Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you think teachers check your sources?

Really off-topic even for this subforum, but oh well. I've got a final paper due in approximately 6 hours, and I'm wondering if teachers actually check your sources for a research paper? I've basically gone the easy route and used Wikipedia, along with what other vaguely relevant articles I could find to fill my citation quota. So, how easily do you think teachers can pick up on the fact? And no, I'm not citing Wikipedia, I'm citing the sources the writers of the Wiki articles used themselves, making sure my sentences are as paraphrased as they can get.

Did I mention this is going through that wonderful tool called Turnitin? Anyone know how THAT works?

definitely not in elementary school, high school maybe, university... you're fucked

Yes they do. Especially wikipedia. As long as you didnt copy/paste from it & had other sources too you might be ok though.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    definitely not in elementary school, high school maybe, university... you're fucked
    2-year college. Our teacher is as lazy as they come. Most days she doesn't have a solid lesson plan, lets us out an hour early.

If you're High school, probably. For anything higher, definitely.

High school being grades 9-12 (around ages 15-18)
    WoD updated Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/eOlZz9N.png

really depends on the teacher. Most of my old teachers didn't check at all. but some teachers take a random sentence from a paper you've entered on google to see if the same thing you have handed in is also on the internet.
    I'd say go for it , since in 6 hours you will never get another paper done it's best to use your internet one than don't turn one in at all.
    I hope you won't get caught mate.

you know, i am not sure. when i was in college we had to put the sources at the end of our papers, but then handed them in as paper not online, so i find it hard to imagine my lecturer sat there at night typing in each web address to check, or looked up books i had referenced. im certain mine didnt because i lied on some of my sources, my college decided that Wikipedia is not a valid source so we couldn't use anything from it, so stuff i took from wiki i just referenced random related sites.
    Too cool for a signature

use the sources of the wikipedia article as the sources for your thing instead?

It's just luck. Teachers are just human, but if it looks suspicious I'm sure the first place he/she will check will be Wikipedia. I had one tutor in university who had the uncanny ability of knowing exactly what I read in prepreration for work. It all depends whether or not they have seen it before.

That will depend greatly on the teacher, how many of these papers he/she needs to grade, and what kind of help they have available. In all likelihood if they have several classes worth of final papers to grade they are not going to check each individual source unless you make it too obvious. If you get one that has several OCD student aids doing the grading they might just be crazy enough to carefully fact check and examine sources of everything. You'll be takeing a gamble but its probably better than not turning in the paper at all. Might I suggest starting on your final paper a smidge bit sooner next term?

An additional note this is only for sources where you need to cite where you got your data or whatever from. Dont ever copy/paste unless the intent is to provide a direct quote. Any content of a paper that can be pulled up on an internet search verbatim will likely be caught.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2011-12-08 at 10:46 PM.

Who is John Galt?

I know of one women who got a paper turned in to her that was literally her own entry on Wikipedia word for word, being in the business they probably already know the source and don't need to check it. If it is from a source they don't know I'm sure they would check it out. Do not wait to work on a paper your education is your own future. Don't half ass it your cheating future you out of epic gear (like a home that's is not a dump in the ghetto, nice things like big TVs and vacations). Good luck on your paper i hope it turns out awesome and you get a great grade!

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    use the sources of the wikipedia article as the sources for your thing instead?
    Exactly what I'm doing. There's a good chance the Turnitin program could pick up on it and lead her right to Wikipedia, and she might catch on I used Wikipedia instead of the real sources (though, I do have some other, "scholarly" sources, it's just that the majority is Wikipedia). I know my 12th grade English teacher used to do this. She would pick 1-2 random sentences and Google them to see where we got them, but mostly Turnitin does this for them now.

There are automated sources that papers can be inputed in that will check for plagiarism; though found most/good teachers can tell based on your writing style if it is your words or someone else. Also remember if it is on a pre-selected topic that the teacher has read hundreds of papers on that subject and will probably know most the major sources by memory.
    For probably majority of papers though as long as it seems to go with your previous turnins and style of writing that they will not check it.

The Patient
    In college I paraphrased some articles for a research paper in a psychology class. It came back with an F, and a meeting with the dean to discuss why I chose to plagiarize. I was a freshman and played the ignorance card of "that's how we did it in High School". But GL.

Also, college is was the subjective educational experience of my life. I quickly learned that my grade was determined by how much I could socialize with the teacher. The education system is shit. I look at my degree in my office and lol at least once a day.

Field Marshal
    There are software programs that are ridiculously good and efficient at finding material lifted on the internet, Wikipedia in particular. Doesn't matter how "lazy" the teacher is when they can check your work for plagiarism and citation sources with a few mouse clicks. Don't do it - not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapax View Post
    There are software programs that are ridiculously good and efficient at finding material lifted on the internet, Wikipedia in particular. Doesn't matter how "lazy" the teacher is when they can check your work for plagiarism and citation sources with a few mouse clicks. Don't do it - not worth it.
    With the time I've got, I don't have much of a choice. Just gauging my chances at this point.

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like the gist is just "it comes down to the teacher".

Also, college is was the subjective educational experience of my life. I quickly learned that my grade was determined by how much I could socialize with the teacher. The education system is shit. I look at my degree in my office and lol at least once a day.[/QUOTE]

Get this man a prize! Absolute truth.
    I am Nothing. No one. Nobody. No More.

At Uni my Eng-Lit profession always used to tell us of the scanner/program that he scanned all our papers through to check for plagiarism via internet. I always called bullshit on this... Until he showed me the scanner at work. All it did was check by paragraph.

He said when he gets the alert of something like that he checks for a sources page, footnotes whatever format you use, and then checks the source. If you don't have one, or copy/pasted he'd chucked your paper right there.

So yes, they probably check. Maybe he was just thorough but it's nice to actually learn something, can't learn much from copy/paste.

not worth risking it if that's what your asking.
    Last edited by Shamburger; 2011-12-08 at 10:30 PM.

Scarab Lord
    IMO they hardly ever check sources. The only problem is when they start to recognise some work, then they go after it like dogs and don't let go.

I lie sometimes, especially when I need to support certain statements. If you can write your paper without problems in some other way but need some relevant sources to support it then you can check out some diploma papers online on the same/relevant topics and reference those books. But it still depends on the circumstances.

I do not think most high school teachers care enough to check everyone's sources..or even half the peoples sources.