Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    This whole copyright shit and sourcing is out of control. I mean, I've had teachers tell me that I couldn't use my own paper (that is elaborate on the subject), or I needed to source it. It's my own fucking words, and I didnt copyright it, and theoretically if they assume so, I can waive the copyright cause I'm the fucking owner.

It's almost as if the university believes that everything submitted through their checker thing is automatically theirs, even my work, so now I have to cite my previous thoughts because my intellectual property is no longer my own? What the flying fuck, it has gotten so bad that the laws which were supposed to protect authors, now infringes on students rights.

And the background checker is bullshit in its own right. There's like a % threshold. IDK the exact number but like below 35% or something is considered OK.
    At university you aren't really meant to be coming out with independent research, especially at undergraduate level. The majority of your work should be derived from other people's concepts (especially in English). Of course, there is room for you to extrapolate, but the likelyhood of you creating a unique, valid, peer reviewed theory is very very slim. When doing your final thesis at the end of your final year there might be some room for personal conjecture, however the vast majority of your work will be derived from other people's theories.

As for the whole intellectual copyright thing, that isn't the reason we cite. We cite sources because it provides a basis to our argument, it shows we haven't just drawn it up on the back of a cigarette packet. That's why you have to cite everything you draw upon, even yourself. Welcome to academia!

Oh, and most things you submit to your university will become their property. This was definitely true for my dissertation, and I'd assume it applies to other works too.
    Did you like the above post? How about sending me a dollar? I'd have adverts here but apparently that'd break ToS.

also how well does your teacher know you, one i had got to know his students quite well, to see your writing style and such, a lot of the time its quite easy to tell when someone has wrote something them selves or just got it off the internet.
    Too cool for a signature

My German teacher used to check Google Translate a lot, does that count?

(No really, we saw her use it all the time. We even had German students come into class, and we showed them the work she gave us. The students went through with a highlighter and marked everything that she spelled or used wrong.)

What I do, if I use wikipedia, is I cite the sources at the bottom of the page, after verifying those sources.

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

Quote Originally Posted by Selkinor View Post
    Did I mention this is going through that wonderful tool called Turnitin? Anyone know how THAT works?
    Turnitin.com is a website where your teacher will submit your paper and they will perform a search over the web and return how much of your paper is copied from sources they have a database of books as well and changing a word here or there will not work it will pick up on that. what percentage you get back is of course determined by how many words are in your paper. it depends on what percentage your teacher will allow your paper to have before she decided to enforce whatever grading she wants. depending on your school level it could be points off your paper detention for pauperism or being put on academic suspension or termination from that school. alot of collages dont give a crap if you get suspended or terminated your there on your own money in time.