Deleted

Smile Boomkin VP gear suggestions.

So I figured I'd make a thread where the non-pro people (me) link their armory and the pro people (probably you) tell them what VP items they should get and perhaps some other upgrades that aren't a pain to obtain. As you might have noticed it's my first post AND thread on the forum so I'm terribly sorry if I missed some crazy rule you guys have. Anyway.. I read in a couple of threads that Bottled Wishes is overrated and actually quite bad, it's the first upgrade I planned on making and I'm glad I read up on it first. So to my character // not allowed to link yet ; eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kazzak/Rikskupong/simple I've got maxed out VP since last week on two characters, and I'd figure I'd send a BoE item over from my alt, perhaps it's rude to just ask for help like this out of nowhere but I'd appreciate any suggestions and tips you might have

Cloak and relic have no other options to get(they dont have drops). I bought these first and put epic gems in them.

Belt is better itemised but doesn't have a heroic version(Vs the mastery drop from hagara) so don't do it first but is a good option.

BoE boots are well itemised and can buy with an alt easy enough and one of the BiS options. (I bought with alt and epic gemmed)

Trinkets there's a bunch of drop options as well so I wouldn't make them first choice of buy for anyone.
    Rings there are also several drop options(and eventually heroic versions) to try to get first instead unless your current ones suck.

Bracers you could buy with an alt if yours are terrible but they're very bad itemised and crafted bracers price will come down as well as the mastery option being off first boss(and probably first heroic).

Quote Originally Posted by axxey View Post
    Cloak and relic have no other options to get(they dont have drops). I bought these first and put epic gems in them.
    Yup, http://www.wowhead.com/item=77096 is your BiS cloak and http://www.wowhead.com/item=77082 is your BiS relic. They're both pretty good upgrades from your 378 cloak and relic. If you have 2 weeks of maxed out VP you can afford both. The cloak is a slightly better upgrade since it has an extra gem slot, but I would buy both and throw http://www.wowhead.com/item=71881 in both of them.

As for other items, it really depends on what you're doing - if you plan on raiding, and if so, at what level.

Here's a pretty good loot list with all the VP stuff included: http://graymatterwow.blogspot.com/p/...-as-of_06.html For any given slot, look at the VP item. Then look to see if there's a better, non-VP item, and finally, consider whether or not you will be doing the content required to get that item. (Some examples: even the LFR version of the tier legs is better than the VP legs, so if you're going to do LFR I wouldn't buy the VP legs. The VP bracers are better than the LFR bracers, but not as good as the crafted, regular, or heroic bracers, so unless you're going to regular raiding or can afford the crafted ones, the VP ones might not be a bad idea. The VP belt is bested only by a heroic one, so if you're not doing heroics, pick this up).

The trinket has alot more value if it allows you to reach a haste break point. Personally I'm leaning towards the trinket first, followed by the cloak (with boots bought by an alt).

Deleted
    My priority is Cloak > boots (from alts) > relic > trinket if nothing else to spend it on. Cloak and Relic are BiS. Boots are BiS till the Heroic DS ones.

It seems pretty pointless to go for the trinket imo. Sure, if it allows you to reach the haste cap. Fine. But I wouldn't really give up all that int for it.
    There are 2 rings in DS with basically optimal stats for moonkins.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2011-12-07 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinsoul View Post
    The trinket has alot more value if it allows you to reach a haste break point. Personally I'm leaning towards the trinket first, followed by the cloak (with boots bought by an alt).
    People need to get this idea out of their head that breakpoints are this magical number for boomkins, it's not. Take a look at this: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...5#post14384175.

"Breakpoint -> DPET increase", that's an important idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lamchopp View Post
    People need to get this idea out of their head that breakpoints are this magical number for boomkins, it's not. Take a look at this: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...5#post14384175.

"Breakpoint -> DPET increase", that's an important idea.
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. Haste breakpoints are still important numbers to consider for overall dps. That post proves that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzyb View Post
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. Haste breakpoints are still important numbers to consider for overall dps. That post proves that.
    Haste breakpoints aren't as important as what people make them out to be.

"The trinket has alot more value if it allows you to reach a haste break point. Personally I'm leaning towards the trinket first, followed by the cloak (with boots bought by an alt)."
    The reason haste is valuable is not primarily because it lets us reach breakpoints but it increases the DoT DPS and it gets us from eclipse to eclipse faster. The dmg we gain from hitting a breakpoint isn't comparable to the DPS gained to DoTs or simply from eclipsed nukes (starfire/wrath) if that haste allows us to get more nukes out. DPET is still a factor to consider when gearing but the value that people put on it is far less than it should be. Also, for the DPET to actually take effect you would have to let your DoTs run out.

Deleted
    Last edited by mmoc53495deb40; 2011-12-07 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lamchopp View Post
    Haste breakpoints aren't as important as what people make them out to be.

"The trinket has alot more value if it allows you to reach a haste break point. Personally I'm leaning towards the trinket first, followed by the cloak (with boots bought by an alt)."
    The reason haste is valuable is not primarily because it lets us reach breakpoints but it increases the DoT DPS and it gets us from eclipse to eclipse faster. The dmg we gain from hitting a breakpoint isn't comparable to the DPS gained to DoTs or simply from eclipsed nukes (starfire/wrath) if that haste allows us to get more nukes out. DPET is still a factor to consider when gearing but the value that people put on it is far less than it should be. Also, for the DPET to actually take effect you would have to let your DoTs run out.
    I fear you might be undervaluing the break points, but maybe I'm just reading you wrong. If I'm reading you wrong, allow this to be for all other people that don't understand the breakpoints:

The value of a haste break point isn't reflected by a dot's DPS, it's reflected through it's DPET. The difference in a dot duration of being just below the haste break point and right at it is 1.5 seconds. Adding an extra tick doesn't increase the DPS of the dot by a significant amount (no more than adding 10 or so haste would be expected), but it increases the duration of the dot, allowing us more time to cast nukes. That's why DPET is important and where the DPS increase comes from (more casts in between dot applications!). The longer the duration (longest being right at a breakpoint), the less you're casting dots. Basically, the difference in 1 haste below the breakpoint and right at it is an extra wrath cast every 16 seconds.

Now, that doesn't mean that you want to try to hit caps dead on and save haste increases until you're able to hit the next cap. Increasing haste above caps still provides a dps increase, but not as significant as passing a haste break point would. For a gemming example, the only time 20 haste would be valued over 20 int would be if a haste break point is reached. Aside from this occasion, intel wins hands down.

Also, they've made it easier to avoid clipping dots, so if you're refreshing the dots within a second of them expiring, you're not "clipping" like you were before Cataclysm. But yes, if you're refreshing with 5 seconds of duration left, obviously the DPET is going to be significantly impacted.

ALLLLLLLL of that being said, yes, I believe a bigger deal was made about the haste break point than the value of the DS trinkets. Even the LFR versions are better than the VP one.

Quote Originally Posted by smn View Post
    I see you're already doing LFR raiding, so no, use the valor elsewhere and get the trinkets from DS.