Problem with new i7 2600k

So I just got a new 2600k in and I've been trying to overclock it.

There has been some problems though. I'm using the same settings I did with my 2500k on the new cpu. I even tried a moderate setting of 4.0 ghz at 1.25v and whenever I try to boot up windows. It keeps saying my CPU is over heating. And I go into uefi the temps are like 75C and thats IDLE. But whenever I go back to like default settings the temps are fine. like 33C Idle.

Using a p8z68 V Board with a A70 cooler.

I've taken off Speedstepper, PLL Overvoltage and was running at 1.25. I took off the C1E states and took off hyperthreading.

15+ Year Old Account
    How long of a time difference between the 75C settigns and 33C?

i.e. can you load the 33C settings, boot to UEFI, switch to 75C settings, and in the ~minute it takes to reboot the temps will be at 75C? vice-versa as well with loading the 33C settings while CPU is 75C and will it actually be 33C when you reboot? hard to explain...

temperatures can't fluctuate that fast (down at least, up i suppose it could do pretty easily)
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you boot into windows and confirm those absurdly high idles (it's as if your cooler isn't even there) using something like RealTemp? Need to confirm that your temp sensor isn't completely borked.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonlust View Post
    So I just got a new 2600k in and I've been trying to overclock it.

There has been some problems though. I'm using the same settings I did with my 2500k on the new cpu. I even tried a moderate setting of 4.0 ghz at 1.25v and whenever I try to boot up windows. It keeps saying my CPU is over heating. And I go into uefi the temps are like 75C and thats IDLE. But whenever I go back to like default settings the temps are fine. like 33C Idle.

Using a p8z68 V Board with a A70 cooler.

I've taken off Speedstepper, PLL Overvoltage and was running at 1.25. I took off the C1E states and took off hyperthreading.

Lemon, did you upgrade to the 902 bios? Furthermore, do you have the TPU switch enabled?

10+ Year Old Account
    UEFI is not idle.

Well what happens is when I first tried overclocking I did a moderate overclock using the same settings I did with my 2500k. Once It goes past the "Press Del to go into Setup" an error message pops up saying CPU Overheating, Press F1 to go into setup. And right when that happens I see that my temps in UEFI is 75C, It will slowly drop. When I use optimum default settings. The temperatures are fine. 40C in UEFI which is what i've gotten on my 2500k. And in windows its 33C Idle and 55C under full load in realtemp. So I may be using the wrong settings? I've heard that setting a extreme loadline calibration can overshoot voltages. I think it might be the Phase Controler? I left that on Auto.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    UEFI is not idle.
    You're right but that's still stupidly high.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze