A question for the MMO-Champion community.

Long time listener, first time caller. Over the past 6 years I never felt the urge to post a reply to many of the forum posts I've read here at MMO- Champion, I tend to just keep my opinion to myself. However there comes a time in all our lives where we have one burning question we would like some insight to. It’s taken me close to two years to feel it was time for me to ask this and I suppose my reason for asking such is purely for a raised sense of curiosity. These forums are focused on MMO video games with the highlight being World of Warcraft. Do people who have this much aggressive passion about a video game(s) share the same aggressive passion for issues in their real life? Do people take the same initiative with addressing their point of view with issues in their real life? Be it at their job, community, local or Federal Government. Just looking for some insight as to if this is just a safe haven because it’s the internets, or if these actions carry into real life scenarios.

Thank you in advance for any form of reply.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak for others, but I know for a fact that *I* tend to be more diplomatic when phrasing my opinions verbally. That, and actual people can punch me in the face.

I'm not exactly a classic "internet tough guy", it is just that in real life my actions and percieved personality have an effect that is visible to me.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Yes and no. Everyone is passionate about something (unless you are on meds that stop you).

I know quite a few people who scream and yell playing Call of Duty that are the calmest and most docile people outside of that game.

I think a lot of what you are seeing, especially the trolls or extremely angry people can be explained by penny arcade here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually more docile on video games and forums I feel. In real life, if you mess with me or a friend, I'll gladly hurt you, while online if you do it, I'll just either shrug it off or counter-troll you. -shrug-, just me.

I'm aggressively passionate about my fiscally conservative ideals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I'm aggressively passionate about my fiscally conservative ideals.
    Love to see a fiscal conservative that has a chance at winning POTUS. /sigh.

Fiscal Conservative and Socially Liberal. LETS DO THIS THING.

Deleted
    I tend to be the opposite to most people. In forums, I think about what I say and tend to write something calm and collected.

In real life, I can't. My mouth has a mind of it's own, I make a lot of sarcastic comments

Yes, I'm quite the aggressor for all issues, ranging from internet politics to napkin dispensers at the local In N Out. Some people would say I'm the reincarnation of William Wallace himself.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Meh. I'm better at arguing in writing than in speech, so I naturally do it more and with greater vigor.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post

Amen brother. I think we're a dying breed though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post

You, sir, are a truly rare breed.

Deleted
    It's rhetoric, always more rhetoric...