Switching from Frost PVP to Unholy PVP

Hey guys,

My DK is frost atm and i'm liking the slows and the long range attacks from howling blast and the strong melee crit guarantees from killing machines.

I was looking at the unholy tree, and was wondering... How do unholy DK's cope with long range fights (besides Death coil).

What kind of gameplay switch would it be? Strengths and weaknesses?

i personally don't PvP, but we have our ghoul and the gargoyle(3mincd) to help out dmg, as the gargoyle is ranged, and the ghoul is a pet thats always up.

Unholy's weakness is basically burst, frost has insane burst but unholy is an overall dmg spec. Unholy's strength is pretty much better survival and, more utility, and mobility.
    Last edited by Beefkow; 2011-12-07 at 10:22 PM.

So let's say you start a fight from the distance... You open up with chains of ice to close in, but then the enemy has a gap opener and uses it, death grip is on cooldown, not enough RP to fire a death coil, and then what? (this is still all in my head, haven't tested it).

Best possible answer, go test it!

Switch your spec, make sure you got adequate hit/expertise caps, and go do some Battlegrounds or Arenas (practices).

First hand experience is best for answering.

i hate unholy pvp tbh, after the burst dmg we saw in frost. unholy is like playing an aff lock, spamming death coils and necro strikes along the way. It's all about keeping pressure in arenas so thats why people are doing uh, but i will keep spamming dw in bgs just for the burst dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefkow View Post
    Unholy's weakness is basically burst, frost has insane burst but unholy is an overall dmg spec. Unholy's strength is pretty much better survival and, more utility, and mobility.
    this.

and no, ghoul and garg dont help with long range combat. against a frost mage your ghoul will be rooted as much as you are (most of the time) and both your pets will run in fear when a pala is nearby and keeping an eye on your pets.

you can DC a far away target, but id rather save it for when you get close or can assure some pressure