Thread: H Morchok Stomp

H Morchok Stomp

So we started with a couple attempts on Heroic Morchok 25m last night, everything seems to be fine in terms of HPS and DPS, however, we are consistently losing people to Stomp. We know that Stomp hits the 2 closest targets for double the damage, and we have a rogue 'soaker' standing right below the boss so that he's supposedly the closest target to Morchok/Kohcrom besides the tank. The rest of the team is standing behind the tank (we're all ranged and healers), so our configuration looks something like this:

(Rogue) (Boss) (Tank) (Ranged/Healers)

However, the double damage thing from Stomp seems to be occasionally hitting someone from the ranged/healers group (one person from the group will take 200k from Stomp and drop, while the rest of us take about 90-100k). It's not that the rogue is positioned badly, he's literally standing between Morchok's legs while the tank is a little in front of Morchok, and the rest of us are behind the tank, so there really shouldn't be a reason why we're taking the double damage. The only reason I can think of is that even though we're standing behind the tank, we're still stacked close enough to Morchok that we're within his rather large hitbox and thus are the 'same' distance away from the boss as the rogue is? He hardly ever takes the double stomp damage though, which was confusing us all night (his total damage taken from stomp is about half the rest of the raid's)

Would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help us shed some light on this matter

Not 100% sure on this but we found that having the soaker stand in front of the boss, stacked on the tank, was easier.
    I haven't found anything confirming this but Morchok was always hitting the guy in front of him, regardless of who was closer.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    We had same problem tonight. At first we just assumed it was shitty players being were they were not supposed to. But it kept happening (to me as well, and I know where I was) over and over, so I suspect it's something not working as expected.

Could definitely be something with his rather weird hitbox.

Ask if he's using Killing Spree when he stomps, I'm 90% sure that if you're Killing Spreeing when the stomp comes it bugs out, at least sometimes, had it happen to me more than once tonight.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklinn View Post
    Not 100% sure on this but we found that having the soaker stand in front of the boss, stacked on the tank, was easier.
    I haven't found anything confirming this but Morchok was always hitting the guy in front of him, regardless of who was closer.
    The one time I died from this, I was indeed in front of the boss, roughly 5-10 yards behind the tank. There was no reasonable way I was second closest to the boss, so it seems to make sense it prioritizing people in front for some reason.

Deleted
    the actual stomp split is to the person closest to the TANK
    we found this out after continually having healers get oneshot randomly by 170k stomps.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    We did this in 10 man and took the bosses away from one another about 80 yards or so(required side trash to be cleared) had the melee dps with the tank and all the range stack on each other on top of the crystals when they spawned. The idea is to not have range taking the stomps just the crystal explosions.

Deleted
    We've had very similar sorts of issues tonight with our hm attempts - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...pes&boss=55265

Don't bother looking at our normal mode attempts tonight (They were raid finder - lol)

We started with 6 healers but after a short amount of time went up to 8. With our setup ranged + rogue on kohcrom and melee on morchok on the other side. We found it easier if the rogue physically ran on top of the tank to take stomp - I lost a holydin on me to the rogue being under his legs with the healers/melee behind me. That 6-12 yrds can make a huge difference. The range finder will help tbh.

Nonetheless - our best try was at 30 ish% and he'll no doubt die tomorrow - once you have the timing on the kite closer to crystal > face boss away + rogue to tank > stomp, you'll have everyone at more manageable hp levels before the crystal explodes. Facing the boss away ensures that the tank is furthest away with the rogue in between. Eg. tank, boss, rogue, ranged + healers (tank+rogue, boss, ranged + healers).

Seems its also better if healers don't have to be the ones doing the crystal soaking - they have more time to actually heal.

I guess i'll find out if we kill him tomorrow. Do you have any logs to compare it to? See if we can fathom it out?

Here's our logs from our night of wipes: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-qn...pes&boss=55265

Ignore the damage taken from black blood, all of that was from when we called for wipes and stood in it to die faster for a quicker raid recovery lol.

The Damage does not seem to be split. Just flat damage to everyone who stands in it.

We had only the Tanks soak the stomp and it worked well (10m). The two melees we had just kept dying until our rogue used feint on every stomp and our warrior basically stayed out of stomp range using his throwing weapon.

we 4 healed it as well but had all 5 in each group soak stomps and then ranged did crystals on top of it because out tank got hit for 800k+ when he tried to solo it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastslayer50 View Post
    the actual stomp split is to the person closest to the TANK
    we found this out after continually having healers get oneshot randomly by 170k stomps.
    Exactly. After a number of wipes, we also discovered this. After positioning our melee basically on top of the tank, we had no random deaths to stomp.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's nice to know we weren't the only ones having this problem We'll definitely be adjusting our positioning of the melee soaker and see how that works for us!

(Ranged/Healers) (Rogue) (Boss) (Tank)
    This worked for us. It seems like the Tank is the middle of the stomp, thats why maybe some of the ranges get the double damage.

Our guild found that the "two closest" for Morchok actually seems to be a cleave off the tank. We had our soaker stand on the tank and had no problems with it after that.

So, just think of the stomp as a cleave and just position around it

Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    We had same problem tonight. At first we just assumed it was shitty players being were they were not supposed to. But it kept happening (to me as well, and I know where I was) over and over, so I suspect it's something not working as expected.

Could definitely be something with his rather weird hitbox.
    Same problems here as well.

The problem went away when the soaker simply ran on top of the tank for stomps.

Quote Originally Posted by reauxmont View Post
    The Damage does not seem to be split. Just flat damage to everyone who stands in it.

We had only the Tanks soak the stomp and it worked well (10m). The two melees we had just kept dying until our rogue used feint on every stomp and our warrior basically stayed out of stomp range using his throwing weapon.
    It is definitely split and having your warrior go out is just putting more strain on healers to top range off before cystal explosions. Melee plate can survive the stomps without a CD up anyway - except sub 20% where you have to have a CD up OR swap to shield/blood presence. Rogues just feint, idk about ferals.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    It is definitely split and having your warrior go out is just putting more strain on healers to top range off before cystal explosions. Melee plate can survive the stomps without a CD up anyway - except sub 20% where you have to have a CD up OR swap to shield/blood presence. Rogues just feint, idk about ferals.
    Dungeon Journal says it's 750k damage that is split up (for 10man heroic). Our Tank was taking those 750k ALONE. Without any CDs. No ranged, no melee in stomp range. Does a Tank really have that much damage reduction to survive a 750k hit (We had a bear / paladin)? When staying in stomp range with 5 players, those stomps brought us all down to sub 20% and often killed the 2nd soaker. When our Tank decided to take one stomp alone, his HP also dropped to approx. 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by reauxmont View Post
    Dungeon Journal says it's 750k damage that is split up (for 10man heroic). Our Tank was taking those 750k ALONE. Without any CDs. No ranged, no melee in stomp range. Does a Tank really have that much damage reduction to survive a 750k hit (We had a bear / paladin)? When staying in stomp range with 5 players, those stomps brought us all down to sub 20% and often killed the 2nd soaker. When our Tank decided to take one stomp alone, his HP also dropped to approx. 20%.
    It was 100% splitting for us. With 1 ranged not taking stomp I outright died whereas I normally live with 20-30k as the designated melee soak for double stomp damage.