Mass Dispel broken on Zon'ozz?

A little confused as to why mass dispel is missing targets in the Zon'ozz encounter on 25n. Is this intended and I just missed it, or a bug, or what?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Players out of Range?

nope, all stacked up, just not dispelling. starting to wonder if single target dispelling will be smarter

Mass dispel has been freaking broken for ages. Try it on the legendary staff boss in Firelands and you'll happily see that it dispels like 5 players on the first cast but all succeeding casts only drain your mana without dispelling anything!

Deleted
    mass dispell really has been broken a long time. this is how it works at the moment:
    -always targets the closest 10 people (or pets) in range of where you cast it
    -if the player/unit has a debuff(buff), it will dispell it
    -if person A has a debuff and is standing still in range for mass dispell but is not standing near enough to be one of the 10 closest people of where you casted MD, it will not dispell him
    -it will try to dispell EVERYONE of the 10 closest units, whether it has a debuff or not, and even if it doesnt, a "charge" is gone

=> it doesnt only dispell the ones with a debuff, but everyone.

edit:
    legendary staff event:
    you just have to place your MD always at a different location, then you will most likely be able to dispell all people. i always did something like left from the camp, right from the camp and behind the camp instead of right into the camp

so to anyone with more experience on the fight than myself, is it just smarter to single target dispel?

it's always smarter to single target dispel EXCEPT for the first dispel if everyone in the raid has to be dispelled (ok one more after that could still be useful but well that's debatable)

Deleted
    Well this is my observation:

On the large dogs in FL, mass dispel would get rid of most of the fears that it put out. After the patch, it removed about 5 or less fears (25 man). And then on Zon'ozz, again it was barely removing ANY of the debuffs. I've since stopped using it and just single target dispelled. My guess: something in the patch broke it.

yeah I spoke briefly with Indie from <months behind> and she said that her guild found that mass dispel was doing more harm than good.

Mass dispel just picks 10 targets in its range and dispels them, regardless of if they have a debuff.

If you cast it on 20 people and 5 of them have the debuff it's probably not going to have a high success rate.

In 10 man it would probably be much better.

also, Cephius - they changed the fear on the dogs in FL to a red debuff (not dispellable), mass dispel is working as it always has.

I had the suspicion that dispells sometimes miss when not enough hit is involved for some time now, sometimes even with single target dispells.
    Also: Mass Dispell really likes pets, if you have many of them in your raid, they will hog all the dispells.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    I had the suspicion that dispells sometimes miss when not enough hit is involved for some time now, sometimes even with single target dispells.
    Also: Mass Dispell really likes pets, if you have many of them in your raid, they will hog all the dispells.
    I'm sure dispels don't miss on friendlies. MD just targets undebuffed people a lot.

So yeah, drop it once (if you've got several priests, coordinate to drop them at different spots), then polish with single target.

I was Mass Dispeling on our first night and found it wasn't working and it was a waste of mana.

What we've done as a raid team is assigned 2 dispellers and then usually toss a big heal and then dispel with no issues in deaths from it.

In other words don't mass dispel because it doesn't work on this encounter.