Thread: Loot in GW2

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Loot in GW2

I've looked through some of the information found online but since I didn’t play GW1 for very long I’m curious to know what the general state of loot is proposed to be in GW2? For starters, can you pick up decent loot (gear, weapons, and craft materials) from random creatures you kill during your exploration and how will this compare to loot from quests etc?
    The main reason I ask is because there are days where my time is limited and I like to just go out and hone my skills killing random mobs all the while earning so I can afford the goodies in game. I genuinely miss being able to open a corpse and get that rush when I find an awesome item…..stems from the days I played Asheron’s Call when every corpse could be a Christmas present!

Correct me if I'm wrong but yes, certain mobs will drop certain items. Similar to world drops. However, since GW2 isn't encouraging grinding. It won't be necessary to grind DE's, kill mobs until you find an upgrade. Upgrades can be bought/crafted whenever you need to.

Deleted
    Well, don't know about that but I know you get a nice weapon from running the story mode of a dungeon, which is supposed to be the starting level and not that difficult. You can always do dynamic events as well and get karma points, which you can probably spend on gear. And if GW1 is an example for GW2, crafting will also give some nice items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    For starters, can you pick up decent loot (gear, weapons, and craft materials) from random creatures you kill during your exploration and how will this compare to loot from quests etc?
    I've seen decent items drops off world mobs in demo vids, that said I'm sure the level of the mob has to be taken into consideration when hoping for an upgrade. I think it's also good to mention that the dungeon bosses (and world bosses) drop loot for everyone involved. The quality and volume of the loot is based on participation in the kill. So if you don't have a ton of time and have horrible luck with drops (like me), that should keep you excited.

Deleted
    You obtain gear by:
    - killing random mobs
    - killing players in WvWvW (when you kill a player he drops loot just like a mob)
    - buying armor and weapons for Karma points gathered from every DE
    - clearing dungeons in story mode
    - collecting elite (unique dungeon themed skins) weapons/armor sets by clearing dungeons in explorer mode
    - buying from other players
    - crafting
    - also by playing through structured PVP will grant you unique skins/armor

I'm sure I've missed more.

10+ Year Old Account
    ---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 10:13 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuj View Post
    I've seen decent items drops off world mobs in demo vids, that said I'm sure the level of the mob has to be taken into consideration when hoping for an upgrade. I think it's also good to mention that the dungeon bosses (and world bosses) drop loot for everyone involved. The quality and volume of the loot is based on participation in the kill. So if you don't have a ton of time and have horrible luck with drops (like me), that should keep you excited.
    Justin, I can so relate to the terrible drops, suffered that through the year I stomached WoW! By the way, you gotta love that avatar, seven full mugs….that’s marrying material right there lol!
    Last edited by Vlad Morbius; 2011-12-06 at 03:13 PM.

I'm a little worried about this loot system.

Does anyone else feel like this has a chance to saturate the market with rare goods?

I mean, if you have 100 people on opening day all killing in one area. They all kill the same mob, and they ALL get loot.
    That's 100 loot drops per mob. Yes, it won't actually be that extreme, but I feel like there could be rare-item market saturation.

I'm assuming they're going to make droprates ridiculously low, but it's just a worry of mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HarlekinFilx View Post
    I'm a little worried about this loot system.

Does anyone else feel like this has a chance to saturate the market with rare goods?

I mean, if you have 100 people on opening day all killing in one area. They all kill the same mob, and they ALL get loot.
    That's 100 loot drops per mob. Yes, it won't actually be that extreme, but I feel like there could be rare-item market saturation.

I'm assuming they're going to make droprates ridiculously low, but it's just a worry of mine.
    I'm pretty sure most rare items will be from the elite zones, well the rare's that everyone will be wanting, kinda like ectos in GW1
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just excited that there will be dropped items and I don't need to grind dailies or need to do dungeon crawls over and over and over with a chance at maybe getting what I need!
    I cannot wait for the day I can log in and get away from; dailies, raiding, trinity, grinding, waiting in queues, funneled progression, and terms like welfare epics, pugs, tanks, healers, gearscore, recount etc.

from what i've understood so far, when killing minions you are only eligible for a loot roll, ie it still falls down to luck.
    even if 100 people out of 100 who hit the same mob each get some loot, it's unlikely they'll all get the ubber-OP-skinned armor at the same time. most might actually get crappy stuff.

A while ago Ghostcrawler commented that "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff."

If that's the case then Guild Wars is a game about customizing your stuff.

Max armor is max armor... any max-level bow or dagger hits just as hard as any other. The "upgrades" come through unlocking different modifications (some examples) which allow you to be more flexible and create effective combos, NOT from raw numbers increases. And of course there are tons of cosmetic sets to chase as well.

It's an awesome system because 1) it creates real choice, and 2) it allows you to stop playing for a while without falling behind.

That's GW1... the philosophy may be completely different in GW2. Just wanted to throw this out there because I sense a lot of "how does the gear power-creep treadmill work?" thinking in these threads, and personally I think & hope that the gear power-creep treadmill will not exist.
    Last edited by Wyrmrider; 2011-12-07 at 11:03 AM.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am so unfamiliar with guild wars looting. So you guys think gw2 will be the same type of system?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmrider View Post
    A while ago Ghostcrawler commented that "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff."

If that's the case then Guild Wars is a game about customizing your stuff.

Max armor is max armor... any max-level bow or dagger hits just as hard as any other. The "upgrades" come through unlocking different modifications (some examples) which allow you to be more flexible and create effective combos, NOT from raw numbers increases. And of course there are tons of cosmetic sets to chase as well.

It's an awesome system because 1) it creates real choice, and 2) it allows you to stop playing for a while without falling behind.

That's GW1... the philosophy may be completely different in GW2. Just wanted to throw this out there because I sense a lot of "how does the gear power-creep treadmill work?" thinking in these threads, and personally I think & hope that the gear power-creep treadmill will not exist.
    Guild Wars is a game about playing what you want to play, do what you want to do, and don't feel obligated to go with the flow or else you'll be outgeared and not special.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    I am so unfamiliar with guild wars looting. So you guys think gw2 will be the same type of system?
    I think it will be closer to the GW1 system then the WoW system, yes. But I have nothing solid to base that on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmrider View Post
    I think it will be closer to the GW1 system then the WoW system, yes. But I have nothing solid to base that on.
    Actually we have very clear info regarding looting.

Kill a mob->click the corpse->loot items. You can't "tag" mobs, as long as you do at least 15% damage to a mob you have full loot - both you and the person who helped you. Loot is not shared, you have separate "loot bags" so in theory you both can get a "rare drop".

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's my hope that there is a decent system in place, another question I’ve had is about the storage aspect. Has there been information regarding the amount of pack space you will have, if there are personal bank systems set up, or storage etc?

does anyone know if stats on loot will increase exponentially each expansion? like in wow.
    i m personally unhappy about the inelegant solution of having to squish all stats on gear when every new expansion comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    For starters, can you pick up decent loot (gear, weapons, and craft materials) from random creatures you kill during your exploration and how will this compare to loot from quests etc?
    The main reason I ask is because there are days where my time is limited and I like to just go out and hone my skills killing random mobs all the while earning so I can afford the goodies in game. I genuinely miss being able to open a corpse and get that rush when I find an awesome item…..stems from the days I played Asheron’s Call when every corpse could be a Christmas present!
    They did state (many of times) that they don't want people who have time time to dungeon to have an advantage over people who may not have that much time at a time to devote who may just do "questing" or drop in open world raids, or crafting... that dungeons would drop tokens for pieces rather then gear and that what you buy from them have no stat advantage over other ways people get gear, but have a unique look so people know that you dungeoned for your gear.

I agree and disagree with this way of thinking for multiple reasons, but at the end of the day if what I like to do is fun for me, and if what I am doing is balanced for a standard gear then good. Advantage to this "all ways to get loot have same stats on the loot" means that things can be balanced without worrying about gear, if you raid a lot you don't have to worry about dungeons being to weak for your gear, if you quest a lot but your friend brings you to a raid you don't have to worry about being undergeared, without loot advantages to where you get it from it means that they can control how easy or hard something is to do since there is no over or under gearing something for doing or not doing something before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but yes, certain mobs will drop certain items. Similar to world drops. However, since GW2 isn't encouraging grinding. It won't be necessary to grind DE's, kill mobs until you find an upgrade. Upgrades can be bought/crafted whenever you need to.
    Fairly sure they stated that they did not want xxx mob to be grinded for xxx piece so will not have mob specific loot tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    does anyone know if stats on loot will increase exponentially each expansion? like in wow.
    i m personally unhappy about the inelegant solution of having to squish all stats on gear when every new expansion comes out.
    Compairing how they did "expansions" for GW1 it is hard to tell how they will handle them for GW2 since most of them where separate from the rest and where stand-a-lone besides the most recent one. Regardless since they do not have a tier system at "end game" and since even if your level 80 if you go back to a level 5 "quest" area your stats and damage will be scaled down to as if you where level 7-8ish it does not really matter how their stats do or don't bloat since what your doing and who your doing it with will scale your stats up or down accordingly.
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2011-12-07 at 05:42 PM.

i did not play gw... did they inflate stats with each new expansions then? i read that the max lvl in gw was 20 so i think they paced stat inflation then. but in gw2 the max is 80 i think... so if they have stat inflation like wow, numbers will get pretty ridiculous in a few expansions.

i m assuming gw2 will have tiered raid content after a player hits max lvl.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    i did not play gw... did they inflate stats with each new expansions then? i read that the max lvl in gw was 20 so i think they paced stat inflation then. but in gw2 the max is 80 i think... so if they have stat inflation like wow, numbers will get pretty ridiculous in a few expansions.

i m assuming gw2 will have tiered raid content after a player hits max lvl.
    There is zero, null, nada stat progression. Even after expansion top items will have the same stats. It's confirmed also they are not planning any raids at all. Actually they are not even considering them, so it's pretty safe to assume there will never be raids in GW2.

Instead of raids there are Explorer Mode Dungeons (5man), where encounters are very hard. From every dungeon you can collect unique themed armor and weapons. But item level will be the same across all explorer mode dungeons so there is no "tiered content".

To recap:
    - all top level items have the same item level
    - expansion will not introduce stat inflation
    - there are no raids available in GW2, they are replaced by hard mode dungeons
    - you can "transfer" stats from one item to another via transmutation stone which allows you to create your own personal set without gimping yourself