Gear question. Looking for your constructive criticism.

So.... Ret Pally. Throwsbigrok on Gnomeregan.

I just broke my four piece Tier 12 set (all 378 pieces), with my new Tier 13 (397) chest piece. As I was looking at some other gear, I also upgraded my neck and relic from the 397 valor vendor. I Also began to do some thinking. Since my four piece was broken, why not try to pick up something useful, so I decided to try to pick up the two piece 390 pvp set bonus for the 70 strength, plus I'll get the 5% for my crusader strike. So now i'll have two piece pvp set bonus for 70 strength and two piece tier 12 bonus. Here is my question...the difference in a straight pve gear set up and the two pieces of pvp gear is about 300 more attack power (with the pvp pieces) but about 1% less crit, and my mastery goes from about 20.10 rating to about 18.85 (just a little over one full rating)...the ultimate question here is whether or not 300 AP from the extra strength of the higher ilevel items outweighs the loss of crit and mastery which are a paladins best stats after strength. I raided in the 2 piece pvp set up, but we only raided the warmaster in DS. Since that's a fight where there is so much switching in phase 1 It was hard to tell if it was an increase over my previous set up. I was the top dps, but that still doesn't mean it's the best set up. I can't be the first to think of this, so if there are others who have tried this, let me know...obviously as soon as I can I'll being going for four set of tier 13, this is just a "squeeze more dps option"

thanks for your time and efforts in considering this. my guild is currently 5/8 in DS...the Warmaster should go down sunday...we had him to 20% but ran out of time. I apologize if I was to lengthy or posted this in the wrong spot.

the other piece of pvp gear i picked up was the helm because it was the only way to keep both two set bonuses...the helm is terribad cause it's bonus is resil, but i still tried it out.

Forget about that. Go do the LFR and pick up whatever tier piece you can. 2pc 384 T13 + 2pc 378 T12 outweighs 4pc 391 T12. Yes, it is that good.

The 300 attack power isn't worth it.

Sacrificing that much crit and Hand of Light damage will effectively make your hits smaller; while they technically hit slightly harder, you will gain a lot less Hand of Light damage per hit. A full point of mastery is a huge loss when it's our best secondary stat, and a whole percent of crit to boot... not worth it imo.

If anything, go for the PvP gloves. They CS damage bonus works a lot better with our current mechanics than some extra AP at the cost of mastery and crit (especially considering you're still using 2-piece T12 with it).

You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.

ok guys...thanks...i've been actually meaning to do the LFR, but i have been very busy lately so it's only been raid nights really...may have some more time this weekend and i'll give it a whirl. thanks for your info.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    ok guys...thanks...i've been actually meaning to do the LFR, but i have been very busy lately so it's only been raid nights really...may have some more time this weekend and i'll give it a whirl. thanks for your info.
    Don't sweat it. If the group is anywhere close to competent, the first 4 bosses take about 40-50 minutes to kill, and the last 4 bosses take about an hour. It's fairly easy to one-shot all of them if the group doesn't have downs syndrome.

yea...i'd heard it wasn't tough, just getting the time to do it...hehe.