So the pros and cons for a melee class for pvp/pve

So I've been playing ranged classes for a long time now but I want to experience a melee class that can handle themselves in pve/pvp whether it be 1 vs 1 pr 1 vs many. I have experienced some melee from playing a few arena matches with my friend's DK and Warrior. I've enjoyed both but due to my limited experience I didn't feel like I had enough control. I want to practice and be decent at some kind of melee class that I want to make my main so I am trying to decide in between a dk, warrior and rogue for both pve and pvp. I want something that is strong in the hands of a good player so I was just wanting the opinions of everyone who has experience with random BGs, arenas and pve. Pros and cons if you have the time, thank you in advance for the advice!

anything is good on the hands of a good player

Well I know after playing a shadow priest for awhile. I've had my shares of ups and downs. But I am looking for something that for something that can be helpful in just about any situation as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that DKs are in the best position right now as a melee class since they're so hard to CC and they just smash casters (pretty much all you see at higher ratings). If you like smashing face, go with a DK. If you like being annoying as hell and sneaky, go with a rogue.

Thank you for the advice, I also heard most unholy/frost dks are squishy against decent rogues. What's your take on that situation, I can see how rogues can be annoying and dangerous with dismantle and evasions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take a Rogue. Has the most options and is still overall the most valuable, powerful melee in the game. Extremely hard to pin down, extremely hard to kill once you finally pin them down, and they do excellent damage for being hard to pin down and kill.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Take a Rogue. Has the most options and is still overall the most valuable, powerful melee in the game. Extremely hard to pin down, extremely hard to kill once you finally pin them down, and they do excellent damage for being hard to pin down and kill.

So as a rogue, how do they hold up against let's say a warrior or a dk? I know going up against a prot warrior and blood dks take a bit of skill especially dealing with vengeance stacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Coming from a rogue, I'd say go rogue, sub pref. Its not that hard of a spec to pick up, just a bit difficult to master ( I have been playing as a Rogue for about 4 years, sub for about 2, and I still don't think I have mastered the spec). However it is still extremely fun, and there are many of reasons, but I will just name about 3. You pick your own fights about 90% of the time, the amount of control you have is redonculous, and mobility is luvable. I highly reccomend it.

Grammar Skillz

Quote Originally Posted by Warlight View Post
    Coming from a rogue, I'd say go rogue, sub pref. Its not that hard of a spec to pick up, just a bit difficult to master ( I have been playing as a Rogue for about 4 years, sub for about 2, and I still don't think I have mastered the spec). However it is still extremely fun, and there are many of reasons, but I will just name about 3. You pick your own fights about 90% of the time, the amount of control you have is redonculous, and mobility is luvable. I highly reccomend it.

Grammar Skillz
    So sub spec, if I wanted to do axes/swords hemo spec or should I go daggers? Someone said that daggers was the best?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofwerx View Post
    So as a rogue, how do they hold up against let's say a warrior or a dk? I know going up against a prot warrior and blood dks take a bit of skill especially dealing with vengeance stacks.
    Never engage them in a straight fight. Jump in, pound them while they're stunned/disarmed/throwing their keyboard out a window, and then LOS them around a pillar to restealth and do it again once DR timers have reset. You will lose a straight fight against a tank. Kite, kite, kite. Even if you can't restealth, just LOS them in circles around a pillar and let Recuperate do its thing. Never, ever try to fight a Blood DK straight up, especially not after their Death Strike buff. You will lose, and lose badly. You might be able to beat a Protection Warrior straight up if all his cooldowns are down and you're luckier than he is with avoidance RNG.

You can dispel Vengeance with Shiv. You will need a dagger for this. You should use daggers anyway, though.

Basically, your MO as Sub against any non-squishy target is to zip in, pound them while Find Weakness is up and they're stunned/disarmed, and then get the fuck out of there once Find Weakness/CC is over, restealth, and repeat the process until they're dead.

It's overpowered and ridiculously frustrating to fight against, and ridiculously fun to do. You can almost hear their screams of nerdrage from here.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Never engage them in a straight fight. Jump in, pound them while they're stunned/disarmed/throwing their keyboard out a window, and then LOS them around a pillar to restealth and do it again once DR timers have reset. You will lose a straight fight against a tank. Kite, kite, kite. Even if you can't restealth, just LOS them in circles around a pillar and let Recuperate do its thing. Never, ever try to fight a Blood DK straight up, especially not after their Death Strike buff. You will lose, and lose badly. You might be able to beat a Protection Warrior straight up if all his cooldowns are down and you're luckier than he is with avoidance RNG.

You can dispel Vengeance with Shiv. You will need a dagger for this. You should use daggers anyway, though.

Basically, your MO as Sub against any non-squishy target is to zip in, pound them while Find Weakness is up and they're stunned/disarmed, and then get the fuck out of there once Find Weakness/CC is over, restealth, and repeat the process until they're dead.

It's overpowered and ridiculously frustrating to fight against, and ridiculously fun to do. You can almost hear their screams of nerdrage from here.
    I will give a rogue a try then and practice as much as I can. Thanks for the advice!

Especially if you play a melee you better have a razor naga so you can move around smoothly in and out of your opponent when killing them.

That's the hardest thing in melee in my opinion, good movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Especially if you play a melee you better have a razor naga so you can move around smoothly in and out of your opponent when killing them.

That's the hardest thing in melee in my opinion, good movement.
    I agree totally, I already picked up one for myself. It helped my gameplay with my shadow priest immensely! Of course I am sure with a rogue I won't have so many keybinds and what not.

You're gonna have a lot of key binds with a rogue and a lot of focus macros, not to mention you're gonna have to be able to move away from your kill target to the healer every so often to quickly focus kick or blind or garrote or whatever and then rush back to kill target.

Rogues probably have highest or second highest skill cap of all classes, but it's very worth it if you can master it.

Shadow priests can only go so far until your monster DPS is worthless when you have a warrior or dk on your ass and you can't cast.

Movement is very important for a melee. Sticking to your target while smashing the hell out of your globals is not as easy as most people think it is. Also when playing a melee class, it's harder to see what's happening in the arena because you have to focus on moving and constantly hitting your target at the same time. A healer and a range dps get more time to watch the game while casting, or just by standing so much further back. With melee you are also focusing less on cc and more on dealing hard damage than with ranged (excluding rogue and feral to some extinct). And with melee you will learn that frost mage is the devil with ugly robes, no matter which class you meet them with (1v1).

As a suggestion i'd say sub rogue, feral druid or a unholy dk. From a warrior and ret you won't find much control or skillcap. (i play a ret)
    Last edited by Johnmatrix; 2011-12-12 at 01:30 PM.

My suggestion would be Sub rogue's, probably one of the most fun classes and hands down most powerful melee classes pvp/pve. Practice the hell out of smoke bomb timing and shadowdancing and you'll become one of the best assault classes in wsg and tp. Fighting against tanks isn't as bad as most people say (pally's in my opinion being the most annoying), you just have to learn how to fight them, specifically blood dk's as they self heal for crazy amounts. I think the two most annoying targets you'll face a geared/skilled frost mages and holy pally's.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play rogue and love it personally.

I use sword MH / dagger OH and a hemo spam spec. It's a personal preference.
    The damage is a little lower, the burst is lower but the combo point generation is alot higher and it doesn't require you to find the back of your target as much.

As a rogue you have the most powerful tool at your command that not many, if any, classes have. You can pick your own fights, and you can engineer the terms of said fight to what you want partly.
    RETH