A follow-up on Star Trek Online.

When Star Trek Online was in development, I kept a eye on its progress. It made a lot of promises that had me thinking it might actually be a good MMO. Sadly, when it was released, it was a disappointment for Hard-Core and Casual Players alike. A lot of people compared it to Eve Online when they were naming flaws with the game. The Developers said they would be patching in game fixes later on, and to be patient. But most of the player-base was scared off.

Now with that said. It's been a good... year now? How is the game now? Have the developers improved the game at all with attention to fixing flaws with the game? Or is it still stay away?

I haven't played the game, but someone posted here a few months ago that the game is going F2P in Jan 2012:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Sta...STO,13955.html
    http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p

So I guess they aren't doing too well.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I haven't played the game, but someone posted here a few months ago that the game is going F2P in Jan 2012:

Free-to-play is not necessarily a bad thing. There are a lot of good MMORPG's out there that people shun away simply because it's "Free-to-play". Why? Because people think that something free means crappy quality, which is not even close to the truth. In fact, there are a large number of bad MMO's that want you to pay full subscription.

When it is all said and done, free-to-play might make people take a second glance at the game.
    Last edited by Daginni; 2011-12-07 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post
    Free-to-play is not necessarily a bad thing. There are a lot of good MMORPG's out there that people shun away simply because it's "Free-to-play". Why? Because people think that something free means crappy quality, which is not even close to the truth. In fact, there are a large number of bad MMO's that want you to pay full subscription.

When it is all said and done, free-to-play might make people take a second glance at the game.
    Eh, I think people who want their "space" fix are going to be moving to SW:TOR in 2 weeks. And people who want the REAL "space" experience are already playing Eve.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post

when a game is free-to-play it makes me think that it is going to be horrible from a consumer stand point. not technically impossible to compete without spending cash, but in practice impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    when a game is free-to-play it makes me think that it is going to be horrible from a consumer stand point. not technically impossible to compete without spending cash, but in practice impossible.
    I don't know what f2p games you've been playing, but the overwhelming majority of f2p games available in the west aren't pay to win. I currently have 7 f2p MMO's installed that I play from time to time and have never felt compelled to purchase anything in order to succeed. I've purchased inconsequential stuff (extra bag slots, maybe a cool costume or something else), but the large scale f2p MMO's are pretty damn good about making sure you don't "need" to pay if you don't want to. What you're talking about generally takes place in the smaller MMO's, particularly the smaller Asian f2p MMO's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I don't know what f2p games you've been playing, but the overwhelming majority of f2p games available in the west aren't pay to win. I currently have 7 f2p MMO's installed that I play from time to time and have never felt compelled to purchase anything in order to succeed. I've purchased inconsequential stuff (extra bag slots, maybe a cool costume or something else), but the large scale f2p MMO's are pretty damn good about making sure you don't "need" to pay if you don't want to. What you're talking about generally takes place in the smaller MMO's, particularly the smaller Asian f2p MMO's.
    Have to agree here. I have been playing a lot of City of Heroes lately and I can do pretty much anything I want without forking over a dime. Champions, is alright, but I would consider it inferior to CoH/CoV personally. But still, a lot of game for free

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

If the game is taking its sweet time to go F2P, its not hurting. I game that is really hurting would just close sooner than going F2P. The F2P model has been proven to be more beneficial and lucrative to most developers development cycle.

As for getting your "space fix".

SWTOR, EVE, and STO all have completely different feels when comes to getting your "fix".

Just started playing this. Alienware has (if any are left) an awesome bonus for new accounts. Definitely a good free mmo to play casually.