10+ Year Old Account

4.3 Protection BiS list

So I was bored at work the other day and started making a BiS list. Made a heroic and pre-heroic list, aiming the heroic list at getting the 4-set bonus, since I see the bonus as being quite helpful on many fights in Dragon Soul, while the pre-heroic list ignores set-bonuses.
    Items that stay the same for both sets are marked with green. Haven't bothered with LFR gear, since it's of no use to me.

Pre-heroic:
    Helm - Faceguard of Radiant Glory - Warmaster Blackhorn
    Neck - Guardspike Choker - 1250 Valor Points
    Shoulders - Brackenshell Shoulderplate - Morchok
    Cloak - Indefatigable Greatcloak - 1250 Valor Points
    Chest - Chestguard of Radiant Glory - Ultraxion
    Wrist - Titanguard Wristplates - Crafted
    Gloves - Gauntlets of Feathery Blows - 1650 Valor Points
    Waist - Forgesmelter Waistplate - 1650 Valor Points
    Legs - Foundations of Courage - Crafted
    Boots - Stillheart Warboots - Ultraxion
    Ring 1 - Signet of the Resolute - 1250 Valor Points
    Ring 2 - Hardheart Ring - Shared boss loot
    Trinket 1 - Indomitable Pride - Shared boss loot
    Trinket 2 - Resolve of Undying - Madness of Deathwing
    Weapon - Souldrinker - Madness of Deathwing
    Shield - Blackhorn's Mighty Bulwark - Warmaster Blackhorn
    Relic - Stoutheart Talisman - 700 Valor Points

Heroic:
    Helm - Faceguard of Radiant Glory - Warmaster Blackhorn
    Neck - Guardspike Choker - 1250 Valor Points
    Shoulders - Brackenshell Shoulderplate - Morchok
    Cloak - Indefatigable Greatcloak - 1250 Valor Points
    Chest - Chestguard of Radiant Glory - Ultraxion
    Wrist - Graveheart Bracers - Warlord Zon'ozz
    Gloves - Handguards of Radiant Glory - Warlord Zon'ozz
    Waist - Goriona's Collar - Warmaster Blackhorn
    Legs - Legguards of Radiant Glory - Yor'sahj the Unsleeping
    Boots - Stillheart Warboots - Ultraxion
    Ring 1 - Signet of the Resolute - 1250 Valor Points
    Ring 2 - Hardheart Ring - Shared boss loot
    Trinket 1 - Indomitable Pride - Shared boss loot
    Trinket 2 - Resolve of Undying - Madness of Deathwing
    Weapon - Souldrinker - Madness of Deathwing
    Shield - Blackhorn's Mighty Bulwark - Warmaster Blackhorn
    Relic - Stoutheart Talisman - 700 Valor Points

Of course there will be fights where you might want to use a different setup of trinkets and such, and if you really want to whore your ilevel, I guess you could go for Curled Twillight Claw instead of the Valor Point ring.

Anyway, any comments or corrections are welcome.
    Last edited by Tholle; 2011-12-08 at 10:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trinket '2' is a really shitty trinket overall, I would rather stick with the Scales of life personally or Spidersilk.
    Tankadin in Aurora. 6/6HC MSV 6/6HC HOF 3/4HC Terrace 3 days a week (25).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1554 View Post
    Trinket '2' is a really shitty trinket overall, I would rather stick with the Scales of life personally or Spidersilk.
    I would think that they T13 gear should give you enough mastery to grab avoidance or stam trinkets instead of mastery ones, which is why I'd say that 880 dodge (or 990 for the heroic version) is pretty nice on a trinket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tholle View Post
    I would think that they T13 gear should give you enough mastery to grab avoidance or stam trinkets instead of mastery ones, which is why I'd say that 880 dodge (or 990 for the heroic version) is pretty nice on a trinket.
    It isn't bad at all. Although, there are some other nice options, the valor trinket shouldn't be ruled out completely. It's this that is the ever-occurring problem with trinkets, we have quite a few options (Tol Barad trinket is still as good as it was, arguably better considering the amount of magic damage going out this tier), so I wouldn't have those set in stone.

391 Firelands neck is still BiS cause of the insane strength budget on the valorpoint neck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Splosion View Post
    It isn't bad at all. Although, there are some other nice options, the valor trinket shouldn't be ruled out completely. It's this that is the ever-occurring problem with trinkets, we have quite a few options (Tol Barad trinket is still as good as it was, arguably better considering the amount of magic damage going out this tier), so I wouldn't have those set in stone.
    Kinda why I added:
    Of course there will be fights where you might want to use a different setup of trinkets and such...
    I still have my TB trinket and will most likely use it quite often as well, trinkets are always situational and should be swapped around depending on the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbad View Post
    391 Firelands neck is still BiS cause of the insane strength budget on the valorpoint neck.
    Ok, that makes no sense to me at all... I can agree with Firebound Gorget having more mastery, however when it comes to strength I don't see how it can be superior to Guardspike Choker, as you would get more avoidance out of it.
    Last edited by Tholle; 2011-12-08 at 02:40 PM.

What about the 378 Trinket from the HoT Heroic "Veil of Lies". I know it doesnt have exaclty the same amount of uptime as "Resolve of Undying" but still a nice amount when it does proc and i would also rather have a stam trinket with a proc of dodge then a stam trinket and a proc of mastery like with the trinket "Soulshifter Vortex". Or a stamina trinket in general.

Deleted
    Kinda why I added:

I still have my TB trinket and will most likely use it quite often as well, trinkets are always situational and should be swapped around depending on the encounter.

Ok, that makes no sense to me at all... I can agree with Firebound Gorget having more mastery, however when it comes to strength I don't see how it can be superior to Guardspike Choker, as you would get more avoidance out of it.
    He means that the 391 neck is better than the 397 because the 397 uses a lot of it's item budget on STR, as opposed to mastery, and while str certainly gives a bit of parry it is nowhere near enough to make up for the difference.

Kudos for your research. My alt Pala is gonna be happy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntwat View Post
    He means that the 391 neck is better than the 397 because the 397 uses a lot of it's item budget on STR, as opposed to mastery, and while str certainly gives a bit of parry it is nowhere near enough to make up for the difference.
    The difference here is that the 391 uses a lot of it's item budget on expertise. the 397 is better, considering the ease of CTC capping in DS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntwat View Post
    Agreed, but I would say that the dodge you gain from the 397 neck, instead of the expertise from the 391 nech, would make up for it.

---------- Post added 2011-12-08 at 03:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by puhtaterz View Post
    What about the 378 Trinket from the HoT Heroic "Veil of Lies". I know it doesnt have exaclty the same amount of uptime as "Resolve of Undying" but still a nice amount when it does proc and i would also rather have a stam trinket with a proc of dodge then a stam trinket and a proc of mastery like with the trinket "Soulshifter Vortex". Or a stamina trinket in general.
    Soulshifter Vortex is BAD, I repeat BAAAAAADDDDDD for pally tanks. Once you're CTC capped the mastery proc is useless to you. Veil of Lies is decent and much better than Soulshifter Vortex for a pally, however I would personally prefer and on-use proc dodge trinket instead - or in this case, the constant dodge once Resolve of Undying has reached the 10th stack.

Soulshifter Vortex is BAD, I repeat BAAAAAADDDDDD for pally tanks. Once you're CTC capped the mastery proc is useless to you. Veil of Lies is decent and much better than Soulshifter Vortex for a pally, however I would personally prefer and on-use proc dodge trinket instead - or in this case, the constant dodge once Resolve of Undying has reached the 10th stack.
    I agree with the fact that Soulshitfter Vortex is hella bad, I currently use Veil of lies and Fire of the Deep for my two paladin trinkets and i find the amount of uptime on Veil of lies is rididulous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the fact that Soulshitfter Vortex is hella bad, I currently use Veil of lies and Fire of the Deep for my two paladin trinkets and i find the amount of uptime on Veil of lies is rididulous.
    The only gain it has is a huge stamina value. Whilst the proc does nothing for us (I'm sure it's aimed at bears and dks), the static stamina is nothing to scoff at, if for some reason you dislike the (not fantastic) clicky from scales of life. This basically goes back to the ICC days of taking the highest stamina possible, if you're so inclined. (for comparison, the ~20k proc of the 391 scales of life vs 125 stamina from the 410 vortex, might just make us change our minds)

What are your thoughts on the crafting 397 Titanguard Wristplates as opposed to the Graveheart Bracers.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are your thoughts on the crafting 397 Titanguard Wristplates as opposed to the Graveheart Bracers.
    That they somehow were missed in my list of tank wrists. The 2 sockets in the crafted ones will give them better avoidance. Updated pre-heroic list to match it. Thanks for pointing that out.

was looking for one of these, thanks alot