Thread: old norse

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

old norse

hey

is there anyone who knows some "old norse" language?

been goggling and keep getting different answers on a simple question,,

what would "The" be in old norse?

one site said its Sem,, other site said Sem = that,

another site said the = du

if anyone could help. would be great

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I know Icelandic is closest to "old norse". And if what little I know of Swedish is to go by, then "the" is under the influence of subjects' sex. Similar to French where you have le, la and les for male, female and multiple subjects.
    Delu čast in oblast!
    Praise the work and give it power!

Deleted
    subject would be. saying..

The Harii

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harii

Deleted
    well it is prolly den/det since it is the words used in danish/swedish/norwegian so the odds for it is good
    Last edited by mmoc3e314534b3; 2011-12-08 at 09:30 PM.

It's a dead language as far as I know, maybe some professor on some university knows what is what, but coming from a swede, no one knows any old norse here. Icelandic is the most well preserved nordic language, which isn't that weird since they are out there on that island :P.

In modern swedish "The" is Det/Den
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2011-12-08 at 09:30 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    thanks for the replies,

after making this post. found this, http://www.freelang.net/online/old_norse.php

that says

the = austrvegr

Have the power to (v), possession, own (v) = eiga

enjoy (v), Have the use of (v) = njóta

lol but Det/Den does sound more like it.. ( from the German i know)

I wouldn't be suprised if it's something as weird as austrvegr, old norse was a completely different language compared to the modern nordic languages.

For example I was down at the Swedish Institute for Language and Folklore last semster for a class I had at Uni, insane how much stuff they got there, anyways, I was just going through 60-70 year old tape recordings, and the accents are so thick and different just going back that short in time that I could understand maybe 50-60% of what was said.

Now imagine old norse which +1000 year old? :P

edit number 2: swedish is getting very streamlined it's an ongoing process, there are still accents and words that might only be used in certain areas of the country(Tyken for example is a word that is from my city Gothenburg, someone from Stockholm would probably go "wtf does that mean" if I used it) but it used to be a lot more like that.

I actually learned a word really recently that is just from the other side of the river, "Löjd" had never heard it before but it's been around for many years, my area off the country got a very rich and massive vucabulary though, but it's pretty cool how a word can stay so local.

Sorry for going OT btw :P
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2011-12-08 at 10:06 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

15+ Year Old Account
    Icelanders can read Old Norse like Norwegians / swedes / Danes read each others languages. There are some problems here and there but they should be able to put words in context and understand it as a whole.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    lol yeh can imagine, but crazy even after all the diluting of the language. its hard to find a common word that's used all the time.. maybe back then they used it differently than us..

but damn trying to find one word has been a nightmare :P

Et annet eksempel på subjektløse setninger på norrønt, er der man ikke vet hvem som utfører handlingen, eller at det ikke kan være noen aktiv utøver. Når vi snakker om at "det regner", hvem er "det" da? På norrønt kuttet de ut "det" og kunne si f.eks.: "rignir", "haustar","myrkvar".

In other words they didnt use (det) and similar as it wasnt needed.

Fus Ro Dah!
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    I wouldn't be suprised if it's something as weird as austrvegr, old norse was a completely different language compared to the modern nordic languages.
    I have never ever heard the word before.

- Norwegian

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    There is really no "Old Norse" language, as it is composed of three difrent countries.
    Denmark.
    Sweden.
    Norway.
    Not sure whether Iceland is in it too or not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KenjiNitari View Post
    There is really no "Old Norse" language, as it is composed of three difrent countries.
    Denmark.
    Sweden.
    Norway.
    Iceland was ''colonised'' by Norway.

- Prince Malchezaar

Old norse is Norrønt and its not a spoken language by most, but very much so a language dated around year 700 with its own rich litterature. Iceland has the language closest to it out of the modern nordic languages.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KenjiNitari View Post
    Denmark.
    Sweden.
    Norway.
    Then from back then. what would the most common way from them languages to say "The"

like. The Harii

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdrumpslap View Post
    thanks for the replies,

after making this post. found this, http://www.freelang.net/online/old_norse.php

that says

the = austrvegr
    This is incorrect, austrvegr is not just "the"... Austrvegr means "the east".

As far as I know there is no "the" in old norse, that's just the way the language worked... The language was constructed to function without.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2011-12-08 at 10:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhogg View Post
    Et annet eksempel på subjektløse setninger på norrønt, er der man ikke vet hvem som utfører handlingen, eller at det ikke kan være noen aktiv utøver. Når vi snakker om at "det regner", hvem er "det" da? På norrønt kuttet de ut "det" og kunne si f.eks.: "rignir", "haustar","myrkvar".

In other words they didnt use (det) and similar as it wasnt needed.
    In good ol' english:

One other example of non-subject sentences in old Norse, is where it is unknown who performs the action, or it can not be an active performer. When we say "det regner (it rains)", who is "det (it)" ? In old Norse they skipped "det(it/the and similar)" and could say for instance: "rignir", "haustar","myrkvar".

I hope I translated that one right :S
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

The Norse/Norrønt language did not use The and similar, you would be closer to norse by changing the ending of your word ( Hariir ) as that is how you determine what it says in norse by the ending of words, it explains their purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Iceland was ''colonised'' by Norway.
    That's a nice way to put it. It was "colonized" by criminals and people who were hunted in norway, if I recall correctly. Our own little Australia^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P