Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Nice reading indeed, thanks.

would trivialize end game gear progression and stop rewarding successful and dedicated players for their efforts.
    Almost made me squeal. This has me hopeful for the future end game (they think of real raiders).

Dense here, so I can still make the hilts and upgrade my light saber over and over?
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROWASHU View Post
    Dense here, so I can still make the hilts and upgrade my light saber over and over?
    If it's orange you can keep upgrading if forever and stay competetive.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great read, and very logical. I just have one problem that is not discussed, and that is color crystals having stats. For example, you would never ever use the pre-order color crystal at end game because it only has +4 endurance. If instead the color crystals didn't have stats you could costumize the color freely without being penalized. I don't think the pre-order color is available in good stats at end game, neither through crafting nor drops, since it's a unique color crystal. That sucks.

I've been looking through torhead and noticed that a lot of gear has an Augment mod slot. Does anyone know where they come from? I can't find a crew skill that makes them, at least according to the data on torhead.
    #TeamTinkers

What does he mean by "Op gear will only be partially moddable"? Does he mean that Op gear will have all of the slots, but a few of those slots will come with a mod that can't be removed? Or does he mean that Op gear will simply lack certain slots? I hope the latter isn't the case, I could see that causing problems later on down the road. Under that system, level 48-50 gear that's fully moddable, with all available slots, could theoretically be more powerful than Op gear, simply because fully moddable gear with all slots available has the capacity for more stats to be inserted into it, resulting in higher character numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin View Post
    Great read, and very logical. I just have one problem that is not discussed, and that is color crystals having stats. For example, you would never ever use the pre-order color crystal at end game because it only has +4 endurance. If instead the color crystals didn't have stats you could costumize the color freely without being penalized. I don't think the pre-order color is available in good stats at end game, neither through crafting nor drops, since it's a unique color crystal. That sucks.
    Yeah that does kinda suck... I was hoping they'd add scaling versions to the Crystal Vendor. So you can buy the 4 end one, then every say ten levels there would be a new one that unlocks, with stats appropriate to your level.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    After reading that post, I'm questioning my decision to be an Artificer. I think I want to pick up Synthweaving now...

Decisions....
    I have the same quandary. I feel like Artifice definitely fits the Jedi lore better. I'm actually somewhat peeved by the idea that non-Jedi classes have the ability to learn that Crew Skill. Lore-wise, only Jedi ever knew how to make lightsabers.

With that said, I'm leaning towards Synthweaving on my main JK Sentinel. Reason being, that Synthweaving is the only Crew Skill I can see with BoP Artifact-quality patterns at 50 for all armor slots. Seems to be that having better gear in as many armor slots as possible would likely be the best way to go for character performance. I've been combing TORhead the past couple days, getting a feel for items, and Artifice does not have many BoP patterns. Keep in mind, by BoP I don't mean the schematic itself, but rather the product of the schematic, the item that you actually craft with it. Artifice DOES have Relic patterns of Artifact quality that are BoP, but that only covers two gear slots, as opposed to Synthweaving, which would cover... crap, I can't remember... four, or five? Head, chest, legs, boots, wrist, gloves? Okay, six. At any rate, Synthweaving crafts gear for more slots. Everything else that's useful from Artifice (i.e. crystals, enhancements, and hilts) are ALL BoE, so it's definitely feasible to pick up Artifice on an alt, and then craft stuff for your main and send it in the mail.

I'm not sure whether or not I want to have Artifice on my main, part of me cringes at the lore of having a different profession. I kind of want to create as much of a real Jedi as I can. But I'm really leaning towards Synthweaving so far on the main, and putting Artifice on a JC Shadow alt. Since all of the craftable mods, crystals, and hilts that I've seen so far are BoE, I don't see a need to main Artifice from a gameplay efficiency perspective, I can just ship stuff to my Sentinel.

Quote Originally Posted by MagusGothica View Post
    What does he mean by "Op gear will only be partially moddable"? Does he mean that Op gear will have all of the slots, but a few of those slots will come with a mod that can't be removed? Or does he mean that Op gear will simply lack certain slots? I hope the latter isn't the case, I could see that causing problems later on down the road. Under that system, level 48-50 gear that's fully moddable, with all available slots, could theoretically be more powerful than Op gear, simply because fully moddable gear with all slots available has the capacity for more stats to be inserted into it, resulting in higher character numbers.
    I take it to mean that all of the slots aren't going to be available, for example a chest piece with only the Mod and Enhancement slots available and not the Armoring.
    #TeamTinkers

Quote Originally Posted by nyoan View Post
    This made me so happy. I'm firmly going Cybertech now.
    You know you don't *have* to main Cybertech, right? Once again, the mods craftable by Cybertech that I've seen on TORhead so far are ALL BoE, meaning that you can easily send them from a crafting toon to your main. Only BoP items that Cybertech makes are Artifact quality Ear slot items at level 50. Just sayin', you could put that on an alt and main something more directly useful to your character, like Armstech or Armormech.

Quote Originally Posted by MagusGothica View Post
    I have the same quandary. I feel like Artifice definitely fits the Jedi lore better. I'm actually somewhat peeved by the idea that non-Jedi classes have the ability to learn that Crew Skill. Lore-wise, only Jedi ever knew how to make lightsabers.

With that said, I'm leaning towards Synthweaving on my main JK Sentinel. Reason being, that Synthweaving is the only Crew Skill I can see with BoP Artifact-quality patterns at 50 for all armor slots. Seems to be that having better gear in as many armor slots as possible would likely be the best way to go for character performance. I've been combing TORhead the past couple days, getting a feel for items, and Artifice does not have many BoP patterns. Keep in mind, by BoP I don't mean the schematic itself, but rather the product of the schematic, the item that you actually craft with it. Artifice DOES have Relic patterns of Artifact quality that are BoP, but that only covers two gear slots, as opposed to Synthweaving, which would cover... crap, I can't remember... four, or five? Head, chest, legs, boots, wrist, gloves? Okay, six. At any rate, Synthweaving crafts gear for more slots. Everything else that's useful from Artifice (i.e. crystals, enhancements, and hilts) are ALL BoE, so it's definitely feasible to pick up Artifice on an alt, and then craft stuff for your main and send it in the mail.

I'm not sure whether or not I want to have Artifice on my main, part of me cringes at the lore of having a different profession. I kind of want to create as much of a real Jedi as I can. But I'm really leaning towards Synthweaving so far on the main, and putting Artifice on a JC Shadow alt. Since all of the craftable mods, crystals, and hilts that I've seen so far are BoE, I don't see a need to main Artifice from a gameplay efficiency perspective, I can just ship stuff to my Sentinel.
    I am still leaning Artifice because I will be a Guardian tank and Artificing creates shield generators which are used by tanks. Combine that with hilts, crystals and enhancements, I hope I will also make a decent amount of credits from it. What you mention in your post about BOPs, etc has me thinking about it further though.

I'm sorta glad this tough decision exists for me.
    #TeamTinkers

10+ Year Old Account
    A little clarification on what they said with epic items being "not completely moddable"

Every weapon and armor that is "fully moddable" has three (armor) or four (weapon) slots. One of these slots (hilts for lightsabers, barrels for guns, and armoring for armor) increases the base damage or armor of the piece. Weapons have color crystals, that change the color of the beam (and have incidental base stats like a little endurance), and all pieces have an "enhancement" slot and a "mod" slot. Occasionally, a piece can be made with an additional "augment" slot that uses a different kind of piece (I got a shield like that through a crafting crit in the thanksgiving beta).

Normally, when a piece is "fully moddable", it would have no base stats, or just trivial ones like a little weapon damage or armor, until it has mods placed in it. Think white gear from WoW - extremely basic, with a little damage or armor rating, and no strength or endurance or haste or anything.

Partially moddable gear has some of these mod slots hard coded (I guess thats the best way to put it) in the piece, so they can't be replaced or removed. So a light saber (for example) can have the equivalent of a Resolve Hilt 6 in it (one of the possible crafted hilts) that can't be removed, then a moddable enhancement, mod, and color crystal slot. Or, more often (from what I saw), it will have a moddable Color Crystal slot, then the rest will be hard-coded.

The only mods that affect the base damage or armor are hilts, barrels, and armoring. The rest affect your primary stat (aim/cunning/willpower/strength), your endurance, or a secondary stat (alacrity, surge, etc) depending on the slot and the actual mod.

I'm not sure exactly what will be available to be switched in and out of a given "partially moddable" piece, but I'm guessing at least the hilt/barrel/armoring will be hard coded, to make it less trivial to upgrade a piece's base stats. You could very well see epic weapons with only color crystal slots, for cosmetic changes, but keeping base stats.

I'm glad they decided to make epic mods drops though, I loved having a specific look (even if my Miraluka's eye veil clipped with hoods funny) that I could change around. And, some of the social gear looked pretty awesome, like Leia's slave outfit, or Alderaan noble gear, etc.
    Last edited by gualdhar; 2011-12-07 at 03:28 PM.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Deleted
    Nice gualdhar, thanks for the clarification.