Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

How much weight gainer should I eat?

I have bought some weight gainer (see list below), but I am unsure of I should include this in my diet. I don't think I am getting my daily amount of protein as I should, so even though I don't train on a day, can I eat some weight gainer and if so how much? When I am done with training how much protein is suggested to eat (I train 4 times a week), like 50% of the suggested protein intake for a day or?

100 gram
    Energy 1690 kJ / 400 kcal
    Protein 33 g
    Carbs 59 g
    Fat 3,5 g

10+ Year Old Account
    Cartman? is that you?

BEEFCAKE!!!

On a serious note, why would any non anorexic want to gain weight?
    Is it a wish to be fat?
    Or are you just American?

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-12-06 at 09:16 PM.
    Tarren Mill, EU
    Tussee Level 110
    Ygtitte Level 110, Daènerys Level 110, Hotlava Level 110,
    Palefoot Level 110, Elemulius Level 110, Tussedk Level 110,
    Thuesen Level 110, Briènne Level 110, Tussebank level 110
    Tipoldefar Level 110, Gnarfy Level 110

Quote Originally Posted by iLive View Post
    Q: How much weight gainer should I eat?
    A: All of it. At once.

15+ Year Old Account
    What's up with the trolling? 0.o

Guess I'll find some articles instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tussee View Post
    Cartman? is that you?

BEEFCAKE!!!

Is it a wish to be fat?
    Holy shit, why does everything return back to being Anti-American? Please, enlighten me as to which country you are from so I can make overgeneralizations back to you. Putting on weight and being fat are two different things. But hey, I sure do hope you are from England because that country is just full of muscleless pasty white people. See, I can do it too.

On Topic: Body type? How much do you weigh now? How much weight do you want to add?

People who have a low amount of body fat that want to increase their muscle mass can benefit from weight gainers.

@OP: Are you on some kind of diet that would benefit you? There's plenty of diets that you can follow without grabbing to these kinds of products.
    If you do want some info on these things i'd suggest you ask this at the store you bought it or ask someone in your local fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by tussee View Post
    Cartman? is that you?

BEEFCAKE!!!

Is it a wish to be fat?
    Wow, ignorant much? To me it sounds like he is trying to bulk up.

Op,

So for one don't come to a MMO forum for advice =P Depending on your goals there are much better forums/site to seek advice from.

The rule of thumb I follow is 1g of protein per lb of body weight. So for me, a 220lb man I should try to consume 220gs of protein. But I rarely hit that.

Depending on what your diet currently is, you could swap in a weight gainer shake in place of a small snack. But I would use as a supplement to hit your goal nutrient numbers, not a primary source. Eggs, fish, chicken, bean, nuts, and even some grains are good sources of protein.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Holy shit, why does everything return back to being Anti-American? Please, enlighten me as to which country you are from so I can make overgeneralizations back to you. Putting on weight and being fat are two different things. But hey, I sure do hope you are from England because that country is just full of muscleless pasty white people. See, I can do it too.

On Topic: Body type? How much do you weigh now? How much weight do you want to add?
    Sorry about that, It was meant as a joke.

I come from asmall rotten to the core country in northern Europe called Denmark.
    In Denmark we are not allowed to eat till we burst, the government is controlling that (Communist country?)
    I'm actually envious to you Americans.
    Tarren Mill, EU
    Tussee Level 110
    Ygtitte Level 110, Daènerys Level 110, Hotlava Level 110,
    Palefoot Level 110, Elemulius Level 110, Tussedk Level 110,
    Thuesen Level 110, Briènne Level 110, Tussebank level 110
    Tipoldefar Level 110, Gnarfy Level 110

I'll tell you what bodybuilding.com says and what everyone should agree with.

Supplements like weight gainers are just that; supplements. Focus on getting a good diet first. If your diet is shit, supplements won't suddenly magically make you huge. If you aren't getting your protein from your diet, why not, work out why and fix it. It will be 100x better than supplements. If you aren't getting a good 8 hours of sleep a night, fix that instead. If your form is wrong when you lift, that is one hundred times more important than supplements.

Now, if you're doing all of that and want to add supplements, start with a minimum amount of them and build up until you are comfortable. Don't suddenly just jump in to the max amount, trust me, it will fuck with your stomach big time. They should have a recommended dosage, if not just slowly build up from a very small amount and let your body adjust, as with all dietary changes. If I was eating mcdonalds every day and junk all the time, and wanted to eat healthily, I wouldn't just suddenly one day switch to only fruit and lean cuts of meat, your body would go 'Ohhhh fuck me'. With all dietary changes, make it nice and slow, and ignore the trolls.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    If you're getting half your daily protein requirement from supplements, something's gone wrong with your diet.

WEIGHT IN KG X 2G PRTN = *** DIVDED BY 6 MEALS A DAY =________. you're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Vyil View Post
    When you buy weightgainer or any other supplement, you get a scoop allong with it in the package.
    When theres no description on the package itself, you just take 1 scoop in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, and 1 in the evening.
    With his, that is 1200 calories and 100gs of protein. And depending on his current weight and training habits and diet, that could be very much overkill.

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoTeeth View Post
    WEIGHT IN KG X 2G PRTN = *** DIVDED BY 6 MEALS A DAY =________. you're welcome
    Does not need to be divided by 6 meals, but it can make it easier =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    With his, that is 1200 calories and 100gs of protein. And depending on his current weight and training habits and diet, that could be very much overkill.

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 02:23 PM ----------

Does not need to be divided by 6 meals, but it can make it easier =P
    should be divided by 6meals a day, your body feeds slowly, and cramming into 3 meals a day will actually slow your metabolism rather than keeping it burning at a steady pace the entire day. all protein supplements should be taken between every "main meal".
    breakfast---supp---lunch---supp---dinner---supp(if you're still awake for that long after)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    Wow, ignorant much? To me it sounds like he is trying to bulk up.

Op,

So for one don't come to a MMO forum for advice =P Depending on your goals there are much better forums/site to seek advice from.

The rule of thumb I follow is 1g of protein per lb of body weight. So for me, a 220lb man I should try to consume 220gs of protein. But I rarely hit that.

Depending on what your diet currently is, you could swap in a weight gainer shake in place of a small snack. But I would use as a supplement to hit your goal nutrient numbers, not a primary source. Eggs, fish, chicken, bean, nuts, and even some grains are good sources of protein.
    1g per pound is probably a little excessive. 150g for a 220lb should be enough for healthy weight gain. I guess that is unless you are really looking to bulk up quick.

Deleted
    I think the rule is 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight, meaning just your muscle. You'd need to find out your body fat % and do the math to find out how much that would weigh and subtract it from your overall body weight.

Sorry for being so general, not so great at maths but i'm sure a few google searches could find you some easy to use equations.

Okay for a serious response, to gain weight at a healthy rate, all you have to do is eat 500 calories above your body maintenance. Good a Basic Metabolic rate calculator and find out how many calories your body burns on a daily basis (This is not including any exercise) and eat 500 calories more than that. Simple as that.

For best results, lift weights 2-3 times a week if you can while you eat 500 calories above maintenance.

I would not recommend any "weight gainer". Get some pure whey protein, without all the added garbage they put in weight gainers. You don't want to gain weight, you want to gain muscle. And supplements are secondary anyway. Get a giant barrel of 100% plain oatmeal (they have 3LBer's for 3 bucks at my local grocery), without sugar or other junk added. Eat it... eat TONS of it... eat it all day long. I have it for at least 1 meal every day. When I'm in my hardcore fitness mode, as I am now... oatmeal is the #1 thing for me. It's bland. But what tastes really great is the end result of being in shape.

Gallon of whole milk a day. 2200kcal, and pretty close to perfect bulking macros.

If you can't handle that or fear vitamin d "poisoning," you can explore the weight gainer options. From my experience, they're ridiculously expensive, loaded with simple sugar and stuff you don't need. My roommate bought some from GNC for about double what I pay for whey isolate. Didn't help him a bit.

Fix your diet first, plan your weekly meals and go from there. Just buying a weight gainer and chugging a shake every day on top of a random ass diet won't cut it.

On a side note, what country lists their energy/caloric amounts in kilojoules? That's kinda cool...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Gallon of whole milk a day. 2200kcal, and pretty close to perfect bulking macros.

If you can't handle that or fear vitamin d "poisoning," you can explore the weight gainer options. From my experience, they're ridiculously expensive, loaded with simple sugar and stuff you don't need. My roommate bought some from GNC for about double what I pay for whey isolate. Didn't help him a bit.

Fix your diet first, plan your weekly meals and go from there. Just buying a weight gainer and chugging a shake every day on top of a random ass diet won't cut it.

On a side note, what country lists their energy/caloric amounts in kilojoules? That's kinda cool...
    Denmark does.

One thing a lot of people don't know is that your body can only metabolize a certain amount of protein per serving. If you are in your 20's, then you should only consume about 20g of Protein per serving because that is all your body will use. Anything over that gets wasted and pretty much gets converted to fat. You shouldn't get more than 80g of Protein per day.

As you get older your body actually metabolizes Protein much more efficiently, so you can increase the amount of Protein per serving. For example, a 35 year old male can metabolize approximately 25-28 grams of Protein before it's wasted. Whereas someone in their 60's can get 40+ grams per serving. When I learned all of this I was totally shocked, but it's backed up by lots of science. So if you are getting 33g of protein per serving of your Weight Gainer, you are wasting a lot of that (and putting on fat) if you are in your 20's.

hth

V