My specs are:
    P7P55D E-PRO mobo
    120gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
    1tb Samsung Spinpoint HDD
    i5-760 2.8ghz stock OC at 4ghz using a Noctua NH-D14 Cooler
    4gb of 2 2gb sticks of 1600mhz G.Skill Ripjaw ram
    650 watt XFX power supply
    GIGABYTE GTX 460 1gb stock

I plan to upgrade my GTX 460 to a GTX 570(Preferably the Twin Frozr III Model). However, I only having a 650w power supply, running two drives, and overclocking my cpu makes me worried if the increased power consumption of the GTX 570 will take it over the edge.

Should I be worried about this? If so what should I upgrade my PSU too? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Pdiamond

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    Hello all,

I plan to upgrade my GTX 460 to a GTX 570(Preferably the Twin Frozr III Model). However, I only having a 650w power supply, running two drives, and overclocking my cpu makes me worried if the increased power consumption of the GTX 570 will take it over the edge.

Should I be worried about this? If so what should I upgrade my PSU too? Any recommendations?

Edit: Here bookmark a reliable Power Calculator for future reference. http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Google power supply calculator if you want to ensure its a clean link. It should be the first result. Good luck mate!

Thanks,

Pdiamond
    you have an extra 200-250 Watts free on your PSU even after upgrading to a GTX 570. AKA you are absolutely fine and have nothing to worry about. To give you an idea of numbers most people that use two GTX 570's for SLI use a 750 or 850 Watt PSU

Quote Originally Posted by yupholladay View Post
    you have an extra 200-250 Watts free on your PSU even after upgrading to a GTX 570. AKA you are absolutely fine and have nothing to worry about. To give you an idea of numbers most people that use two GTX 570's for SLI use a 750 or 850 Watt PSU
    Absolutely correct. You won't require anything more than what you have at the moment.

Deleted
    650w is perfectly fine when running a single 570.

Overclock to your heart's content.

If you do a rough calculation:
    CPU: 100 W (max 115 for most intel cpus these days)
    GPU: 200-300W (This is most likely a gross exageration)
    HDD & SSD: 20-50 W each (again exageration)
    Mboard: doubt more than say 50 W (Remember that your CPU is the biggest drain of power from your Mboard cable and the remaining parts are not even remotely close to as power-consuming)

From this alone you see that you have at least 100 W to spare so i very much doubt you will have any problems. You have to remember that gtx460 was used with a larger nm technology which makes it draw more power than a similar GPU with the gtx500-series would. I won't really look into the specs atm so I can't tell for sure, but again i very much doubt you will have a problem with it.

Personally i have a 750W PSU due to having the ability to run a SLI/crossfire setup, but in general 600 W should be more than enough.

Thanks for the fast and helpful replies everyone.

I guess I got worried over nothing.

Thanks a lot,

Pdiamond

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Un0 View Post
    You have to remember that gtx460 was used with a larger nm technology which makes it draw more power than a similar GPU with the gtx500-series would. I won't really look into the specs atm so I can't tell for sure, but again i very much doubt you will have a problem with it.
    400 series and 500 series use the same architecture and are both manufactured on 40 nm. Some refinements were made to improve energy efficiency and there were more shader clusters unlocked in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    400 series and 500 series use the same architecture and are both manufactured on 40 nm. Some refinements were made to improve energy efficiency and there were more shader clusters unlocked in general.
    Precisely. And the energy efficiency improvements were what enabled them to unlock them in the first place.
    Thus why the GTX 500-series are what the 400-series should have been. Only the 560 Ti and lower show actual improvements, the rest is just unlocking the gated off shaders they had to disable late in development because they couldn't get the thermal dissipation in control.

Deleted
    Instead of going for a 570 this 560ti (448 core version) is cheaper and nearly just as good