Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

How About...

Well, I adviced you to research online first about local stores there selling PC or ask friends or any known people there

or if you want shop online and shipped it,..you could used services like www[dot]viaddress[dot]com or any related , I know this have great service ,.
    or maybe you could partners with already purchased the same you wanted to do also.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Yes they generally do, but it never hurts to check.
    The cable is, again, generally the only difference.
    I thought it was, not sure why they're making a big deal about the switches and plugs if he's willing to spend 5k on a pc.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Not only does microcenter usually have processors for super cheap.. they often have bundles where you get extra dough off instantly with purchase of a motherboard. I got my i7 2600k and asus p8z68-v mobo for 350 bucks total

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post

Here's a pretty interesting image.
    lol Denmark one is funny =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't read the posts before, but:

Have you thought about how you're going to explain a $5000 brand-new gaming PC to the guys at Custom when you get back to Norway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Herpie View Post
    When a DK blocks, he does so with his face.

http://www.ibuypower.com is a really good deal. they'll build you a system for basically what it costs for just the parts and you can choose the exact parts you want. need somewhere to ship it to obviously and they take a couple weeks from when you order it till you receive it, but they're pretty good. the benefits of building your own system while still having only 1 warranty to worry about incase anything is wrong with it.

A 5000 system would probably provide a 10% at best performance boost over one around 2000, I'd suggest getting some better peripherals instead and going with 3930K etc.

Processor:Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor - $599.99
    Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - $379.99
    RAM: 1 x CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - $84
    Graphics Card: 2 x ASUS EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB - $579.98
    Hard Drive: 2 x Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $299.98
    Power Supply: NZXT HALE90-1000-M 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - $209.99

Add SSD/case/cooler of choice

I'd suggest only going SSD and not getting HDD's till the price drops again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    A 5000 system would probably provide a 10% at best performance boost over one around 2000, I'd suggest getting some better peripherals instead and going with 3930K etc.

Processor:Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor - $599.99
    Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - $379.99
    RAM: 1 x CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - $84
    Graphics Card: 2 x ASUS EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB - $579.98
    Hard Drive: 2 x Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $299.98
    Power Supply: NZXT HALE90-1000-M 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - $209.99

Add SSD/case/cooler of choice

I'd suggest only going SSD and not getting HDD's till the price drops again.
    You're already spending that much cash, why leave him with 6950s, he's got the cash and he wants a powerhouse, suggest something that he would care about rather then not.

Either Dual GTX580s or Dual 6970s, or single if he doesn't want it or if he wants to go all out, an Asus MARS II.

Also i don't agree with those HDDs, i've had and seen too many Seagate drives fail on me, why you would are suggesting 2 of them aswell is also a question.

Also from sources the X79 chipset ATM is really picky with memory, did you look that up or randomly pluck one?

15+ Year Old Account
    For Germany i would have suggested the store i work in but it's in the southern parts...

Most of the online shops also have at least one store at their headquarter.

The best online shop i know is www.alternate.de , it's store is in the middle of germany.
    For one with a northern store, i would suggest www.mindfactory.de. They were pretty good and cheap some years ago, no idea how they are now. (Located in Wilhelmshaven, western part of the northern cost)
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Also i don't agree with those HDDs, i've had and seen too many Seagate drives fail on me, why you would are suggesting 2 of them aswell is also a question.
    It's been my experience that if you use any HDD vendor long enough you will run into problems and wish you hadn't dealt with them eventually.

Also, I would assume the 2x config is for striping.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    It's been my experience that if you use any HDD vendor long enough you will run into problems and wish you hadn't dealt with them eventually.

Also, I would assume the 2x config is for striping.
    Having had extensive retail and tech service experience, it's generally Seagate that fails the most for me, i've yet to even see the same amount fail on WD or even Samsung for that.

I probably still have some 400 meg WD drive lying about here if i haven't tossed it out, safe to say i've been busy with things like this for a very long time.

Your assumption would be assumingly incorrect, because that poster instantly refers to use an SSD after his list, negating striping right there.

I'd buy only the graphic card, CPU, motherboard, RAM, maybe HDD if you need, but the rest like case, powersupply, drives like bluray/dvd, you canuse old if you like or buy new. Could even buy ram and motherboard at home, depends on prices really, usually most expensive is the graphic card and CPU, especially graphic card. Then comes motherboard price, the rest is relatively cheaper, depends on how much ram you like too, just pick the correct sockets on the parts. :P

Having had extensive retail and tech service experience, it's generally Seagate that fails the most for me, i've yet to even see the same amount fail on WD or even Samsung for that.

I probably still have some 400 meg WD drive lying about here if i haven't tossed it out, safe to say i've been busy with things like this for a very long time.

Your assumption would be assumingly incorrect, because that poster instantly refers to use an SSD after his list, negating striping right there.
    You asked why someone would link 2x 7200 RPM drives. I responded why they likely posted it. There is no reason why you can't have a SSD as a boot drive and stripe 2 other drives for data. I wouldn't suggest it, but to each their own.

You can easily order from -any- Amazon store (US, Germany, UK, etc) and have it shipped to norway. No need to take a US vacation just to buy a computer 1 year from now.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    You asked why someone would link 2x 7200 RPM drives. I responded why they likely posted it. There is no reason why you can't have a SSD as a boot drive and stripe 2 other drives for data. I wouldn't suggest it, but to each their own.
    It'd be completely and utterly useless to do since you don't need RAID0 speed or possible loss of data when an SSD is in place.

Yes it's possible, but that's rather reaching far when the poster himself suggested it.

Necessity has nothing to do with anything in a $5k build thread :P

Don't you have to pay taxes to bring that pc back to Norway?

and in that case, have you done the math to see if it's really worth it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Like its been said dont trust this stuff to get back home in nice shape, if it even makes it, theft of nice things in airports is huge. My buddy has twice had a CD case stole from his luggage going overseas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Acrimony View Post
    I built a computer for $600 (I used the same monitors/keyboard/mouse/PSU from my old one).

So far it's running Skyrim/BF3/Crysis 2, and everything else I've thrown at it on full graphics with ~60 FPS.

It'll probably last me a year or two. Why would anyone spend so much for a computer? Do you produce several 3D movies simultaneously or something?
    No offense but I highly doubt you're running Skyrim etc. in ultra at ~60fps with a $600 build and I also fail to see the relevance to this thread.

As for the OP, I don't think you thought this through and hopefully with the details provided in here you realize how much of a hassle it can turn out to be. If you're are travelling to The States anyways yes you'll be able to at least by some of the parts. Especially those that don't weigh as much, so probably not the case and PSU.
    Don't forget getting any use of the warranty is pretty much out of the window and if you have any DOA items you're screwed. The idea is great but in a real scenario it's probably not going to work out. With that kind of budget it doesn't sound like you're hurting for money so spend it here in EU, get a beast of a machine and still have money leftover. Ultimately it's your decision of course, just a word of advice.