Thread: Prot Questions

10+ Year Old Account

Question Prot Questions

Hi there.
    I'm having some issues reaching the CTC cap on my prot paladin which annoys me.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...orrak/advanced

That's my paladin and I'm about 2% short of the CTC cap.
    With Resolve of the Undying on 10 stacks (which it is at like 99% of a boss fight) and BoK up I'm sitting at:
    16.72%/2411 Dodge
    17.19%/2529 Parry
    62.01% Dodge/3108 Mastery
    171.2k HP without food/flask/stam buff.

This adds up to a total of 100.92% avoidance according to the CTC macro: /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5))

I also have T13 397 legs and Soulshifter Vortex in my bag but with both of them equipped I loose over 600 mastery (before reforging the legs) and the T12 4-set which just doesn't seem worth it, at least not until I get the T13 2-set.

As you can see I'm also not having any professions due to this being a fairly new alt, been playing on it since mid-FL (almost 10 days played as I write this).

So my question is, what can I do to get closer to the CTC cap and overall improve my stats without using epic gems? Which professions should I go for etc?

Thanks //Borrak
    Last edited by 4liv3; 2011-12-10 at 10:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Says your character doesn't have any primary professions. A good choice would be jc and blacksmithing for better gems and 2 extra gem sockets.

---------- Post added 2011-12-10 at 10:33 AM ----------

Also, your dodge and parry should always be close as possible to reduce dimishing returns. Also, I've seen some tanks use the eternal shadowspirit diamond (81 stam + 1% block value. Just a suggestion. And link to a few paladin tanks I know that pretty good http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r/Riran/simple and http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r/Deanr/simple

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I don't have any professions, that's why I asked which ones I should go for :P
    And for the parry/dodge part, with my trinket at 10 stacks, which it is at all the time during combat, there is a 0.1% difference between the two so I think I have balanced that fairly good

Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting are the current BiS professions for a tankadin, though I imagine the benefit of JC is diminished somewhat now that epic gems are becoming more readily available and Chimera's Eyes aren't being buffed.

Otherwise; your reforging and enchanting are all correct; only real suggestion I can make is to use a +Mastery and +Spell Resist elixir combo to smooth out the invariably fluctuation in your CTC during the transition between gearing tiers. Personally I dislike the itemisation of T13 Protection gear, but what can you do, right?

Don't forget to factor in the Strength/Agility buff (Horn of winter, battle shout, etc.) this adds ~.5-1% avoidance.

Also, in terms of block capping (hitting the 102.4%) you might have to make some "funky" reforges (because of how op mastery is compared to parry/dodge in terms of points per % of avoidance). Some suggestions to reaching that cap are as follows;

1. Your helm; reforge parry to mastery (you will get more total towards cap by doing this from the large amount of mastery you will get).
    2. Shoulders; Test to see if this is true, but you will most likely get more towards block cap by Dodge=> mastery.