10+ Year Old Account

Fan positioning for the best airflow / cooling. Thoughts?

So I'm starting to get on the train of caring about airflow and cooling for my PC now that I got a pretty decent one. One thing I want to make sure, is that I have the fans installed for the best possible airflow.

Things to note about the picture above, a 2nd GPU will be added tomorrow, as well as 3 more fans, 2 big ones for one more on the top as well as on the side, then a smaller one which I think I'll place at the front. I'm also getting a 212 cooler for the CPU.

How would the best positioning be? I'd think the bigger fans on top should blow air into the case, as then they would help cool the graphics card. Correct? And perhaps the big one on the side as well? I've heard one of the graphics card when running Crossfire gets less cooling than the other due to airflow and stuff.

I should probably do some better cable management as well, but all in due time.

Edit, here is a image showing where the fans are. Blue are big fans, red's small ones. The blue in the middle of the case is on the side panel, obviously.
    http://i.imgur.com/u2Z75.jpg
    Last edited by Asrialol; 2011-12-08 at 07:06 PM.
    Hi

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Top mounted fans are generally used as exhaust since heat rises. Rear case fans are also used as exhaust. Front case fans are intake, bottom mounted fans are intake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, that makes sense I suppose. Any tips for a nice guide or such that shows the "best" way of applying cooling paste on the cpu? Think the way I did it on the stock cooler was.. bad.
    Hi

Deleted
    I would turn my PSU around if possible? The small fan in the PSU helps cool the bottom GPU. I have 1 in the back, 1 at the top and one in the front.

With this setup my OC'd I5 at 4.5GHz is running at 48C max load on games.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wipe the CPU / CPU heatsink clean of all remaining thermal paste and in the center of the CPU put a BB sized ball of thermal paste then attach the cpu heatsink.

---------- Post added 2011-12-08 at 11:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fayme View Post
    I would turn my PSU around if possible? The small fan in the PSU helps cool the bottom GPU. I have 1 in the back, 1 at the top and one in the front.

With this setup my OC'd I5 at 4.5GHz is running at 48C max load on games.
    No, sorry just no.

Power supply fans like the OP's have a large fan that is an intake to cool the PSU. Thus turning it upside down in that case it will pull hot air into the power supply completely negating its purpose. See attached image.

Deleted
    Sorry, I thought the PSU he had was the same as mine. My coolermaster blows air our the top and sucks it from the side.