View Poll Results: Do you know somebody who would rather get a check for being employed than working a s

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

58 70.73%
  • No.

24 29.27%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Leeches of society.

Just a check.

Do you know somebody who would rather get a check for being unemployed* than working a shitty job?

How lazy are we, and how many leeches do we have on out society?

*My bad :P
    Last edited by Satan; 2011-12-07 at 04:11 AM.
    pro-gun liberal

unemployed*

I assume you mean a cheque for being unemployed?
    I have a decent job. if I got fired I'd probably work a shitty job before going on unemployment. Going on UI closes a lot of doors down the road.

Who doesn't know a person like that? They're everywhere.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

Sometimes, people can't be blamed for being demotivated about finding a job and 'getting off the doll' as we call it in the UK. On many occasion, if one is lucky enough to find a job, the starting wage is so poor, that after taxes and transportation costs, the job becomes less beneficial than staying on unemployment benefits. I do not think that is a failure of the welfare state, as such, in "breeding leeches", but it is their poor policy on placing such high tax levels on even the most basic of jobs with minimal salaries. Corporations should also be looking to help in boosting employment and generating a growth in consumers, governments cannot be solely blamed for the problems with unemployment and the barrier to entry to the workforce, and the understandable lack of motivation to go job-hunting, for those who are currently unemployed.

I don't know about laziness. Sure there are people out there that are lazy and never look for work so long as they have money coming in, but generally those people are only hurting themselves in the long run. Unemployment doesn't last forever.

It's hard for me to see people as lazy when my mother lost her job at a company she worked at for 20 years. She went from a decent salary to unemployment. Despite living in the US for most of her life, she has a crazy thick accent and a lot of people judge her for it. She hasn't had to look at her resume or submit a job application for YEARS, so when she suddenly lost her job she didn't know what to do. She applied to hundreds of workplaces but her occupation was outdated and no one wanted her.

It is beyond depressing watching someone go through this. She blew though all of her life savings, my college savings and her 401k just trying to stay alive until she could find another job. She lived in her car for nearly a year. She had to buy a wig for interviews because her hair started falling out. It was really hard, especially because I was 11 when this was happening and my dad wasn't in my life. And by the way, she never found a job. Her cell phone (which I paid for most of the time) has been disconnected for a year and I don't know where she lives. She could be dead now.

So, no, most people on unemployment aren't leeches. Most people cannot make more money at minimum wage than what unemployment pays. And if you've got a family to support, there's nothing you can do about it.

I know someone that works three months out of the year, then spend the rest of the year on unemployment/food stamps. He still buys video games/cigarettes on that, so thats all he cares about!

I know a few.

And I know its laziness because they still go out and buy the latest cellphones and gadgets and brag about how their welfare check is going up.

Pisses me off. Some people actually need this shit, you shouldn't be proud of being on it, you should only be on it if you need it.

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

Anecdote.

Definitive statements based solely on previous Anecdote.

Im a Libertarian and completely despise any form of welfare. But there is a time where people who may lose there jobs which is out of there control who need to supplement there savings to feed there children and pay rents? But I draw the line there, if you are unable to find work or prove you have been searching, it gets cut off after a few weeks or a month.

You have to view it from different angles, dont be ignorant and categorise everyone as 'leeches' because im sure there are some people who have no other choice. Iv recently been employed, shitty nightfill job at coles and its the first job iv had in 2 years. I am also only 19 and I go to uni, so I wouldnt catagorise myself as a societal leech because I never received any welfare, besides a free room in my parents house and food

Serious societal leeches, such as those with multiple kids and no serious work ethic, are worse than drug dealers. At least drug dealers contribute to the economy, where as leeches just drag it down. Im from one of the biggest welfare countries, I know alot of people on welfare, if I wasnt so nice I would love to dop them all in... my country needs fixing really bad
    Last edited by Kivimetsan; 2011-12-07 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootz View Post
    Anecdote.

Definitive statements based solely on previous Anecdote.
    I have a feeling you enjoy the Trailer for Every Oscar Winning Film Ever.

Yes, I do. Sadly.

I myself, have been in a situation where I've needed to rely on welfare to even pay my bills. So I appreciate the system.

But I do know of people who would rather just abuse it and not do anything.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Q: But who are the forum QQers going to QQ at now?
    A: They'll find another name and still miss the point that Blizzard designs as a collective.

As someone who did suffer from the bad economy, I was laid off and had to go on unemployment to make ends meet. I scoped out jobs at walmart and things of this level and it turns out unemployment paid more. So for us leeches things like getting a shitty job just didn't work. Unemployment is there for a reason and we all pay taxes for these things so I don't feel bad one bit for getting a check while I looked for work.

Not anymore, but I used to know many. Now that I work for a manufacturing company, most of the guys I work with share my views regarding this kind of thing.

OMOH There is a difference between using it for temporal needs, and making it a way of life.

I see the "Way of life" as leeching.
    pro-gun liberal

I think the OP was referring to people who purposely leach off the system. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dipping unemployment when needed, it was instituted for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Arog View Post
    As someone who did suffer from the bad economy, I was laid off and had to go on unemployment to make ends meet. I scoped out jobs at walmart and things of this level and it turns out unemployment paid more. So for us leeches things like getting a shitty job just didn't work. Unemployment is there for a reason and we all pay taxes for these things so I don't feel bad one bit for getting a check while I looked for work.
    You're not a leech if you actually legit need it. Its the people who get on welfare and don't do anything about it that piss me off. Welfare is suppose to be temporary. You take it until you get a job, you don't live off it. Now if the only job offers you get are less than unemployment, then I can understand choosing unemployment, provided that you're at least trying to get a better job.

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    You're not a leech if you actually legit need it. Its the people who get on welfare and don't do anything about it that piss me off. Welfare is suppose to be temporary. You take it until you get a job, you don't live off it. Now if the only job offers you get are less than unemployment, then I can understand choosing unemployment, provided that you're at least trying to get a better job.
    Pretty much. Unemployment is actually a form of welfare I can get behind. People who have lost their jobs have proven they have a work ethic, and those people should be given assistance. And in many states, the employee contributes to these benefits.

The sad thing is the way we view work, and constantly frame the unemployed as immoral. We seem to hold these precepts:

Work is morally virtuous regardless of the experience of the worker.
    Firms should be “free” to make this experience even worse.

It's amazing how many of these people there are... well not really. It really doesn't surprise me as coddled as my and my parent's generation was. I would rather go to college and learn something than work a shitty job, but I need some way to fund my college experience and I refuse to take out loans. It grinds on me how many people feel entitled to live a life without responsibility.