Page 1 of 404
1
2
3
11
51
101
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443

    2013 NBA Season News and Discussion

    With the lockout nearly over, the NBA season will be starting soon.The first major dominoes of the NBA offseason fell today.

    The Heat solidified their bench by adding Shane Battier. The Heat already has some tremendous defensive talent. Adding Battier to that mix is going to make them formidable. The Knicks are on the brink of signing Tyson Chandler and using their new amnesty clause ability on Chauncey Billups therefore voiding his contract with the team. Caron Butler is leaving the Mavs for the Clipppers.

    The biggest domino of all is the soon to be completed trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers in a three team trade with the Rockets. New Orleans gets Odom from the Lakers Scola, Martin, and Dragic and a 1st from Houston. Houston gets Pau Gasol and some other pieces. LA receives Chris Paul and maybe other stuff. Most notably, the Lakers still retain Bynum who is expected to be the main piece in a deal to acquire Dwight Howard from the Magic. Lakers with a good point guard? Good luck other Western teams.

    Big grats to the NBA owners on completely failing with their new CBA that nearly resulted in a cancelled season. What did they gain exactly? Their big markets continue to rape and pillage the small markets, which was supposed to be stopped in the new CBA. There is no hard cap to prevent teams from spending all they want and then paying luxury tax. No revenue sharing. It took all of one week for this agreement in principal to be completely burned to the ground by the big market owners. Too bad they just ratified the deal. I wonder if some of the small market owners would have tried to block it and get more favorable terms.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-12-09 at 01:13 AM.

  2. #2
    I laughed until I thought I was going to puke when I saw the Laker trade. One, do they even have an assurance from CP3 he'll resign? The guy wants to go to the Knicks. Two, they've got ZERO frontcourt. You don't win in the NBA without a frontcourt and you damn sure don't win when Luke Walton is starting. Three, they'll probably do away with the Triangle(Aka the only offense Kobe has really ever done). Four, how many bad knees are going to be getting relied on more now? Oh. And Mike Brown is the coach.

    Too funny.

    Interesting note: Yahoo Sports is reporting NBA owners have pushed commissioner David Stern to kill the deal sending Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers. The league owns the team. Owners don't believe deal should be allowed.

    Update: Deal has reportedly been killed.
    Last edited by RollTide; 2011-12-09 at 02:09 AM.

  3. #3
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    I laughed until I thought I was going to puke when I saw the Laker trade. One, do they even have an assurance from CP3 he'll resign? The guy wants to go to the Knicks. Two, they've got ZERO frontcourt. You don't win in the NBA without a frontcourt and you damn sure don't win when Luke Walton is starting. Three, they'll probably do away with the Triangle(Aka the only offense Kobe has really ever done). Four, how many bad knees are going to be getting relied on more now? Oh. And Mike Brown is the coach.

    Too funny.

    Interesting note: Yahoo Sports is reporting NBA owners have pushed commissioner David Stern to kill the deal sending Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers. The league owns the team. Owners don't believe deal should be allowed.

    Update: Deal has reportedly been killed.
    Wow just saw that after reading your post. All I have to say is ROTFL. So the NBA owners are going to sit on Paul until he becomes a free agent or they can find a better deal? I guess they are welcome to do that since they paid cash for that terrible franchise. Can't really blame them as the value of the Hornets drops tremendously if they lose Paul just like the Cavs did when they lost James. Got to wonder if the NBA doesn't hold him now until they sell the team or the season ends.

    Moral of the story is David Stern was a fucking moron for blocking the sale of the Hornets to Larry Ellison last year when he wanted to pay $350 million, $50 more than the NBA paid, and move the team to San Jose.

  4. #4
    I am Murloc! Thallidomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,830
    That Chris Paul deal aside, I do wonder if the Heat will actually step up and show up for all 4 quarters in games this time instead of just 3. While it seems like from all the talk that they will, I just have this feeling that this season will be the same-old same-old as last season.

    And this gives me hope for seeing a Mavs vs. Bulls Finals, although it's doubtful now.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2011-12-09 at 04:29 AM.

    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The Heat solidified their bench by adding Shane Battier. The Heat already has some tremendous defensive talent. Adding Battier to that mix is going to make them formidable.
    As a Laker fan, this really scares me, although it's likely that Changler isn't going to the Heat; that would have ridiculously bolstered them.

    The biggest domino of all is the soon to be completed trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers in a three team trade with the Rockets. New Orleans gets Odom from the Lakers Scola, Martin, and Dragic and a 1st from Houston. Houston gets Pau Gasol and some other pieces. LA receives Chris Paul and maybe other stuff. Most notably, the Lakers still retain Bynum who is expected to be the main piece in a deal to acquire Dwight Howard from the Magic. Lakers with a good point guard? Good luck other Western teams.
    I don't understand that deal, really. CP3 is an amazing player, but you'd be trading away Gasol AND Odom? With the possibility that he doesn't sign an extension? I still maintain that Howard is more valuable than CP3. I would trade Bynum for Howard (wasn't it a one-for-one trade at one point?) in a heartbeat. Kobe, CP3 and Howard? Sounds devastating, and imo (even if I wasn't a Laker fan), better than the Heat's big three.

  6. #6
    Once again Miami takes another backcourt player. Z and J. Howard will probably retire and that leaves Dampier and Bosh. I'm no analyst and I don't know what their financials look like but I think it would have been better for them to go after Nene or Thaddius Young. I guess that's the outcome of such a guard heavy league. A decade ago frontcourt won titles.

  7. #7
    Another heartbreaker for Laker fans: ESPN reporting Dwight Howard is preparing to ask for a trade.....To New Jersey.
    ...Angels have a great day, Lakers have an equally bad one. This is been one hell of a day in news.

    Just saw the proposed trade(As of now):

    Magic get:
    Brooke Lopez
    Two 1st round picks

    Nets get:
    Dwight Howard
    (They also mentioned Jersey taking Hedo and his inflated contract)
    Last edited by RollTide; 2011-12-09 at 06:08 AM.

  8. #8
    I do not think any chris paul trade can happen now, or people will be like "LOL TAINTED! THEY WERE DIRECTING WHERE HE WENT!"

    Kind of sad really, the NBA says they will let the "Gm" handle any duties about personell: then revoke his trade. They will keep Chris Paul there this entire season, forcing him to play where he does not want, then after a new owner gets it and his contract is up, how the fuck cares? let him resign anywhere!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    Another heartbreaker for Laker fans: ESPN reporting Dwight Howard is preparing to ask for a trade.....To New Jersey.
    ...Angels have a great day, Lakers have an equally bad one. This is been one hell of a day in news.
    That...really sucks, although I'm rather curious how the Lakers would do this season without any trades / moves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    They will keep Chris Paul there this entire season, forcing him to play where he does not want, then after a new owner gets it and his contract is up, how the fuck cares? let him resign anywhere!
    I agree, it's pretty silly to deny CP3, yet allow others (ie, LeBron) to do whatever they want. Yes, I get that free agency is different than a trade, but still. If you're against a monopoly of talent, how do you let something like that happen?

  10. #10
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I agree, it's pretty silly to deny CP3, yet allow others (ie, LeBron) to do whatever they want. Yes, I get that free agency is different than a trade, but still. If you're against a monopoly of talent, how do you let something like that happen?
    The NBA owns the Hornets. That is the only reason they were able to do this and not able to nix the other trades and signings recently. The NBA has to protect their value tied up in the Hornets. Essentially they are either going to have to get absolutely ridiculous value for Paul in a trade or they are going to have to find an owner before the end of the year when Paul will give them the double bird, tell Stern to go screw himself, and leave for any team he wants. The potential of finding an owner is freaking bleak at this point. Afaik, there has been exactly one interested owner in the Hornets, Ellison who wanted to move them to San Jose. They have had no ownership interest at all form local groups or people wanting to keep the Hornets in New Orleans. It just isn't a very good market. The team was pretty good last year despite being Paul and a terrible supporting cast but they were still bottom of the barrel in attendance.

    The whole Hornets situation is so similar to what the NHL has done with the Phoenix Coyotes it is hilarious. Both teams are failing franchises owned by the league. They keep pressing for local ownership despite there being next to no interest from an owner to keep the team in a bad market and the league commissioner continues to stop any potential sales that would relocate the team. The NHL has only lost about $50 million on the Yotes, not including the $50 million in losses Glendale has subsidized, and they still have no owner interested in owning a team in Phoenix without getting loss protection from the city and out clauses to move the team. Anny sports league owning a team is a joke.

    With the new CBA official, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Paul tries to get this deal taken to arbitration.

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-09 at 06:08 AM ----------

    If your the Magic, you have to jump at that Howard deal. Two firsts and a decent center in Lopez for a guy leaving for sure at the end of this year and you get to give away Hedo's terrible, terrible contract? Seems pretty great to me.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-12-09 at 11:09 AM.

  11. #11
    Moderator Skarsguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ravenloft usually
    Posts
    2,537
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    That...really sucks, although I'm rather curious how the Lakers would do this season without any trades / moves.



    I agree, it's pretty silly to deny CP3, yet allow others (ie, LeBron) to do whatever they want. Yes, I get that free agency is different than a trade, but still. If you're against a monopoly of talent, how do you let something like that happen?
    One of the things in the lockout was how small market teams couldn't keep bigger players and how big market teams rape other smaller market teams keep getting richer. I mean the Lakers got Gasol for nothing I mean they pretty much traded him for tic tacks and a few dollars. Its just funny that Lakers want there best player but wont trade there best player they even said we will trade everybody but Kobe.

  12. #12
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    One of the things in the lockout was how small market teams couldn't keep bigger players and how big market teams rape other smaller market teams keep getting richer. I mean the Lakers got Gasol for nothing I mean they pretty much traded him for tic tacks and a few dollars. Its just funny that Lakers want there best player but wont trade there best player they even said we will trade everybody but Kobe.
    The Hornets were getting a ton of stuff in this deal. They were getting four solid bench players or starters on a terrible team like New Orleans and a first round pick all for a player that has zero interest in playing for their team and will be leaving at season's end.

  13. #13
    I could understand if Paul got traded for a dollar but from everything I've read every team was going to get something out of the deal. Now, Paul gets to play for a year where he's not happy and walks at the end of the year. If he signs with the Lakers does Stern overrule that too? What a mess where nobody wins.

  14. #14
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Brandon Roy is apparently retiring. That is pretty crappy. Guy had a lot of talent but had his career severely hampered by knee injuries. Seems this time it is career ending. Got to feel for a guy like that who has his career ended by something he can't prevent.

    Reminds me that the Blazers have Oden one more year of free money to see if he can manage not to shatter again as soon as he touches the floor. My money is on Oden playing fewer than 20 games.

  15. #15
    Sucks about Roy.. when he was healthy, he was definitely a top-20 player in the league... In any case, the Raptors may even be worse than last year - I don't care much about basketball to begin with, but when your hometown team blows chunks, it becomes even harder to care.

  16. #16
    Dan Gilbert had a point about the CP3 deal. How exactly is it a good trade when one team gets the best player AND saves 40 million.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The NBA owns the Hornets. That is the only reason they were able to do this and not able to nix the other trades and signings recently. The NBA has to protect their value tied up in the Hornets. Essentially they are either going to have to get absolutely ridiculous value for Paul in a trade or they are going to have to find an owner before the end of the year when Paul will give them the double bird, tell Stern to go screw himself, and leave for any team he wants.
    But that's just the thing: he's going to be leaving next year, so...why are you denying the trade now, when he'll likely go to the Lakers / somewhere else "soon", anyway? If you owned the Hornets, would you rather have CP3 for one season, with all the chaos that brings, or would you rather have Odom, Scola, Martin, and a first round pick? I'd much rather trade him and get something for an amazing talent. Again, as I said in my post, I "get" why they denied it, but I just think it's a moot point to block something like this that will happen next year. Not to mention you're screwing the Hornets right now, since if they don't trade Paul, they're losing one of the top PGs for nothing. Perhaps my judgement is clouded by being a Laker's fan, but...this seems rather silly that the league is denying the Laker's trade, and nothing else. If they're denying the CP3 trade, they better deny every major trade. While they don't own every team, they have an interest in the well-being of the entire league, right...?

  18. #18
    Well its official, the lakers seasons over. How are pau and odom going to play well in a team that wanted to trade them? They just got fucked over badly. Bad trade or not, it should have happened. Its worse now for the lakers and i dont see this season going anywhere.

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-09 at 08:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    Dan Gilbert had a point about the CP3 deal. How exactly is it a good trade when one team gets the best player AND saves 40 million.
    Its not for other teams to care about that. You should be worrying about your own team. At the end hornets had the best bargain. They were getting Scola Martin and Odom. 3 good players for the price of 1 great player who wont sign with the team anyways after a year. You as an owner should care less about how the other team benefits and rather if you are improving your team or not. At the end hornets are not going to get anything. Lakers are going to not play well cause 2 of their main players are going to have ego issues with them being traded.

    Dan gilbert indirectly helped lebron this season LOL. Who would have thought. We all knew how stupid this guy is anyways.

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-09 at 08:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    I could understand if Paul got traded for a dollar but from everything I've read every team was going to get something out of the deal. Now, Paul gets to play for a year where he's not happy and walks at the end of the year. If he signs with the Lakers does Stern overrule that too? What a mess where nobody wins.
    He cant cause paul is going to be a free agent by then. Hornets is a league owned team so the decision comes from most of the owners/stern. Once hes a free agent, he can do wtv he feels like.

    Most probably he will sign with the knicks though. I doubt he will join the lakers with kobe being 1 more year older.

  19. #19
    The official statement from Stern:

    In a statement released Friday, Stern said the "final responsibility for significant management decisions lies with the commissioner's office in consultation with team chairman Jac Sperling. "All decisions are made on the basis of what is in the best interests of the Hornets," Stern said. "In the case of the trade proposal that was made to the Hornets for Chris Paul, we decided, free from the influence of other NBA owners, that the team was better served with Chris in a Hornets uniform than by the outcome of the terms of that trade."
    Can't wait until next year to see how the Hornets were "better served".
    Last edited by Skippy88; 2011-12-09 at 09:25 PM.

  20. #20
    Stern set up a horrible situation by vetoing that trade. One of the reasons it was not allowed was due to Chris Paul dictating where he wanted to go and the collective bargaining agreement was supposed to prevent that. Of course, there is already a situation like this with Dwight Howard and him going to tell the Magic he wants to be with the Nets. Stern would catch more grief for allowing that to happen, but not the Paul trade.
    I do not understand how the Hornets are better off with having Paul stay for another year and then having him leave at the end of the season, which he will, instead of allowing this deal.

    Also, the Nets are accused of tampering now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •