Poll: Do you want an achievement system in SWTOR?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I don't much care to have them in past dungeon completion achievments, things that require killing bosses a certain way, completing repeatables within so or so time.

I like running a dungeon and having it feel casual, just me and a few people chilling out over the corpses of those foolish enough to stand in my way, trying to involve achievments makes everything professional, we wipe trying to figure out ineffectual strategies and depending of the effectiveness wind up snapping at each other and blaming so and so for not doing a good enough job, ending with a pissed off, dissolved group.

Not to mention it breeds elitism, with people who have gotten the hard achievments lording it over the more casual players who haven't been able to/ had the chance to get it.
    Last edited by Veluren; 2011-12-06 at 04:31 PM.

Never saw the point in achievments...sure it shows others what you have done, but i only ever view it as a way to keep the simple minded playing or at worst a way for want to be elitists to try lord it over those who don't really care.

What???

No achievement system? No fuck-heads saying "please link achievement" in trade?

No LFG? Players can't just act like tools and not suffer the stigma of being an ass and get reprimanded by their peers on a server?

My gods... I may have to buy a copy of SW after all. Just keep sounding better and better.

There is already an achievement system implemented into the game, it is just limited to content achievements at the moment. They said they plan on implementing the random ones shortly after launch.

Lets hope we will never see the "link achiev" behaviour in SWTOR. God it killed so much fun in WoW.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a need to an achievement system. I was against it when they added it and I don't see how it adds any value to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post
    i hate achievements with a passion so No plz fkin NO
    agreed, i've always viewed it as a slap on the back for doing nothing. wolfsheadonline dot com /the-problem-with-the-wow-achievement-system/#38b8a details pretty much all the valid arguments against an achievement system. i guess its good to have it for those who like it but i personally would love an on/off switch.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really hope not. The whole meta-achievement thing for drakes/mounts was just horrible (even though I did most of them), adding an artificial layer of depth to the game whereas in fact it was nothing of the sort.

I don't mind some simple ones e.g. explore all the world, but they would be codex entries anyway. Just not the stupid fake "achievements" please.

Quote Originally Posted by wg15 View Post
    To be a complete WoW clone? Yes. For the game itself. Maybe. Tend to no.

wrong, they never removed a Achievement completely, if you had it before it became a FoS
    WoW didn't invent achievements, that's just completely ignorant to say, SWTOR having achievements wouldn't make it a WoW clone at all.

Sooo... all the people who posted how much they hate achievements. Y'all gonna be ragequitting before TOR even starts - bearing in mind that TOR *does* have achievements?

Interesting, eh? I guess maybe you don't hate them *that* much, though. Or do you?

I support achievements that are actually an achievement.

Like, "Explore the entire available Galaxy" not "Do some quests, accidentally uncover the whole map on the planet you're currently on, get a smiley face sticker".

Or "Attain Top Rank in PvP", not "Attain ANY rank in PvP"

Or "Defeat all the Flashpoints on Heroic Mode" not "Defeat one Flashpoint on Normal Mode"

Basically if I get most of my achievements just for playing the game normally instead of accomplishing something that took either skill or dedication, then that basically makes the achievement system a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrenos View Post
    I support achievements that are actually an achievement.

Like, "Explore the entire available Galaxy" not "Do some quests, accidentally uncover the whole map on the planet you're currently on, get a smiley face sticker".

Or "Attain Top Rank in PvP", not "Attain ANY rank in PvP"

Or "Defeat all the Flashpoints on Heroic Mode" not "Defeat one Flashpoint on Normal Mode"

Basically if I get most of my achievements just for playing the game normally instead of accomplishing something that took either skill or dedication, then that basically makes the achievement system a waste.
    I like this idea, I'd rather just have a macro with my stats/spec/experience, having to know other classes/specs stats(when inviting) and having to explain a boss fight or so to prove I at least knew what to do. Rather than having achievements, not being able to get into groups with alts 'cause people need the damn achievement.

Also, it gives room to lie, I've gotten into guilds based on a lie, so long as you back it up with being good in-game, and acting like you know what you're doing before/during the fight, it doesn't matter! (at 'least until the hardest content, so you can't bs there)

Back when WoW was like that, I used to watch videos and/or read WoWwiki for strat, and actually try the first pull 'til the last pull. Now I just go in and trial and error and don't give a crap.
    Last edited by Lumicide; 2011-12-06 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    Sooo... all the people who posted how much they hate achievements. Y'all gonna be ragequitting before TOR even starts - bearing in mind that TOR *does* have achievements?

Interesting, eh? I guess maybe you don't hate them *that* much, though. Or do you?
    if its how others are saying it will be, a codex which stores what you do without dropping a golden sign across your screen every time you do something that fulfills a requirement, then by all means achieve it up!! Go crazy and time sink til your heart is fully delighted.

Deleted
    I hate achievements they drive me mad, please for the love of god no, just no never ever for the next coming 100 years! If they feel that they must implement them then please, just please allow people who don't want them to toggle them off, and make dungeon achievements unlink-able so they can't use it as requirement to join their group.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but I MUCH prefer their codex to any sort of achievement system. Achievements serve absolutely no purpose at all. The Codex is full of lore, and actually makes going out of your way to fill it WORTH something.

If they added an achievement system that actually served a purpose other than 'hey, look! I have this cool chunk of pixels that says I did something retarded!' then I'm all for it. Give us points that let us buy non-combat pets, tabards, ship parts, whatever they can think of to offer in TOR. Otherwise, no thanks, TOR will be just fine without it.

its missing player housing

I wouldn't mind achievements provided they keep it seperate from PvE progression. Just fun little achievements that encourage exploration and don't reward items in game such as mounts, etc. Titles would be fine though.

A system that can't be used as a way attempting to gauge another players skill level.

Deleted
    I'm not really bothered. I always saw achievements as a cheap way to add "content" that said the ones that are a challenge can be fun like the heroic dungeon one in cata(although it made me really hate some heroics by

The main downside with the group ones is people wanting randoms to help them do achievements. Lost count of the hours wasted with people arguing over which drake achievement to do in Occulus.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrunner View Post
    its missing player housing
    Player ship called, it felt forgotten, they said in an interview that they want to add customization later on and maybe guild ships.

Since people doesnt seem to get it read post #5, achievements are in.

Big enough?
    Last edited by DaGhostDS; 2011-12-07 at 12:58 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it doesn´t need an achievement system which is yet another thing blocking the actual world which you got no reason to explore (in wow that is).
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.