1. #1781
    Man, conscript, you are totally drinking the T-Wolves Kool Aid now. I guess I'd adopt a team if my actual team was the Pistons too, though.

    My overwhelming confidence going into this season for my Heat can only end badly. As long as we don't lose to the Celtics or Lakers, I'll have some relief. Even I think the 70 win talk is too much. They'll take half the season off like they did last year, we all know it. The only reason I don't see the Lakers doing the same is because Kobe is insane. I'd give them an outside shot at winning that many. Even with 100% effort every day, and getting lucky by avoiding major injuries, it's still almost impossible to win that many games in today's league.

  2. #1782
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    Man, conscript, you are totally drinking the T-Wolves Kool Aid now. I guess I'd adopt a team if my actual team was the Pistons too, though.

    My overwhelming confidence going into this season for my Heat can only end badly. As long as we don't lose to the Celtics or Lakers, I'll have some relief. Even I think the 70 win talk is too much. They'll take half the season off like they did last year, we all know it. The only reason I don't see the Lakers doing the same is because Kobe is insane. I'd give them an outside shot at winning that many. Even with 100% effort every day, and getting lucky by avoiding major injuries, it's still almost impossible to win that many games in today's league.
    Ya 70 talk is nuts. 65 talk is nuts frankly, especially for the Heat, a team with a history of just taking games off to rest. And ya, I am totally on board with the Wolves and to a slightly lesser extent the Warriors. I can't handle the horrible roster building of Joe D right now so I am totally going to bandwagon the horrible, fantasy team like roster building of David Kahn lol. Don't care that much if they make the playoffs. Don't care if they have no shot at winning the title (which the Wolves certainly don't lol). I am just sick of watching unfun basketball in Detroit and am now officially done with the team until Tayshaun is gone.

  3. #1783
    Legendary! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,674
    That wolf avatar. Why does that look familiar, hmmmm?

    Zzz looking for graphic artist, PM me for details on project.

  4. #1784
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    My overwhelming confidence going into this season for my Heat can only end badly. As long as we don't lose to the Celtics or Lakers, I'll have some relief.
    Our newest pick ups have shown some good signs though. Harrellson is looking like a pretty good backup center, but his lateral movement is pretty bad, especially having been used to Anthony's great defence against the pick and roll. Rashard is showing some life though he's playing like I kinda expected (8 ppg), and Ray is establishing himself as a more multidimensional player especially in lieu of his missing 3 point shot. Allen already has great chemistry with LBJ. Carney has been solid too.

    My biggest fear is how well small ball holds up for the season and into the playoffs in regards to player durability.

  5. #1785
    Quote Originally Posted by jreg View Post
    My biggest fear is how well small ball holds up for the season and into the playoffs in regards to player durability.
    Man, that's been in the back of my mind the last 2 years. The Heat are a D Wade injury away from being good enough to get one of the lowest draft picks, but not good enough to win the Finals, which would totally fuck up their plans for 8 rings. And with the way D Wade throws his body around, who knows if that'll happen or not?

  6. #1786
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    That wolf avatar. Why does that look familiar, hmmmm?
    Did I steal it from someone? If so, I'll totally switch to the throwback.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-24 at 11:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    Man, that's been in the back of my mind the last 2 years. The Heat are a D Wade injury away from being good enough to get one of the lowest draft picks, but not good enough to win the Finals, which would totally fuck up their plans for 8 rings. And with the way D Wade throws his body around, who knows if that'll happen or not?
    Wade is the big question mark for not only this year, but for the Heat's future over the next couple years. If Wade comes out this year and suffers through another series of knee issues that are only worsening over time, how quick do people start to consider him done? I already think there is a pretty decent chance LeBron leaves in a couple years, especially if they get another ring, and looks to become the guy in LA post-Kobe or in New York. At least it wouldn't surprise me if he did do that. A Wade injury or at least a waning Wade would certainly make me think that scenario would be more likely.

  7. #1787
    Legendary! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,674
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I already think there is a pretty decent chance LeBron leaves in a couple years, especially if they get another ring, and looks to become the guy in LA post-Kobe or in New York.
    :O Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James Big 3?

    I don't think Lebron would switch teams again lol.

    Zzz looking for graphic artist, PM me for details on project.

  8. #1788
    If Wade goes down for an extended period of time or gets hurt and comes back at noticably-less-than-100% then LeBron almost has to switch teams. He'd be wasting his prime playing with Bosh and a bunch of role players--it'd be like 2009-2010 Cleveland all over again. It was the right move for him to leave Cleveland in the first place and it would be the right move for him to leave Miami if they can't get it done.

    Then again if everyone stays healthy and they win at least one more ring these next 2 years there's no reason he would leave,

  9. #1789
    Depends on if he took all that "he can't do it by himself" talk personally. I think he walks if Miami's personnel fall apart, but it's always possible that he decides to prove everyone wrong. I'm not sure he'd go to LA anyway. If he wanted that, he would have gone to New York last time. I think he wants to build his own legacy somewhere, and not live in the shadows of all the other greats. You never know with LeBron, but you can always count on him to do exactly what he thinks will be best for himself. If he stays it won't be out of some kind of loyalty to Miami.

  10. #1790
    Legendary! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,674
    ..???

    Some thing on TV came up saying 2014 David stern steps down as commissioner in a NY press conference.

    Did I get punked?

    Zzz looking for graphic artist, PM me for details on project.

  11. #1791
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    :O Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James Big 3?

    I don't think Lebron would switch teams again lol.
    This is me laughing at your insinuation that LeBron would join the Knicks if Melo was still there. HA! No one wants to play with Melo in the NBA until Melo shows that Olympics Melo, the guy who can be just a pure scorer and doesn't constantly need the ball in his hands, can be the NBA Melo.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-25 at 02:15 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    ..???

    Some thing on TV came up saying 2014 David stern steps down as commissioner in a NY press conference.

    Did I get punked?
    Nope he is retiring at the end of his current contract and letting his protege Adam Silver take over. I believe at that point he will be the longest serving sports commissioner ever which is one of his goals.

    Then again, Bud Selig had said he will step down at the end of his last three contracts and instead has signed a new one each time that pays him A-Rod money to ruin baseball, so who knows if Stern will do the same and stay.

  12. #1792
    David Stern announces that he's stepping down.... in 2014. Awesome, but not soon enough if you ask me.

  13. #1793
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    For my money David Stern is the best commissioner in sports history. He took over a failing league and made it into an international powerhouse. Hes played a huge part in growing basketball into the 3rd or 4th biggest sport in the world (soccer, cricket ahead of it). He took over a league that couldn't even get its Finals games on live television and made it into the league that has defined how leagues should adapt to the booming technology era.

  14. #1794
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    For my money David Stern is the best commissioner in sports history. He took over a failing league and made it into an international powerhouse. Hes played a huge part in growing basketball into the 3rd or 4th biggest sport in the world (soccer, cricket ahead of it). He took over a league that couldn't even get its Finals games on live television and made it into the league that has defined how leagues should adapt to the booming technology era.
    I think his last 10 years or so will really color how a lot of people remember him though. The crap about dress codes and tattoos. The way he handled the lock out. His declining relationship with the players and the union. He's an interesting case. If he retires a few years ago he's likely remembered entirely differently. I think people forgot just how poor of a product basketball used to be. Now it's probably the number two sport in America behind the NFL.

  15. #1795
    Legendary! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,674
    James harden to Houston. WHYYYYYY I JUST PICKED HIM FOR MY FANTASY DRAFT TOO.

    Zzz looking for graphic artist, PM me for details on project.

  16. #1796
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    James harden to Houston. WHYYYYYY I JUST PICKED HIM FOR MY FANTASY DRAFT TOO.
    Rockets just made out like bandits here lololol.

  17. #1797
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    James harden to Houston. WHYYYYYY I JUST PICKED HIM FOR MY FANTASY DRAFT TOO.
    You should be celebrating this trade if you picked him. This means more minutes and a bigger role. Harden is immediately going to be the #1 option in Houston. I was shocked and I mean shocked to see this trade happen. I figured they would have until the 31st to get the contract done and then if they didn't they would then look at their options in a couple months at the deadline. Pulling this deal in the blink of an eye surprises me big time. I don't hate the deal for either team. Houston gets a top 20 NBA player. OKC adds another excellent shooter in Lamb plus a huge expiring contract in Martin, which I believe they can trade after 90 days.

  18. #1798
    Legendary! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,674
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    You should be celebrating this trade if you picked him. This means more minutes and a bigger role. Harden is immediately going to be the #1 option in Houston. I was shocked and I mean shocked to see this trade happen. I figured they would have until the 31st to get the contract done and then if they didn't they would then look at their options in a couple months at the deadline. Pulling this deal in the blink of an eye surprises me big time. I don't hate the deal for either team. Houston gets a top 20 NBA player. OKC adds another excellent shooter in Lamb plus a huge expiring contract in Martin, which I believe they can trade after 90 days.
    I guess you're right. Check my team:

    PG: Rondo
    SG: Harden
    G: Raymond Felton
    SF: Kevin Durant
    PF: Danny Granger
    F: Tim Duncan
    C: Gortat
    C: Greg Monroe
    Utility: Luis Scola
    Utility: Ray Allen
    Bench: Kirk Hinrich, Glen Davis, Antawn Jamison

    Pretty stacked right? I mean my centers are meh but it's what had to happen for the rest of the team. (Bynum and Dwight were taken..)

    I'd suggest an MMO-C fantasy basketball thing but I doubt we could even get six people to show up for the draft.

    Zzz looking for graphic artist, PM me for details on project.

  19. #1799
    The football league is pretty quiet. I'd play though,

  20. #1800
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    ]I'd suggest an MMO-C fantasy basketball thing but I doubt we could even get six people to show up for the draft.
    See the new sticky. Hopefully we can get enough people signed up to do it relatively quickly and not miss much of the regular season. I meant to start it weeks ago and completely forgot.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-29 at 08:55 PM ----------

    Just finished my first draft. Rounds in parentheses. Qualifying positions I'm not typing out since they each have 2-3, just listing their main spot:
    PG: Mike Conley (3), Steve Nash (4), Derrick Rose (8)
    SG: Bradley Beal (9), Brandon Roy (11), JJ Reddick (12)
    SF: Danillo Gallinari (5), Thad Young (7)
    PF: Kevin Love (1, 9th overall), Glen Davis (10), Derrick Williams (13, will get decent minutes until Love is back in a month)
    C: Boogie Cousins (2), Zach Randolph (6)

    I am gambling pretty heavily on Brad Beal looking as good as he did in preseason and summer league and Brandon Roy putting up decent stats (his per 36 in the preseason were great) because my SG depth is super mediocre.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-10-30 at 12:57 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •