Deleted

Ready to buy (?)

Ok, after your great help, here in this forum, I think I'm ready to order my new PC. I just wanna be sure, that everything is perfectly compatible. So here we go:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 Box, LGA1155
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3, Intel Z68, ATX
    CPU Cooler: none
    Memory: 8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9
    Power Supply: Corsair GS Series, 700 Watt
    GPU: Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's
    DVD: ASUS DRW-24B3ST Retail SATA schwarz Nero 9.0
    Case: Antec Two Hundred V2, ATX

So, if you don't find any flaws, I'm gonna order this rig for 780 Euro including Win7 HP.
    Again, thanks for all your help!

Xamael

Buying a Z68 mobo and i5 sandy bridge but you'll be using the stock cooler? Just grab a coolmaster $15-20 cooler. If you'll never OC you might as well downgrade your CPU/mobo to save money

edit: didn't notice you werent getting a K /bonk, then why bother with a Z68 mobo?
    Last edited by iggie; 2011-12-06 at 05:24 PM.

Deleted
    I don't intend to OC. That's why I chose the i5-2500 rather than the i5-2500k. What could I downgrade to, without loosing performance, in these circumstances? (And yea, I was unsure about the MoBo. I don't need Intel HD Graphics either. but I'd like SATA 3.0 support, tho).

And several people suggested to save the money for an aftermarket cooler, as the stock cooler should do well enough without OCing.

You are correct, xam, with the i5 2500 you will not need an after market heatsink/cooler.

Build looks good, xam.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamael View Post
    I don't intend to OC. That's why I chose the i5-2500 rather than the i5-2500k. What could I downgrade to, without loosing performance, in these circumstances? (And yea, I was unsure about the MoBo. I don't need Intel HD Graphics either. but I'd like SATA 3.0 support, tho).

And several people suggested to save the money for an aftermarket cooler, as the stock cooler should do well enough without OCing.
    Really, you'd be spending an extra £30 or so to get the k model and a good enough cooler to hit 4.8ghz (heck I just picked up a corsair A70 brand new for £20). I'd really consider the unlocked multiplier, the extra performance for minimal effort is staggering.

Buuuut... If you're really against overclocking the chip for whatever reason, its a solid choice regardless, rest of the setup seems nice too.
    Last edited by mmoc3784f78918; 2011-12-06 at 03:08 PM.

Deleted
    Well, does anybody know if it'd fit into the case with an aftermarket cooler?

Deleted
    Well, does anybody know if it'd fit into the case with an aftermarket cooler?
    For an antec 200, some of the larger heatsinks wouldn't fit, i'm pretty certain a hyper 212+ would fit just fine though, and they are great coolers for the price.

Honestly, Xamael, I find overclocking to be completely overrated. In my opinion, the only benefit of overclocking a CPU like the 2500 is bragging rights. At stock speeds, it will tackle almost anything you throw at it.

Overclocking, especially if you've never done it, can do more harm than good; your build looks good the way it is (although you may wanna consider a different version of Windows 7, Home Premium is pretty limited).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-12-06 at 04:32 PM.

Deleted
    I5-2500k, any quality HS, ASUS MB, AI Suite and hit the auto-tune button and you'll have a stable 4.3-4.4GHz no problem. ASUS auto OC is pretty solid.

I wouldn't say overclocking is overrated, depending on what you need it for 4.3-4.4 is a nice boost. I would say anything beyond that, yes it's "just" bragging rights and much harder to keep stable (depending on the chip).

Deleted
    Yeah, I think I'm not overclocking this PC. Heck, it's the 1st one buy in which I chose every piece for myself. Think that's a good enuf lerning curve for me. OCing next time. And as I'm using a Z68 MoBo, I should be able to switch out the CPU later for a new ivybridge, so hell... I'll stay with the i5-2500.

Thanks for your suggestions tho

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 07:08 PM ----------

Last chance for pre-build... how do you like this Acer (it's basically the same price, sorry for german)

P.S. never mind... nobody is selling this thingy
    Last edited by mmoc854d821406; 2011-12-06 at 06:21 PM.

Have fun with the build :-) my only last thoughts would be to check out WD caviar black even if you are 'stuck' with a 500gb system.
    You can easily add a quality ssd down the line. Good luck!

For the HDD, you can always just grab a external drive and crack it open. I believe, Target has a WD Elements 2TB external drive for $90. All you do is take a small screwdriver to the casing and it will pry open. I also believe that it is the black drive (as long as you get the black box one. Also heard that the ones made in Malaysia are the black drives). Staples too has (or had, might have been last week) a 1.5TB WD Black external drive for $68. This is much cheaper way of buying a hdd.

Deleted
    Whoa, are you telling me that I could buy an external HDD, crack the case open and it will fit into my case without any additions? O_o

like... this one?

Just one last tip before you start building: checkout neweggs videos for building a PC. There are three videos and they do a great job of teaching you what to do and what not to do. Can't link ATM but just Google newegg building a new PC.

---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 02:45 PM ----------

Whoa, are you telling me that I could buy an external HDD, crack the case open and it will fit into my case without any additions? O_o

like... this one?
    What Ad is saying sounds interesting, but i personally would not do that. Baby steps on a first build!

Deleted
    Thanks for the tip, but in the end I won't build it myself. The site I'm ordering from is offering to build it for 20 Euro. If I go and buy these anti-static-gloves and some screwdrivers it's as expensive. And I know I would breal some part... most likely an expensive one XD

Deleted
    Wristband, you really don't need that. Just touch the PSU/case once in a while and you're set. You don't have a screwdriver?! Just teasing, paying 20 for it is not bad at all. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monster View Post
    What Ad is saying sounds interesting, but i personally would not do that. Baby steps on a first build!
    It's saving you a good deal of money for a minute of work. No baby steps required.

I've taking apart a good amount of western digital drives and for the most part, they are all the same. I've mostly taken the small 'passport' ones apart and use the 2.5" drives in my laptops/xbox/ps3 since I bought them cheaper that way. The issue with the passports (or any WD 2.5" external drives are that you *might* get one that has the usb connector soldered onto the drive. In that case, you're out of luck).

The one you linked would be fine, you simply unscrew their screws and remove the circuit board. If you yourself are going to take it apart then a few sites like (http://bychaw.blogspot.com/2011/02/h...-elements.html or http://icesquare.com/wordpress/how-t...rd-drive-case/) show just how easy it is.