Poll: How do you feel about P.C.?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anecdotal cases of people blowing political correctness out of proportion does not justify disregarding all vestiges of respect of diversity. Political correctness should be a device for approaching a topic in a way that includes all possible participants, not a tool for preventing the conversation in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Anecdotal cases of people blowing political correctness out of proportion does not justify disregarding all vestiges of respect of diversity. Political correctness should be a device for approaching a topic in a way that includes all possible participants, not a tool for preventing the conversation in the first place.
    A common thread among those who complain about political correctness is the assumption that the problem is society is not conforming their perspective and norms.

Its rather selfish.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I couldn't care what color/gender/nationality you are.

If you are an asshole to me, you are going to get treated as such.

This being said, I would definitely agree that the US has become entirely too sensitive to being PC. Which reminds me of a movie, called PCU. Watch it and you will see all kinds of humor about this very subject, and it was made in the early 90s! I can surely say it has gotten worse in that time period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    But on the flipside, do we need to force diversification? If we'd stop being assholes about race, then diversification would occur naturally.
    I agree.

When I was watching Good Times I wasn't wondering where the white people were, I was just enjoying the show. I'd say if you can't enjoy entertainment without getting offended that your race isn't represented then you are the racist.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    What if Catholics had hijacked those planes, would you ban all churches from the area? You cannot blame an entire religion because of a few misguided nutters.
    this...

Also i dont think the US is very politically correct - if it was truly politically correct the US's politicians would not talk about a christian nation all the freakin time - thats not very politically correct to shit on the rest of the populace

One thing that has annoyed me a few times when i've met yanks irl and had some discussions with them are how conservative some of them have been when it comes to things such as parenting etc... very old fashioned. Not saying it's wrong, but it's quite different to my country. I even met this one exchange student who pulled some bs about how sweden is full of pedophiles... and she based that on one observation... a father who had skinny dipped when his baby girl was around... I mean wtf, not sure why someone would react so strongly about that... naked bodies seem to be something weird and alien to some of them... which kind of creeps me out.

90% of all americans i've met here(sweden) or when i've been abroad have been cool though.

10+ Year Old Account
    They tried to call my Christmas tree a Holiday tree. Them's fightin' words.

my grade school used to have playground equipment. then some kids got hurt...

now if kids want to go outside and play soccer for recess, they're not allowed to run.

they're not allowed to run during soccer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Thet best and most widely recognized statement is.... "Merry Christmas" now... it has to be "Happy Holidays". If out of generousity I said Merry Christmas as a polite good bye, and someone retorted "I don't believe in Christmas, I'm jewish". So now the person who said Merry Christmas is considered rude based on the fact he wasn't being politically correct.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    One thing that has annoyed me a few times when i've met yanks irl and had some discussions with them are how conservative some of them have been when it comes to things such as parenting etc... very old fashioned. Not saying it's wrong, but it's quite different to my country. I even met this one exchange student who pulled some bs about how sweden is full of pedophiles... and she based that on one observation... a father who had skinny dipped when his baby girl was around... I mean wtf, not sure why someone would react so strongly about that... naked bodies seem to be something weird and alien to some of them... which kind of creeps me out.

90% of all americans i've met here(sweden) or when i've been abroad have been cool though.
    We Americans glorify violence and hatred and discrimination but when it comes to NATURAL things like naked bodies or sex....NO NO NO! That is SOO WRONG! Sex and nakedness is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Mindelan View Post
    They tried to call my Christmas tree a Holiday tree. Them's fightin' words.
    call it a Yule-tree and tell them to buzz off...

or just Der Tanenbaum

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    my grade school used to have playground equipment. then some kids got hurt...

now if kids want to go outside and play soccer for recess, they're not allowed to run.

Brilliant. Perpetuating the "fatass american" or "pansy ass american" stereotypes.

I love what is happening in schools! /end sarcasm

To be honest, I fell and got hurt a few times on the playground. I also saw a kid run into a tree while jumping off a playset. Did we learn not to do stupid shit like that again? You bet your ass. Ahhh my childhood memories of a relatively uncensored US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    my grade school used to have playground equipment. then a kid took some equipment to the knee...

i just fixed that for ya

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    For example; The moderators will lock topics under religious beliefs because of "being politically correct" when it should be a free topic to discuss without other people getting butt hurt because someone else doesn't agree. Or when muslim want to build a structure right next to 911 to make a statement, and we have to allow them to be politically correct.
    I agree with you for the most part, but "discussions" about religion or politics (for example) are often locked because they inevitably turn into flame wars that completely overshadow and ruin the topic.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lothar View Post
    Thet best and most widely recognized statement is.... "Merry Christmas" now... it has to be "Happy Holidays". If out of generousity I said Merry Christmas as a polite good bye, and someone retorted "I don't believe in Christmas, I'm jewish". So now the person who said Merry Christmas is considered rude based on the fact he wasn't being politically correct.
    To the Americans who were spoon fed Christian morals and taught that being Christian is the only right way, saying Merry Christmas isn't a big deal to them, because they don't realize that everyone ISN'T Christian and that they actually ARE pushing their religion on someone else...because incase you didn't realize, the word Christmas has the word "Christ" in it, which some people do not believe in/follow. "Happy Holidays" is a better general statement to say to people, no matter what their religion is.

Quote Originally Posted by I No I FeaR I View Post
    We Americans glorify violence and hatred and discrimination but when it comes to NATURAL things like naked bodies or sex....NO NO NO! That is SOO WRONG! Sex and nakedness is wrong!
    I take it you don't watch much TV in the States. Sex is everywhere.

Deleted
    I don't know if I agree with political correctness gone mad. I mean, people still get killed for being the wrong colour or sexuality and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by I No I FeaR I View Post
    To the Americans who were spoon fed Christian morals and taught that being Christian is the only right way, saying Merry Christmas isn't a big deal to them, because they don't realize that everyone ISN'T Christian and that they actually ARE pushing their religion on someone else...because incase you didn't realize, the word Christmas has the word "Christ" in it, which some people do not believe in/follow. "Happy Holidays" is a better general statement to say to people, no matter what their religion is.
    You can't just STFU about it and say thank you and move on? Seriously, you want to bitch about it? Yes, America is mostly christian based so people have the habit of saying that. However, the point was that it was a polite gesture, not some intent to push religion. Perfect example.
    Last edited by Son of Lothar; 2011-12-06 at 10:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prudes... what are you gonna do? /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Of course it is. Why do you think the brilliant show "Politically Incorrect" was cancelled for in the first place?
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2011-12-06 at 10:05 PM.