Cooling system for a Laptop

My fiance's laptop has always run pretty hot when playing games but it hasn't been a huge deal in the past. However, when we were doing the swtor beta his computer started to over heat after about 2 hours of play and would shut itself off. This is a problem because, well we intend to play for longer than 2 hours at a time.

Now he has a cheap laptop cooling fan thing that you are supposed to set your laptop on top of and it is supposed to keep it cool. It doesn't work at all though. However, he figured out that if he put an ice pack between the fan thing and the computer that kept everything really cool and he could play longer. However, this is a bit clunky not to mention that (at least to me) putting ice packs on a computer seems like a horribly flawed idea.

So I would like to get him a new fan/cooling system to help keep his laptop from over heating but there are so many out there and I am not sure what would work well. I was hoping some of you might be able to recommend some that you have either used or know people who have used and liked.

Thanks

As far as laptop cooling there isn't really much you can do other than a cooling pad without getting into really wacky stuff.

Best option would most likely be open it up and clean it out good with compressed air if you haven't done that in a while.

It's probably safe to say he has never done that ><