Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I graduated from from elementary back in 2000 and even then there were a bunch of classmates getting nailed when teachers were checking sources. It's a lot easier for them to do it now, now that most of the referenced material is available online as well.

Not worth it to try and cheat the system.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

I've had teachers at the HS and college level that were page counters. One year I decided to have a little fun and write a biology paper.........about a plucky little fellow that went to Africa to find diamonds only to realize that there was some gold there as well. At several points it read "In his search for diamonds he found gold, gold, gold and the occasional gold deposit." By the time I was done the word gold was around 20% of the paper. I got my paper back in a few days with an A on it. So next time we had a writing assignment a few of us decided to have a contest and see who could write the dumbest paper they could. It wound up being a tie between a paper titled The Benefits of Bike Helmets, which actually was a list of injuries the author would not want to live through and a paper about how TVs are all part of a dastardly plot to infect the masses with radiation poisoning.

It's entirely dependent on your instructor though.

If something stands out as an issue or just interest the teacher they are going to want to go look at it, other than that it is probably just a random check...of course college doesn't mean they are going to care any more than they did in high school unless it is a big ticket item and not just a grade for the student. It just really depends on the field of study.
    FFXIV:ARR EXCALIBUR Drg (Dude where's my Wyvern?)
    Miriya Garisk 116 Pld/War Tank 113 Pld Dps 106 Drg
    Vamperica Garisk 109 Blm
    Retired from WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    At Uni my Eng-Lit profession always used to tell us of the scanner/program that he scanned all our papers through to check for plagiarism via internet. I always called bullshit on this... Until he showed me the scanner at work. All it did was check by paragraph.

He said when he gets the alert of something like that he checks for a sources page, footnotes whatever format you use, and then checks the source. If you don't have one, or copy/pasted he'd chucked your paper right there.

So yes, they probably check. Maybe he was just through but it's nice to actually learn something, can't learn much from copy/paste.

not worth risking it if that's what your asking.

Most UK unis / colleges use a program called turnitin which does the same, if i remember rightly it also checks it against other papers students have submitted. but if you hand in the paper not online they cant really check it with the program so it was kinda useless for us.
    Too cool for a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Selkinor View Post
    Did I mention this is going through that wonderful tool called Turnitin? Anyone know how THAT works?
    Yup. My papers went through that. Basically, it searches the internet/a database of articles/books/what-have-you for areas that should require a source or might be plagiarized. If large portions have the same wording, it highlights the area for the professor to look into potential plagiarism/makes sure the student used a citation. It also stores those papers so that if someone buys a paper that's already been used, it gets caught. It works fairly well.

After that, it depends on the professor. Some professors are just fine with you using Wikipedia as a source, but you MUST cite it. Some prefer that you go directly to Wikipedia's sources and cite those. I've had some professors who wouldn't have a clue, and other professors who would know that all you did was re-word the Wikipedia article. If you're writing a research paper on something that they know backwards and forwards, you're screwed.

There's a reason that grading research papers takes a long time. They're checking it thoroughly.

(Please note: this is based on my experience at university. That was several years ago, and the technology has only gotten better. So be warned.)

Herald of the Titans tommypilgrim's Avatar
    Using the sources from Wikipedia shouldn't be a problem, as long as you're not plagiarising. Plagiarisng is using somebody else's work as your own without crediting them. If you're just using sources and writing about them then that should be fine.
    Did you like the above post? How about sending me a dollar? I'd have adverts here but apparently that'd break ToS.

im more then positive, As this has happened to me, But Most Uni's scan/run your assignement through a peice of software which checks it with the internet to see if its forged.

It's pretty obvious that if 80 percent of your whole thing came from wikipedia that you copy pasted.

Copy/paste, then proofread and change EVERYTHING you can...

Literally everything, hell. make a Mistake here or there, If your desperate enough to plaguerise, Your desperate enough to make a mistake or 7 (intentionally), Lose marks for it, and still pass

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Most UK unis / colleges use a program called turnitin which does the same, if i remember rightly it also checks it against other papers students have submitted. but if you hand in the paper not online they cant really check it with the program so it was kinda useless for us.
    That it does. In 11th grade, someone decided to use their brother's paper, word for word, and turn it in for the same assignment he had a year ago. His brother had turned it in through Turnitin, and so did he. It came back with an F (but the teacher was nice enough to let him redo it).

Well don't know about the program you named but my University uses a program on its online hand in page that scans your work for text that is also online and highlighting those for the teacher. In general if you rewrite the information from the sources you are fine, unless the teacher has the time (they never do) to read every source you use.

Yea they do. I got fucked once in college lol - my teammates from football all traded papers and it bit me in the ass

EDIT: That was 4 year though don't know about tech schools, but as long as you make an effort to paraphrase you should be alright
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

My English prof. certainly checked sources of everything and anything found on wiki was thrown out as an actual source. She also required at least two hard sources to be used. (Also, I took my math and English classes at a two year. So it is more about the teacher than the school from what I have seen)

Of course, it depends on the teach. If your prof is anything like my current marketing teacher she probably doesn't give a damn as long as you are there and you try. I swear the guy reminds me of Billy Bob from Bad Santa though. Looks just like him and he seems to take his job just as serious. I am actually surprised when he is on time or keeps us for the three hours he's supposed to. Heck, wouldn't shock me at all if he showed up with a bottle of Jack.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

they can tell if you use all wikipedia, since those SHOULD be on your Works Cited.

However mine didn't seem to notice/care that some of my sources were papers written by high schoolers XD as long as it's off the internet and she doesn't immediately recognize the website on the URL...

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    use the sources of the wikipedia article as the sources for your thing instead?
    This, where do you think that information comes from? Check the citations have a brief read and see if you can use them directly instead. Nothing wrong with wikipedia when you use it correctly.

I used to make up my own addresses from real ones.. for example, lets say im writing a paper on world war 2, and i claim hitler is really black.. being extreme here ofc, so you'll catch my drift.
    Assuming the teacher WILL check your sources, use a relevant webpage as a source either way, that way she knows it real; like: http://history1900s.about.com/od/wor...wwiistarts.htm . She clicks that, fine.. np.. Then for the source about hitler being black, you just add a little somethin somethin, as such: http://history1900s.about.com/od/wor...ersorigins.htm .
    When she clicks it, ofc it'll be a blank page.. Not you're fault, they must have changed it *shrug*.. Doesnt always work I might add - if she doesnt check sources, you probably shouldnt write hitler is black. Coz ovious.. Is obvitrollous.

Edit: clicked my own fake link, wasnt blank. Even better, now she'll get even more confused.. When life gives you lemons huh.. Awesome.
    Last edited by Damsbo; 2011-12-08 at 10:42 PM.
    I like juice

They're probably going to have 100-200 to mark. It's safe to say they won't check every single source on every single one. Although they will check some, maybe like 1 per thing

Exactly what I'm doing. There's a good chance the Turnitin program could pick up on it and lead her right to Wikipedia, and she might catch on I used Wikipedia instead of the real sources (though, I do have some other, "scholarly" sources, it's just that the majority is Wikipedia). I know my 12th grade English teacher used to do this. She would pick 1-2 random sentences and Google them to see where we got them, but mostly Turnitin does this for them now.
    I don't understand why this would be a problem. It's common for teachers to not accept Wikipedia as a source, but that doesn't mean you can't use it as a resource to find other sources. If the sources that are referenced on Wikipedia are legitimate, a teacher should have no problem with that. If they do have a problem with it, they're doing it wrong.

Trick I saw used a few times in college: intentionally corrupt the file for your semi-finished paper, I'm not going to go into details as to how it can be done, google it. Next, submit your paper on time and keep working on your paper at your leisure. By the time your prof discovers your corrupted copy, you will hopefully have your paper completed to re-submit. Or they just flunk you outright, 50/50 chance is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    I don't understand why this would be a problem. It's common for teachers to not accept Wikipedia as a source, but that doesn't mean you can't use it as a resource to find other sources. If the sources that are referenced on Wikipedia are legitimate, a teacher should have no problem with that. If they do have a problem with it, they're doing it wrong.
    A lot of the sources I am grabbing off Wikipedia are books, .edu, and .gov websites. The sources aren't the problem. The problem is when they know you've only really looked at and paraphrased Wikipedia, not the "real" sources. You're essentially citing someone else's research paper, I think, and apparently that's a no-no. I've personally never understood what the problem with Wikipedia was. *shrug*

It really depends on the teacher. Some teachers are really cognizant of what their students are capable of, so if something outside of that is submitted, they check. There's a tool that teachers use to check sources that just involves copy/pasting chunks into a search engine so it's not difficult for them.

A friend of mine got accused of plagiarism a few days ago and did not receive a grade for her major paper in the class. The issue was that she forgot quotation marks around a quote, even though it was cited, making it look like a paraphrase. I know this isn't the issue you're looking at, but it speaks to the varying results of academic dishonesty.

A lot of the sources I am grabbing off Wikipedia are books, .edu, and .gov websites. The sources aren't the problem. The problem is when they know you've only really looked at and paraphrased Wikipedia, not the "real" sources. You're essentially citing someone else's research paper, I think, and apparently that's a no-no. I've personally never understood what the problem with Wikipedia was. *shrug*
    The problem with Wikipedia is that articles can be edited by literally anybody. That problem, however, does not extend to the sources.