Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Idiot needs your help.

Hey guys.

So, basically I'm an idiot when it comes to computers. I buy a laptop on sale thinking it would be able to run WoW and then it turns out I had to go from 25man to 10man because I somehow replaced my old laptop with a worse one...

Anyway, I have decided to build a desktop so I can upgrade it when I see fit.

This is what I'm looking for:

A desktop built to handle a 250mb download, 20mb upload.
    Able to run several WoW accounts at the same time with no lag, or slowness.
    Able to do 25mans with all details/settings on and have no issue with performance. Preferable something that will also last MoP too (Hopefully).
    Able to do all the above, while downloading 10 things at once,while streaming a movie, while on youtube, while multiboxing on wow and have like 30 tabs open, while playing Skyrim or BF3
    I don't have a price tag per sue but I don't want something that will burn my wallet with a blow torch.
    Also, it has to be in Euro and able to be delivered to Ireland. (I'm not sure if the limiting to the Euro will hurt my cause. Some think it will, saying pounds is actually cheaper in the long run.)
    Last edited by mmoc96113274a1; 2011-12-07 at 03:56 PM.

Deleted
    Don't build a desktop, just buy one. Any computer you can buy for around 1200-2000 euros will do perfectly fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    Don't build a desktop, just buy one. Any computer you can buy for around 1200-2000 euros will do perfectly fine.
    Why not? You both save money and get better parts by assembling your own, not to mention that you get a computer that is based on your preferences and budget.

As for OP, I would suggest you check out this thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

Except when you build your own you can get something equally good for half the price and learn a lot in the process.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Why not? You both save money and get better parts by assembling your own, not to mention that you get a computer that is based on your preferences and budget.

You also become more knowledgeable on computers, which is never a bad thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    They are all in Dollars. I'm from Ireland.

Deleted
    I just think that a standard computer package would be best for someone that doesn't know much about hardware.

Deleted
    I won't be buying anything for 1200-2000 euros if it's only going to be "standard".

As I said, I want to build one. So you can either help, or say nothing at all.

Have you ever assembled a desktop, or do you have someone to help you? If you somehow ended up buying a laptop that was worse than your old one, it seems like you may wanna consider asking someone for help.

That being said, Marest gave you a link to the Sample Build thread, pick one that comes close to your budget, or alternatively, give us a more concrete number than "I don't have a price tag per sue but I don't want something that will burn my wallet with a blow torch.". You said 1200-2000 euros in your last post, but that's a pretty big difference...

One more thing:
    A desktop built to handle a 250mb download, 20mb upload.
    Able to run several WoW accounts at the same time with no lag, or slowness.
    Able to do 25mans with all details/settings on and have no issue with performance. Preferable something that will also last MoP too (Hopefully).
    Able to do all the above, while downloading 10 things at once,while streaming a movie, while on youtube, while multiboxing on wow and have like 30 tabs open, while playing Skyrim or BF3
    Being able to do all of this at once, especially if you're planning on using multiple monitors at high resolutions, is asking a lot out of a computer, especially for 1200 euros, and even more so if you also need peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitor(s)) and an OS included in that price.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-12-07 at 04:23 PM.

I just think that a standard computer package would be best for someone that doesn't know much about hardware.
    He asked build advice, so do that or don't do anything.

@OP

Gaming 1500 build from that Marest's link would be perfect for you. I know the prices are in $'s but it should be even less in euros really.

Deleted
    I have my brother who builds his own. I asked him for help but he's too busy. However he did say if I gave him all the parts, he'd put it together and get it working.
    How I ended up buying a new laptop was down to the guy in PC world that told me it was better than what I had. It was only when I showed my brother that he laughed at me and said my old one was better.

Perhaps somewhere in the 900-1600 euro department. I would go a bit higher if it meant I wouldn't have to replace anything in the next year or so.
    I plan to play SWTOR, so it would definitely need to be able to handle that, with full graphics, with ease.

Deleted
    Can you provide us with a web adress where u plan to buy a computer so we can help you out with a build properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    ....no....building > buying always....always.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sononeknows View Post
    Perhaps somewhere in the 900-1600 euro department. I would go a bit higher if it meant I wouldn't have to replace anything in the next year or so. I plan to play SWTOR, so it would definitely need to be able to handle that, with full graphics, with ease.
    That's still a 700€ difference, but I'll take the middle ground and say 1250€... Now, are you going to need a mouse/keyboard/monitor(s)/operating system, or do you already have all of those things? If not, that's a pretty hefty chunk of money that will mean you've got less money to spend on parts.

Also, a site you plan on buying from would help, I normally use http://www.novatech.co.uk/ for people in the UK/Ireland, but you don't wanna use the pound.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-12-07 at 05:05 PM.

Deleted
    @noteworthynerd: I checked out that site you linked and it looks decent, but then what do I know. I was advised to use the pound if I have to, so I'll do that.

As for the parts, I already have the mouse, keyboard and monitor. No operating system. But what it would be worth it to wait til Feb for Windows 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    Except when you build your own you can get something equally good for half the price and learn a lot in the process.
    Well that all depends. Because if you intend to run a legit copy of Windows a lot of the major OEMs have pretty good hookups with Microsoft so OS and Productivity software definitely costs more if you build your own.

Plus certain quirks do happen from time-to-time. For example when the Core i7 lineup first came out I wanted one, and wanted one now, but there was only 1 chipset for it covered by a very limited number of motherboard manufacturers. As much as Dells costumer service sucks, because they manufacture their own motherboards they had mATX mobos for i7 long before motherboard manufacturers embarked into the same, allowing them to keep the cost very low.

So after pricing it out it was a few hundred dollars cheaper to just get a Dell in my situation than it would have been to build (especially since I'm not big on the whole software piracy thing and genuine windows was an essential to me)

So if you are at least tech savvy enough to never have to deal with their terribad customer support you can walk away with a pretty good deal from OEMs

That's completely up to you... I haven't participated in the beta, so I'll spare you from my uneducated opinion and hope that someone who has tried it comes along... I can tell you, however, that Windows 7 is pretty awesome compared to earlier versions (Vistalol).

Anyway, we set your budget at 1250€, which (according to Google) is 1066£ which comes out to be something like $1675. That being the case, I built the following up around Marest's Gaming 1500 build, which will handle almost anything you throw at it at max settings. You have to understand, however, that the more you try to do on your computer at once, the slower it is gonna be... If you want a computer that will run multiple games at once while streaming a movie while downloading music while browsing the Internet with 30 tabs open without experiencing any sort of performance decrease, you're gonna need to spend more than 1250€...

Motherboard: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...68xp-ud3p.html - £127.99
    CPU*: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...23i52500k.html - £179.99
    RAM: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...9d-8gbsr2.html - £46.99
    GPU: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...frozriioc.html - £376.99
    SSD: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...128m4ssd2.html - £159.98
    HDD**: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...b/hd103sj.html - £109.99
    PSU: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...020006-uk.html - £114.98 (I prefer modular PSUs because they help cut down on case clutter)
    Heatsink*: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c.../hypertx3.html - £16.50 (I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to aftermarket coolers, so someone may wanna confirm this is a good one)
    Case: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...s/cc600tm.html - £134.99 (arguably the most interchangeable piece, if you don't like this particular case for whatever reason, almost any case will work).
    Operating System: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/s...fqc-04649.html - £117.98

Total = £1386.38 which is a little over the budget I set out to use, but right at the 1600€ amount you mentioned previously. You can easily bring down the price by selecting a cheaper case, or a cheaper video card (I can recommend good alternatives if you'd like)... Also, if you have a .edu email address, you can get Windows 7 for an extremely discounted price through numerous websites.

*Only buy the 2500k if you plan on overclocking, if you aren't comfortable overclocking, then buy the 2500 (no k) for £164.99. If you go this route, the stock heatsink is more than enough, so you do not need to buy the aftermarket heatsink either. Personally, I find overclocking overrated, but I don't need a PC that does what you seemingly want yours to do, so overclocking may be a good idea... I'm told that overclocking the i-series processors is as simple as hitting a button...
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-12-07 at 06:59 PM.

Deleted
    note on the build above. the i5 2500k is at £166.00 @ amazon.co.uk and I advise you to not buy a non K version. As also said above overclocking is as simple as hitting a button and you will notice the diference betwen 3.30ghz to 4.2ghz at the very minimum with very low risk of burning a cpu.

i would go for something better than the coolermaster heatsink, switch it with a noctua NH-D14

134£ for a case is too much imho.

altho that is a very good GPU that would be the first thing i would buy, but if you are gonna play BF3 right now, just buy it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vilaca View Post
    note on the build above. the i5 2500k is at £166.00 @ amazon.co.uk and I advise you to not buy a non K version. As also said above overclocking is as simple as hitting a button and you will notice the diference betwen 3.30ghz to 4.2ghz at the very minimum with very low risk of burning a cpu.

i would go for something better than the coolermaster heatsink, switch it with a noctua NH-D14

134£ for a case is too much imho.

altho that is a very good GPU that would be the first thing i would buy, but if you are gonna play BF3 right now, just buy it.
    It is perfectly fine overclocking to 4.0 or 4.1 with the stock cooler. Also, take into consideration that TB still applies to the SB CPUs, so the 2500k can actually run in 3.7Ghz (without overclocking). The step up to 4.0+ is very noticeable and can sometimes be done without increasing the Vcore.

There really is no need for a NH-D14 unless he plans to push 4.6Ghz or beyond, and even then it is debatable. The NH-D14 is high-end outside of watercooling and is basically one of the best air coolers on the market. For your average user, a Corsair A70 or a CM Hyper 212+ is more than enough, especially if they don't plan to dwell into overclocking to any major extent.

A computer case can be an investment, and should take a chunk of your budget. Of course, I wouldn't suggest anyone on a $600 budget to get a $150 case, but neither should someone on a $1200 budget get a $50 case. For a 1250 pound budget, I find it perfectly viable to spend ~120 on a good case.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know, I once didn't know ANYTHING about hardware. You know how I learned? First by taking apart my old Gateway and putting in a new PSU and my first video card, then I learned more by reading these forums, watching videos on youtube about the subject, and ultimately trying it out myself.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water