Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Smuggler or Agent? Opinions please

I'm undecided, I haven't decided on a side yet, but I have narrowed it down to class. I'm trying to decide between Smuggler or Agent.

As far as AC:
    Smuggler - Gunslinger
    Agent - Sniper

The only basis I have on these two is about 12 hours of play time for Smuggler and just storyline for Agent.
    What do you guys think? Did anyone play both classes? From the looks of it the play style of each is very similar.

Thoughts...
    Opinions....
    Discuss please
    God is great, Beer is good, and people are crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Grevus View Post
    I'm undecided, I haven't decided on a side yet, but I have narrowed it down to class. I'm trying to decide between Smuggler or Agent.

As far as AC:
    Smuggler - Gunslinger
    Agent - Sniper

The only basis I have on these two is about 12 hours of play time for Smuggler and just storyline for Agent.
    What do you guys think? Did anyone play both classes? From the looks of it the play style of each is very similar.

Thoughts...
    Opinions....
    Discuss please
    its all about the story . they are so similar the only difference is the look and the story.

Gunslingers and snipers are counterpart classes, they play the exact same, just with reskinned and renamed skills.

I haven't played much into a smuggler, but I've played sniper to about fifteen, the class is full of political intrigue, and going undercover to further your own/ the empire's agenda feels pretty fun, especially since the agent VA is a brit, it's so fun to respond with scathing sarcasm to everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since they're mirror classes, the gameplay will be the same practically. When it comes to story, I've only played the IA class in the beta, and enjoyed the overall atmosphere of deceit, infiltration, etc.
    I believe the smuggler storyline will be fun as well, but in a much more comical way.
    I myself will probably go IA at launch
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played to chapter 3 in a previous build, and the IA's story is the best story of all classes I've played. Granted it's my opinion, but in talking with other beta testers it seems to be a common opinion.

The classes are mirrors. Choice is aesthetics.

Sniper
    - Empire
    - Sniper Rifles
    - Outfit looks
    - Story

Gunslinger
    - Republic
    - Dual Pistols
    - Outfit looks
    - Story

I played IA to level 50, if you want the James Bond secret agent story then you will like IA.
    Look at the armor progression video to see how they will look.
    No clue about anything republic except how to kill them in PvP o O

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's mirrored... Pick whatever faction you want to play.

There are some minor diffirences between smuggler and IA. The Smuggler stays in crouch while using certain abilities resulting in him taking less damage then an IA.
    And some people claim that the IA has more damage on their Ambush then the Smuggler.

But play what you enjoy is my motto. Gunslinger is the type that shoots with a whole barrage from dual-blasters. While the Sniper is more about calculated shots. And ofcourse one is Republic and one is Empire. And the stories are different.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    There are some minor diffirences between smuggler and IA. The Smuggler stays in crouch while using certain abilities resulting in him taking less damage then an IA.
    And some people claim that the IA has more damage on their Ambush then the Smuggler.
    Please provide proof to any of this. The animation being different for crouching between IA and Smuggler doesn't AT ALL mean that Smuggler has better defence. Can you back it up with any proof whatsoever? The other statement would be weird as well, as it would shake things up balance wise. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt there is any difference there.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post

But play what you enjoy is my motto. Gunslinger is the type that shoots with a whole barrage from dual-blasters. While the Sniper is more about calculated shots. And ofcourse one is Republic and one is Empire. And the stories are different.
    No...

Classes are mirrors. If they weren't mirrors then people would complain that "we have to go on Republic/Empire if we want to be the best".
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I think Terras post came from a discussion on the beta boards in regards to Darth Malak.

Someone was complaining that Operatives were stronger because they always saw them doing extremely well in WZs and that the Republic counterparts were not "as good". They also claimed that Hidden Strike was more powerful then the smugg version.

The guys post was debunked and it basically came down to the fact that operative he was referring to Nyghoma was just really damn good and was dominating. I ran with him and his premade a couple times and they were a good group.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin View Post
    Please provide proof to any of this. The animation being different for crouching between IA and Smuggler doesn't AT ALL mean that Smuggler has better defence. Can you back it up with any proof whatsoever? The other statement would be weird as well, as it would shake things up balance wise. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt there is any difference there.
    Ive already provided this proof on the boards of SWTOR. This has been confirmed by several players in the beta who tested an IA and Smuggler. And confirmed that sub-lv10, where there is no pushback resistance yet. He noted that the Smuggler wasnt getting the pushbacks on the Charged Burst while he remained in crouch.
    But he was getting pushbacks on Snipe (IA's mirror to Charged Burst) because the IA stood up. He also noted a considerable diffirence in damage taken, as alot of damage at the smuggler hit the Cover (and deals no or greatly reduced damage). Making elite mobs easier on Smuggler.

You can search the boards, the topic was called "IA vs Smuggler inbalance?"

edit:
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=694979

Link to topic.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2011-12-07 at 02:34 PM.

Real question is Imperial or Republic? Answer, you must find.

Deleted
    Han Solo or James Bond?

10+ Year Old Account
    Agent is where it's at my friend. Personally I think it has the most intriguing story of all the classes.
    Last edited by Shamburger; 2011-12-07 at 03:33 PM. Reason: i kant spel reel gud.

Well, if it has to be one of those two, my vote is Smuggler since I'm a Republic guy. I played the IA during beta though and the story was superb.

Deleted
    Smuggler.... just for the hat ^_^

Agents storyline is nothing short of brilliant

Havent played smuggler to be fair though

15+ Year Old Account
    I played a smuggler to 8 and a sniper to 18.

The Republic just doesn't feel right to me. They feel like a bunch of self righteous, goody two shoes. And general chat on Sith side seemed more mature... When someone didn't bring up wow, which seems to happen at least every 5 minutes no matter which game you are playing...

They are mirrors so roll which faction you want.

As far as the semantics go, yes there are very slight differences. For example, the &_ ability "project" has a travel time while the SI mirror ability (forget name) has no travle time.

Different? Yes, but such a slight thing won't change much in the scheme of things.