Question Regarding Party Size

Hey all,

So I play all MMO's in a group of 3. I've always enjoyed company and it let's me play with my friend and lady. Here's my problem, because we play in a group, does this mean that we can only have 1 companion out between us? And so, not build affection for our companions? If so, i'm rather dissapointed that Bioware would hurt players who wish to be in groups so poorly. Well, you take what you can get. Please let me know.

You can still raise companion affection via gifts.
    Yub Yub

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah companions count as a player within your party or raid group. Companions are only meant to play a filling role if a real player can not be found. It isn't that Bioware is trying to hurt players who group, it is that Bioware is helping the solo players who prefer not to group. If you prefer grouping then you don't need your companion at that point in time for fight X because you have player B available. Where as me as a solo player I've got nobody, albeit my choice, so my companion is my filler for player B.

You just have to see it from all sides not just your own perspective to understand the companion system. Nothing can be infallible, especially in regards to game development.

It is true that you can only have a maximum of 4 people in a group, and companions do count as a spot in the group. However, you can alternate which companion you have out and continue to collect gear for companions that are not out. You can also select companions based on the role they fulfill. In early game, the healing companion is nice to have if none of your friends heal, but later in the game, each player gets at least one of all 3 types. At that point, it's just personal preference. Companions are a lot of fun, but not necessary to have fun - especially with people you enjoy being with.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgonz View Post
    Hey all,

So I play all MMO's in a group of 3. I've always enjoyed company and it let's me play with my friend and lady. Here's my problem, because we play in a group, does this mean that we can only have 1 companion out between us? And so, not build affection for our companions? If so, i'm rather dissapointed that Bioware would hurt players who wish to be in groups so poorly. Well, you take what you can get. Please let me know.
    The affection system has nothing to do with using your pet during a group encounter.

The only time you gain affection is during quest conversations and turn ins. Most of the time you can leave the group pull out your companion and still get it. If there is affection granted in a FP or something else that you miss out on, it is very miniscule.

TL;DR - Affection doesn't simply come from having your pet out and killing stuff it is based of your choices in quest lines, and from companion gifts/quests.