Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

SWTOR Starships - Acquisition, Tours & Space Combat (spoilers)

Hey everyone, I managed to get quite a few of the ships before the BETA finally ended.

I've made videos for the Fury (SW/SI), D5-Mantis (BH), and the Defender (JK/JC). I've shown what happens when you get them, when you get on board, and done a quick look around. I've also sent them out into space combat to give you an idea of what they look like in that environment, as well as allowing you to see that feature itself

Hope you enjoy! Spoilers are obvious here :P

Fury:

D5-Mantis:

Defender:

Deleted
    Haha, that railshooter space combat looks so boring, they could atleast have put some real effort into it. and what's up with all the choppyness on some of the spaceships when they fly?

Ships look nice though! Just a shame those ships will make the game world seem more empty later on as the population evens out and goes down a bit, as quite a few people will just afk in their ships and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Batistarama View Post
    Haha, that railshooter space combat looks so boring, they could atleast have put some real effort into it. and what's up with all the choppyness on some of the spaceships when they fly?

Ships look nice though! Just a shame those ships will make the game world seem more empty later on as the population evens out and goes down a bit, as quite a few people will just afk in their ships and so on.
    And what would you prefer for space combat?

Also, OP, I see you like Mako.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

15+ Year Old Account

Its a mini-game, just like the flyer in Jade empire, the swoop racing/Pazaak in Kotor (which they want to bring back to SWTOR).
    If you are expecting a full space combat simulator thats your problem, probably an expansion btw.

Ever hear don't knock it until you try it? When I heard it was on rails I was disappointed. Then I played it.

It doesn't reinvent anything and the escourt mission was boring, but the other two were a lot of fun. Especially the attack on the station. I enjoyed it a fair amount.

I actually enjoyed the space combat minigame. Something you should keep in mind is that is the very first mission you get.....

The early missions were ok

As level increased they got better and better basically, and the last ones I did came before they added a lot more to it(the emp, and....power diverter? or whatever it's called)

Another thing I noticed was that as you leveled and upgraded your ship, more bonus objectives were added to the early missions to continue to provide you with reasonable goals to try for instead of just stomping all over everything and being bored. Maken Te Assault is more fun when you're also trying to take out a bunch of frigate shield generators etc along with the other objectives.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

Flying on railes is the best option to make space combat feel as epic as it did in the movies.Did you ever play Star wars galaxies or Battlefront 2?The space combat in those games was nothing but a pain in the ass,constantly going around in circles trying to find your target,unable to really tell where anything is cause its space and everything looks the same.This is the beter option to give it more depth and feel.And its actually very very fun.I would like a travel system like EvE possibly one day.

for me the on rail shooter is the best xp grind ever in an mmo. It is not hard i start it move around shooting ships come out with like a 4th of a level do that for the 4 or so runs that i had available and boom i get the next level not sitting on respawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Doriath View Post
    Flying on railes is the best option to make space combat feel as epic as it did in the movies.Did you ever play Star wars galaxies or Battlefront 2?The space combat in those games was nothing but a pain in the ass,constantly going around in circles trying to find your target,unable to really tell where anything is cause its space and everything looks the same.This is the beter option to give it more depth and feel.And its actually very very fun.I would like a travel system like EvE possibly one day.
    I actually really enjoyed battlefront 2 space battles, but opinions are fun

FYI, 2nd to last beta, they made it so that you can get inside your Friends' ships. So now you can explore all the ships on your side, inside the game.

I definitely loved the space combat, but I don't know if it necessarily has to be the only option. I've been playing tons of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter for the past couple weeks, and I think if they implemented those kinds of missions as pvp options, then it could make for an interesting expansion. I know SWG tried something similar, but frankly I wasn't very happy with the way their controls felt. As stated above, it was a pain in the ass to find your target, and the missions took forever because of how spaced out everything was. The one major downside I could see to having an X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter style option would be that you'd either need a joystick or a game pad to make it really feel right, and though a lot of players already have those peripheral devices, many others don't and might be reluctant to acquire them for only one part of the game.

TL;DR: I love the ships/space combat. There are other options, but they come with their own challenges/downsides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphmortus View Post
    saelthos, I think you are the most rational person I have ever seen on a gaming forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    I actually really enjoyed battlefront 2 space battles, but opinions are fun
    Eh yeah personal opinion then,I found it dull and uninteresting.

wow I cant wait to get a ship!

I love how this is just the beginning! One can just imagine all the possibilities, (well it will be some what EVE based) but imagine large amount of Spaceship PVP and even space SHIP ARENA teams, 3v3 5v5, and even guild battles, where each guild would fly a MOTHERship and the rest of the guild has to protect it while attacking the other guilds mothership!

OMG I can't wait!

PS WHAT the fuck is mako wearing on his head? That looks like a 1500 Ming dynasty Chinese foot soldier helmet.
    Last edited by nogard64; 2011-12-09 at 04:20 AM.

I think Space Combat is still at a very early stage..

I can see a lot of potential here like co-op shooter/time trials/leaderboards..

They have a good setup with very responsive controls. Also a good rail shooter can be addictive if it's tuned right with challenge objectives..

It's a good break from normal MMO progression mechanism without feeling like you are doing absolutely nothing since Space Combat dailies do give you xps, badges and credits.

The Space Combat is actually quite fun when you do it. Also while you dont directly control the full flight path of the ship etc if you dont "point" it in hte right direction you can crash
    I found it to be a fun side thing, extra credits, dailies and the like.. was nice to have a fewmins break from killing everyone else in the universe

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    I love how this is just the beginning! One can just imagine all the possibilities, (well it will be some what EVE based) but imagine large amount of Spaceship PVP and even space SHIP ARENA teams, 3v3 5v5, and even guild battles, where each guild would fly a MOTHERship and the rest of the guild has to protect it while attacking the other guilds mothership!
    Sadly something like that just wont happen, considering how little they've cared about PvP so far, I cant see them making a railshooter work for it. Also, I guess this kind of railway "action" is what some gamers have grown to like due to CoD singleplayer and such, lots of scripted stuff and little thought from your own side.

I know people are gonna look at 'everything' about this game with their rose tinted glasses this close to release, just like with rift, war etc, but I really think that they could have done something more with it, atleast made some sort of travel.

The space combat was far more fun than I imagined. It has the potential to be amazing. Yeah, it's on rails, but for a minigame it's very good and it certainly had the Star Wars feeling to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly something like that just wont happen, considering how little they've cared about PvP so far, I cant see them making a railshooter work for it. Also, I guess this kind of railway "action" is what some gamers have grown to like due to CoD singleplayer and such, lots of scripted stuff and little thought from your own side.

I know people are gonna look at 'everything' about this game with their rose tinted glasses this close to release, just like with rift, war etc, but I really think that they could have done something more with it, atleast made some sort of travel.
    Its a mini-game, not TIE-Fighter. Its not meant to be a full-on space sim. If you want that, give Bioware another 6 months to push something crappy out.

No MMO is perfect, or even complete, at release. Chances are Bioware may revisit it sometime down the road. But if you don't like it, don't play it. Its far from a requirement.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

The Fury is just soo sexy, I want to marry it and make little Tie Fighter babies....

I did quite a few space missions during my two beta weekends, and yes it's "on rails" and may seem ... lacking. But it's optional, and the rewards aren't necessary for character progression. And I enjoyed it a lot, and can't wait to get started again.

---------- Post added 2011-12-09 at 10:26 AM ----------

and what's up with all the choppyness on some of the spaceships when they fly?
    Some of it is erratic mouse movement, and some of it is possibly related to video recording.

I played on a "Recommended" setup, and space combat was not choppy at all.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche