View Poll Results: How do you feel about P.C.?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • America is too politically correct

    206 82.73%
  • America is not politically correct enough

    24 9.64%
  • It is fine the way it is.

    19 7.63%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    If we'd stop being assholes about race, then diversification would occur naturally.
    The issue is the status quo. It's an issue because it's based off of white priviledge. In order for diversification to happen we would have to destroy so much it would just never happen nor would it be allowed too.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Prudes... what are you gonna do? /shrug
    Oh sorry, I didn't realize encouraging a formally inclusive language was "prudish".

  3. #43
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindelan View Post
    They tried to call my Christmas tree a Holiday tree. Them's fightin' words.
    That actually bugs me because Christmas actually originated as a pagan celebration of the solstice. And even in its modern form it can be celebrated as a completely secular holiday, so there's no need to get anal about not saying "Merry Christmas."

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  4. #44
    When language that's used to demean sexual orientation, race, religion, gender is used casually and in a derogatory fashion, and the person using the language thinks the people who're targeted (even unintentionally) should put up with it because they should take a joke, they need to realize that at some point, it stops being fun to be the punching bag.

    For a gay person to hear every bad thing in the world being called "gay" or every time you want to belittle someone a "fag", hell, even the fact that we still use "you play like a girl" or "man up" to indicate poor performance or as incentive to perform better is indicative that this isn't about political correctness, it's about living in a world where you're not victimized by language used casually by people who're not affected by its use.

    And no, just because a gay person uses "fag" in a derogatory fashion and if a woman uses "pussy" in the same way doesn't make it okay.

    Political Correctness is a terrible term for asking to be treated in a way that doesn't exclude someone from common culture. But language takes a very long time to change, even if the intentions behind it aren't necessarily mean. Pervasive discrimination is usually invisible and unintended. That's what makes it so terrible.

  5. #45
    I go with Merry Christmakwanzakah just to make sure that I insult everyone fairly.

  6. #46
    Stood in the Fire Theleklol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by I No I FeaR I View Post
    To the Americans who were spoon fed Christian morals and taught that being Christian is the only right way, saying Merry Christmas isn't a big deal to them, because they don't realize that everyone ISN'T Christian and that they actually ARE pushing their religion on someone else...because incase you didn't realize, the word Christmas has the word "Christ" in it, which some people do not believe in/follow. "Happy Holidays" is a better general statement to say to people, no matter what their religion is.
    Christmasisafederalholiday.gov

    Saying two words isn't forcing your religion on someone, although if you're really that sensitive, maybe you should live inside a bubble.

    Sorry, that was mean. Viva Festivus. Oops, sorry. I'm forcing my non-commercialism on you.

    Happy Assimilation Day, everyone.
    Temple of Light-ShadowsongUS
    Get Along Gang-ShadowsongUS (Disbanded)
    ~Alanaria~:::Cyclønite:::Thelek

  7. #47
    I once had a teacher.
    And a girl in my class disagreed with his teaching methods.
    Teacher ran out of the class, told to principal, and then the principal came in and told us that the teacher was insulted to his very core.

    People are getting too comfortable due to the lack of bigger things nearby, like wars.

  8. #48
    Stood in the Fire Theleklol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    That actually bugs me because Christmas actually originated as a pagan celebration of the solstice. And even in its modern form it can be celebrated as a completely secular holiday, so there's no need to get anal about not saying "Merry Christmas."
    You said a funny word. That means something not as funny.

    On-topic: It's roughly equivalent to a 'DON'T TAKE THE LORD'S NAME IN VAIN' reaction when you say something like "Goddamn".
    Temple of Light-ShadowsongUS
    Get Along Gang-ShadowsongUS (Disbanded)
    ~Alanaria~:::Cyclønite:::Thelek

  9. #49
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Theleklol View Post
    Christmasisafederalholiday.gov

    Saying two words isn't forcing your religion on someone, although if you're really that sensitive, maybe you should live inside a bubble.

    Sorry, that was mean. Viva Festivus. Oops, sorry. I'm forcing my non-commercialism on you.

    Happy Assimilation Day, everyone.
    If a Jew came up to me and said Happy Hanukkah, I'd appreciate the sentiment. There is no way I'd view it as "rude" or "evangelicalism." The Jew was just being nice. Besides, he's wishing me happiness for eight days. That's seven more days than a Merry Christmas!

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  10. #50
    The ntire world is too politically correct. Say something that someone might not appreciate and everyone will be uå in arms about it.

    But the US as a whole being politcally correct? Well, I'll just drop "Guantanamo" in there...

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Saif View Post
    When language that's used to demean sexual orientation, race, religion, gender is used casually and in a derogatory fashion, and the person using the language thinks the people who're targeted (even unintentionally) should put up with it because they should take a joke, they need to realize that at some point, it stops being fun to be the punching bag.

    For a gay person to hear every bad thing in the world being called "gay" or every time you want to belittle someone a "fag", hell, even the fact that we still use "you play like a girl" or "man up" to indicate poor performance or as incentive to perform better is indicative that this isn't about political correctness, it's about living in a world where you're not victimized by language used casually by people who're not affected by its use.

    And no, just because a gay person uses "fag" in a derogatory fashion and if a woman uses "pussy" in the same way doesn't make it okay.

    Political Correctness is a terrible term for asking to be treated in a way that doesn't exclude someone from common culture. But language takes a very long time to change, even if the intentions behind it aren't necessarily mean. Pervasive discrimination is usually invisible and unintended. That's what makes it so terrible.
    I agree there needs to be boundaries, but I think its too extreme in today's society. People need to understand they are in control of their own thoughts and feelings.

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 10:30 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    If a Jew came up to me and said Happy Hanukkah, I'd appreciate the sentiment. There is no way I'd view it as "rude" or "evangelicalism." The Jew was just being nice. Besides, he's wishing me happiness for eight days. That's seven more days than a Merry Christmas!
    See... perfect example of choosing to be positive rather than negative. If everyone were like that on a larger scale, we wouldn't have this discussion.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    Or when muslim want to build a structure right next to 911 to make a statement, and we have to allow them to be politically correct.

    This right here is why political correctness exists in the united states. First of all, it's several blocks away, which is a fair distance away in a city. Saying "right next to it" is just ignorant of you. Obviously you've never lived in a city before. Second of all, it's a community centre with planned outreach programs to help the poor and needy. Should we also not allow churches to be built in Wako, Texas?

    If you hate political correctness so much, then maybe you should stop having ignorant opinions about issues you don't understand?

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    1st off... I'm registered as independent.
    I'm not even registered as independent, so I am more independent than you are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    Or when muslim want to build a structure right next to 911 to make a statement, and we have to allow them to be politically correct.
    Uhm... What?

  14. #54
    Dreadlord ryoukthebloodelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Where am I ?!
    Posts
    762
    there was a quote once about political correctness just being another way to take away freedoms...I think it had something to do with the soviets.
    Ben Kenobi "This isn't the signature you are looking for."

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    my grade school used to have playground equipment. then some kids got hurt...

    now if kids want to go outside and play soccer for recess, they're not allowed to run.

    they're not allowed to run during soccer.
    Not political correctness... Complain to the kid's lawyer...

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    This right here is why political correctness exists in the united states. First of all, it's several blocks away, which is a fair distance away in a city. Saying "right next to it" is just ignorant of you. Obviously you've never lived in a city before. Second of all, it's a community centre with planned outreach programs to help the poor and needy. Should we also not allow churches to be built in Wako, Texas?

    If you hate political correctness so much, then maybe you should stop having ignorant opinions about issues you don't understand?
    Why do you think they chose to build a moque there? They could of chosen other locations but they chose this location. Why do you think? You think it was because thats where all the muslims are located? its a cultural center, not a community center.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    If we'd stop being blah about race, then diversification would occur naturally.
    Have you read Othello? That was written hundreds of years before the civil rights moment, where a black man was treated with more respect than would be seen in the US until nearly 400 years after the death of Shakespeare. In the US, we went only 50 years from interracial marriage being illegal to a man as a result of interracial relationship being president. How many years did it take for slaves to get the right to vote?

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-06 at 11:12 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    Why do you think they chose to build a moque there? They could of chosen other locations but they chose this location. Why do you think? You think it was because thats where all the muslims are located? its a cultural center, not a community center.
    There is an actual mosque that's closer to it than the one being built. I think the most obvious and glaring reason for that even being an issue, is cut throat politicians that wanted to get elected on this none sense instead of issues facing America. It's quite obvious when the most vocal opponents lose it from their rhetoric as soon as the mid term elections concluded. But it worked...

  18. #58
    Pandaren Monk Iron Dome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    1st off... I'm registered as independent. Neither Republican nor Liberal, so it has nothing to do with that. As times are changing and are population conitnues to grow, I've noticed over the last decade that US is becoming extremely politically correct in almost every aspect (i believe it has a lot to do with technology, but thats another topic). I believe there was polls done a while back by the media that about 70% of Americans believe we are becoming too politcally correct, 20% said were weren't politically correct enough, and the 10% said were fine as is. I guess I fall under the majority of that poll and want to know what you guys think.

    I'm sorry but I think people are becoming too thin skinned. People need to take accountability for their own feelings. I made the same mistake myself, I wasn't accountable for the way I react to other people's comments. This forum is a perfect example seen everyday of it. You unintentionally say one thing and is blown out of proportion by the receiver as if you intended to hurt that person's feelings. Even if someone did try to hurt your feelings, doesn't mean you have no control over it. For example; The moderators will lock topics under religious beliefs because of "being politically correct" when it should be a free topic to discuss without other people getting butt hurt because someone else doesn't agree. Or when muslim want to build a structure right next to 911 to make a statement, and we have to allow them to be politically correct.

    I have to deal with it all the time at work beause I have work with the public and I think I am just venting. sorry.
    Overall, your concept of people being too politicaly correct is a valid point, and also a valid point is when posters get worked up about a single word that doesn't make a difference. I often find people do this so they can avoid the rest of the post, which is just plain stupid.

    However, there has to be some sort of political correctness. For example, it simply isn't appropriate for the president to refer to a black person as "ni**er" or a Jew as "kike" or a homosexual person as "fag" or a Muslim as a "Muzzie." It simply isn't right.

    That said, when I think of political correctness, I find that it is a far worse - and much much more serious issue - in Europe, where previous colonialists and racists try to make it as though they're angels, and feel badly about their ancestors' racism and Social Darwinism, so they tolerate everyone, including mass murderers. It's so bad, that in places like Norway, you can have 300 rapes in 6 months, but because a certain group is doing it, it will be barely reported. And when it is, they'll say the blame is other people's fault.

    So yes, you are right, but I find it is taken to the extreme in Europe/EU, and is far worse than in America.

    Just my opinion.


  19. #59
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    This right here is why political correctness exists in the united states. First of all, it's several blocks away, which is a fair distance away in a city. Saying "right next to it" is just ignorant of you. Obviously you've never lived in a city before. Second of all, it's a community centre with planned outreach programs to help the poor and needy. Should we also not allow churches to be built in Wako, Texas?

    If you hate political correctness so much, then maybe you should stop having ignorant opinions about issues you don't understand?
    Not to mention the "mosque" (its not a mosque, IIRC, its an activity center like a YMCA with a prayer room) is being built on the same street as a Gentleman's Strip Club.

    Yep, hallowed ground indeed.

    Not political correctness... Complain to the kid's lawyer...
    It's still stupid. Kids are suppose to fall down and skin their knees. Its part of being a kid. That may be more overprotectiveness and less PC but still, its stupid.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    Why do you think they chose to build a moque there? They could of chosen other locations but they chose this location. Why do you think? You think it was because thats where all the muslims are located? its a cultural center, not a community center.
    That place was available. Lots of Muslim population live nearby. Its a short commute through bus or train. I mean really it takes only half an hour to get from bronx to manhattan through subway. Because of urban population, there are not many place to build a mosque. Some communities don't even have one due to no space being available. Beside, only the top floor suppose to have mosque, below was gym, community center, place of worship for jewish residents. i don't know what to call it. When you said "lots of location" keep in mind this is NY. Space is premium. Not to mention, Commute also has to factor in. Mosque can't be in upstate or far away area like that because most people don't drive NY.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •