Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    This whole copyright shit and sourcing is out of control. I mean, I've had teachers tell me that I couldn't use my own paper (that is elaborate on the subject), or I needed to source it. It's my own fucking words, and I didnt copyright it, and theoretically if they assume so, I can waive the copyright cause I'm the fucking owner.

    It's almost as if the university believes that everything submitted through their checker thing is automatically theirs, even my work, so now I have to cite my previous thoughts because my intellectual property is no longer my own? What the flying fuck, it has gotten so bad that the laws which were supposed to protect authors, now infringes on students rights.

    And the background checker is bullshit in its own right. There's like a % threshold. IDK the exact number but like below 35% or something is considered OK.
    -You are now breathing manually-

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    This whole copyright shit and sourcing is out of control. I mean, I've had teachers tell me that I couldn't use my own paper (that is elaborate on the subject), or I needed to source it. It's my own fucking words, and I didnt copyright it, and theoretically if they assume so, I can waive the copyright cause I'm the fucking owner.

    It's almost as if the university believes that everything submitted through their checker thing is automatically theirs, even my work, so now I have to cite my previous thoughts because my intellectual property is no longer my own? What the flying fuck, it has gotten so bad that the laws which were supposed to protect authors, now infringes on students rights.

    And the background checker is bullshit in its own right. There's like a % threshold. IDK the exact number but like below 35% or something is considered OK.
    I know, right? I'm not sure what should be cited and what shouldn't anymore. I've only written a handful of research papers, but ever single one either comes back with "too much paraphrased and not cited information" or I've cited 80% of my words to the point of ridiculousness. I'm a pretty fine writer, I've gotten several grades of 90+ and a 100 on a persuasive paper I wrote in this class - I just don't understand research papers.

  3. #43
    Turn-it-in will claim you and all your classmates plagurised eachothers title, thats how stupid the system is.

  4. #44
    no unless the website seems kinda off, I made up a ton of sources last minute for a paper in high school and nothing happened.

  5. #45
    Don't do anything stupid that will run the risk of you failing the assignment, the course, or getting kicked out altogether.

  6. #46
    I am Murloc! Garnier Fructis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location:
    Posts
    5,685
    If a professor uses Turnitin.com, I'll drop the class and try again the following semester. I don't cheat or copy words, but I hate having to deal with that bullshit.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    If a professor uses Turnitin.com, I'll drop the class and try again the following semester. I don't cheat or copy words, but I hate having to deal with that bullshit.
    Way past that deadline, unfortunately, and my grade is otherwise an A. Hoping this final paper doesn't ruin it, but it is 30% of my overall. Ugh.

  8. #48
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas/College Station, Tx
    Posts
    327
    In the Texas university system, our professors rely WAY too heavily on something called Turn It In. turnitin.com is basically an anti-plagarism site, and teachers are under the assumption that you, as a student, will of course quote verbatim out of your sources. Well, if you do what I do and paraphrase your sources (because it sounds better and you can twist sources to say what you want them to say), your sources don't come up in turnitin.com's anti-plagarism check. So, when a professor goes back through and says "Wow, none of this paper came up on the scan! Wonder why he didn't quote any sources...", they see that I paraphrased, they are too lazy to check the actual sources because it would take too much time. Honestly, this is how my professors work. I talked to one of them about this (after I finished their class, of course) and they said that they're too lazy to verify that each of your sources actually said what you said that they said.

  9. #49
    I've had some teachers here in Florida that talked about using turnitin.com too, but the ones that talked about it I know didn't use it to check every single paper. It's something they only used if they had a feeling you might be copying.

  10. #50
    Bloodsail Admiral Scrabblet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    Yes they do. Especially wikipedia. As long as you didnt copy/paste from it & had other sources too you might be ok though.
    Here's what you do:

    1. Go to Wikipedia
    2. Find information
    3. Look at the numbers in the little "[__]" thing they have above phrases and words and stuff
    4. Look for that number down in References
    5. Copy/Paste that website
    6. ???
    7. Profit!

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    I've had teachers at the HS and college level that were page counters. One year I decided to have a little fun and write a biology paper.........about a plucky little fellow that went to Africa to find diamonds only to realize that there was some gold there as well. At several points it read "In his search for diamonds he found gold, gold, gold and the occasional gold deposit." By the time I was done the word gold was around 20% of the paper. I got my paper back in a few days with an A on it. So next time we had a writing assignment a few of us decided to have a contest and see who could write the dumbest paper they could. It wound up being a tie between a paper titled The Benefits of Bike Helmets, which actually was a list of injuries the author would not want to live through and a paper about how TVs are all part of a dastardly plot to infect the masses with radiation poisoning.

    It's entirely dependent on your instructor though.
    I took a CS class about two years ago and decided I didn't like the topic of the final paper. I hated the instructor, so I wasn't willing to be bothered to put in the work on the assigned topic. I was already getting a high A, and the final paper wasn't a massive percentage of my grade, so I figured what the hell. I wrote a paper on The Thirty Years War instead. A history paper for a computer science class. You do the math on that one. I ended up with an A on the paper. It's like the instructor didn't even bother reading it. I LOL'd pretty hard, and my classmates got a kick out of it. I still have that paper, as well as his comments; "Good job!" LOLOLOL

    On topic - Plagiarism is bad. It highly depends on your instructor, but don't be surprised if you get caught and end up having to meet with your dean. It could go awesome and you get away with it no problems, or you could fail the paper, or even the class. Risk vs reward!

  12. #52
    in my experience, only if it already looks suspicious because the work doesn't resemble the style/languague level of your previous work they have seen.

  13. #53
    Bloodsail Admiral Talokami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,080
    Nah mate you're boned. Even at the two-year level, colleges and uni's take plagiarism incredibly seriously. Also, since your professor is using Turnitin you'll get busted. It does the work for them and if she's as lazy as you say it's great incentive for her. Academic papers are serious shit so don't muck with it.

    Edit: Then again, I was an English major so my ass got ridden especially hard about plagiarism. Fun fact: English majors don't enjoy writing essays but we can bullshit the best paper you've ever seen.
    Last edited by Talokami; 2011-12-09 at 12:49 AM.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

  14. #54
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    16,248
    about the turnitin program, in my college we was allowed to use it, we just had to take our work to the library and you could run it through to see if anything comes up, might wana give it a go.
    Too cool for a signature

  15. #55
    As a teacher myself I check sources if I sense plagiarism. If the language throughout the paper differs greatly from paragraph to paragraph or chapter to chapter, I will check it out further. Being in jr. high where this might not be as "serious" as it would be at the University, you still should "fear" being checked.

    Others mentioned your relationship with your teacher. If you think for a second that your teachers don't know you, take another second and rethink that. If you've been working with this teacher before, he or she will most likely know how you write and think within the subject. Not to mention the skill you have. When I get something that's worth an A+ from a student that usually gets Cs and Ds then something's up.

    Don't slack on sources. If your teacher is mildly intelligent and does his/her job somewhat correctly this will get noticed.

  16. #56
    Bloodsail Admiral Talokami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    The problem with Wikipedia is that articles can be edited by literally anybody. That problem, however, does not extend to the sources.
    Just saw this and kuku is correct. Anybody can edit Wikipedia articles which does make them fallible to certain degrees. So if some schmoe who knows nothing about the topic decides to edit the page on, say, theories of the universe, those edits have a chance of making it to the published page and being taken as fact.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

  17. #57
    In University, yes. Some professors require you send them your documents in electronic form so they can run it through a plagiarism checker.
    you fill my lungs with sweetness & you fill my head with you.

  18. #58
    I had the experience of a great english teacher where he didn't care for this whole copyright/plagiarism to the extent of the college. He wanted you to cite other people, but not the extent where he was teaching about it.

    He had this great rant about how English and paper writing has now devolved into citations rather than improving the student's work.
    -You are now breathing manually-

  19. #59
    Use the wikipedia sources and you are fine.

  20. #60
    Epic! Blockygame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Shrike Abyssal
    Posts
    1,570
    Any Teacher worth their qualified status will easily figure out if it's something you wrote or if it's something you took from elsewhere, it's not something I would recommend making a habit out of doing, you're only hurting yourself in the long run.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •