Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I highly doubt it. Kids aren't going to rebel by listening to music their parents like.
    This is so true. And I was never a huge fan of grunge even when it was... current. I'm really in no position to talk anyway, though. I'm so wrapped up in listening to my old favorites that I don't even know what made a comeback this year.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Also because hipsters are dirty and wear flannel, and also have a bad taste in music.
    I guess I am a dirty hipster who wears flannel because I listen to indie music, yet I am not so musically ignorant that I refuse to listen to other genres. No, I am just musically ignorant to all this mainstream pop bullshit that the industry keeps pumping out left and right. I swear to god if I was forced to listen to all that auto tuning garbage I'd go out and shoot every single record company executive along with all their overproduced pop stars. I'd rather listen to country music then listen to some douche pretend to rap about shit that never happened, or some skank blather on about the boys that dumped them or how they think they are attractive just because they are whores.

I highly doubt it. Kids aren't going to rebel by listening to music their parents like.
    If they did, I'd call them all posers. I was listening to the music my parents grew up listening to when I was 12 years old, so almost 14 years ago. But I listen to a lot of music, if you saw my Last.fm page you'd see that I am probably one of the most musically diverse members of this forum. Pop music is for those who lack any sufficient IQ to be considered borderline retarded.

Edit: And Radiohead are far from grunge, not even close. Their music isn't aggressive at all, they play silly froo froo music.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Edit: And Radiohead are far from grunge, not even close. Their music isn't aggressive at all, they play silly froo froo music.
    Don't be hatin' yo, The Bends and OK Computer are some of the best albums ever written. And your comment about popular Hip-Hop reminded me of my favorite Hip-Hop song of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8xfWqCmc4

But yes, now that 2012 is in full swing it's pretty clear that the Grunge prediction isn't going to come true. So far there's been more Swag-Hip-Hop, some strong indie-rock/indie-folk releases (Sharon van Etton in particular dropped a gorgeous and dark LP), some strong Electronic albums (Burial's latest EP is --Incredible-- ) and a decent share of Metal. I'm excited for this year, particularly because it has some huge shoes to fill with 2011's fantastic releases.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not see kids now ever picking it up. Look at the crap they listen to. It is either mainstream MTV/BET crap or some extreme form of another type of music.

Grunge never died. It lives on with the children of the 90's.

If anything, we are starting to see it reemerge in the form of "new" classic rock. Just like Roseanne and Married with Children are on Nick-at-night now instead of All in the Family and Happy Days, the radio and common music outlets are shifting generational focuses.

I know I still play STP, AiC, etc when I go to the bars. If I play what I listen to now everyone else bitches, so we all agree on 90's alt rock.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    Not true. Post-punk revival is an example of that. I listen to it while my dad listened to punk rock and post punk. Im a 19 year old and listen grunge punk and indie rock

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slambulance76 View Post
    Radiohead and Foo Fighters are NOT grunge!!
    QFFT - you know what the extra F is for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I'm actually predicting next year to be huge in folk. With Little Lion Man(Okay, they're called Mumford and Sons but that song is the only thing people know about them anyways) having massive mainstream success, Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes also seeing some decent mainstream attention as well, I see this trend going places.

I'm not going to speculate much on bad music that's inevitably going to be popular, but fully expect the horrible style of LMFAO to be more prominent.
    I do hope folk has a good year as an indie-folk artist myself. Mumford and Sons are growing in popularity every day, and their appearance at The Secret Policeman's Ball last friday will have given them even more exposure in the US where i feel Folk is really going to take off.

But I listen to a lot of music, if you saw my Last.fm page you'd see that I am probably one of the most musically diverse members of this forum. Pop music is for those who lack any sufficient IQ to be considered borderline retarded.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say pop music is for borderline retards. There are varying styles of pop music each with their own appeals. Only a small minority of pop artists produce "Engineered noise" as i like to call it.

Dubstep needs to die out though imo, Dial up modems and a million fire engines chasing ten million fire engines through a warzone is painful to listen to.

As I wish this could be true, it's far from making a comeback. Kids these days are obsessed with electronic music. What cracks me up is they consider these dj's musicians while ragging on people who actually write music with instruments as opposed to doing so on a computer. On another note, how I would've loved to see STP in their prime back then.
    every dream I have wants me to stay

Deleted
    If Radiohead are grunge I'm sat here with Kylie and she's invited her sister, Dannii over for a 3some
    Yep thats about as believable as the Radiohead comment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Radiohead is Touring

Soundgarden is coming to Australia next year

I dig Alice in Chains & so do lots of other people

Foo Fighters sold out an Australian Football stadium in Sydney this week
    & Dave Grohl is a Champion.

World Economy is going abit sour next year & no one wants to listen to Lyrics about
    how many gold Chains I can put round my neck..

Or how many Mercs' & pussy I am getting

Bling will be a turnoff

GRUNGE WAHOO..GO SEATTLE
    It's a quaint thought, but I think Grunge has already been assimilated and absorbed into a lot of other rock scenes. I don't think it will exist as a whole again.

---------- Post added 2012-04-08 at 10:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by slambulance76 View Post
    If Radiohead are grunge I'm sat here with Kylie and she's invited her sister, Dannii over for a 3some
    Yep thats about as believable as the Radiohead comment
    They had a few Nirvana-esque influences early on, but even their earliest work had more in common with say...shoegaze than grunge. If its presence was ever there, it was only a tiny piece of the pie.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-04-08 at 10:54 PM.