Deleted

Theories, discussion and minor spoilers aka Cain's Bald Spot

So I figured with the release of the full length intro cinematic, that there would be some theories and perhaps some moderate discussion what it implies and simply I wanted to create a topic where you could do it.

There are however most probably people who have yet to view it, so therefore the minor spoilers (because come on, watch it damn you) tag in the title. The aka is mostly that I mused on the thought that people would probably think that you could tell the release date by counting the freckles(?) on Cains very bald and shiny head.

But enough of that and on to what I have gathered from the trailer so far:

We are shit out of luck. Goodnight.

No but seriously, the trailer hints at a massive battle between light and dark but I think that they will do battle on Sanctuary rather than in heaven or hell. Why? Because either side would probably be empowered by their respective home and therefore they would need a neutral ground to fight on, which means that we get the stinky end of the stick.

Moving on in the trailer, I did find something that is very interesting with the meteor / comet (?) and it's a shape or something similar that lies in it (think World Invasion: Battle LA style) and descends into Hell. Which I also find interesting because I thought very early on "Why the fuck would a minion or even Diablo descend from the heavens?!" This led me to thinking that it's either Tyrael or Inarius / minor angel who has no name and it's a full on first attack on Hell.

But why THAT Cathedral? Ok, here I have two theories:

First - It's where it all started, only fitting that it should end ( or continue) from the place it all began, or perhaps there is something particularly special about that place that makes it an important and strategic point of attack.

Second - This is building on from the strategic / important PoA, because you can clearly see the meteor / comet splitting off in in at least one other direction which could be another PoA.

These are just my thoughts after a careful scanning of the cinematic, will post what I find later on but don't limit it to just the intro cinematic, discuss EVERYTHING about Diablo 3 that you might find or have a theory on.

I'm guessing it was aimed straight at cain because he might find out a way to stop whatever evil is going on.

Anyone saw Imperius? He is even more badass than Tyrael.

Quote Originally Posted by SebbeT View Post
    No but seriously, the trailer hints at a massive battle between light and dark but I think that they will do battle on Sanctuary rather than in heaven or hell. Why? Because either side would probably be empowered by their respective home and therefore they would need a neutral ground to fight on, which means that we get the stinky end of the stick.

Moving on in the trailer, I did find something that is very interesting with the meteor / comet (?) and it's a shape or something similar that lies in it (think World Invasion: Battle LA style) and descends into Hell. Which I also find interesting because I thought very early on "Why the fuck would a minion or even Diablo descend from the heavens?!" This led me to thinking that it's either Tyrael or Inarius / minor angel who has no name and it's a full on first attack on Hell.
    Why would demons fall from the sky? Diablo universe cosmology doesn't have angels in the sky and demons underground. It has a universe teeming with angels and demons, each with their own planets and domains. You're confusing "heaven" with "the heavens."
    Being empowered by home turf didn't do Diablo much good in the last installment. The two sides have gone back and forth on each other's territories and especially around the old worldstone for ages. Fighting on Sanctuary is due to the significance of sanctuary itself.

We know there will be fighting on sanctuary. If you want to know everywhere that we fight in the game, the datamined info is pretty interesting. Not everyone likes that level of spoilery though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    Why would demons fall from the sky? Diablo universe cosmology doesn't have angels in the sky and demons underground. It has a universe teeming with angels and demons, each with their own planets and domains. You're confusing "heaven" with "the heavens."
    Being empowered by home turf didn't do Diablo much good in the last installment. The two sides have gone back and forth on each other's territories and especially around the old worldstone for ages. Fighting on Sanctuary is due to the significance of sanctuary itself.

We know there will be fighting on sanctuary. If you want to know everywhere that we fight in the game, the datamined info is pretty interesting. Not everyone likes that level of spoilery though.
    Well, I might be confusing it a bit but I always got the notion that it was like that with the hell minions being below and angels in heaven.

Fighting on his hometurf might not have given Diablo that special spice but come on, it wasn't like he was killed by an unnamed NPC. He was killed by a hero with a capital badassery going on.

Cain seems to be translating some old texts and they say: "Justice shall fall upon the world of men."
    Well Tyrael is the angel of justice afaik.

I'm sure Tyrael is the one they are referring to when 'Justice shall fall upon the world of men." My theory? That Tyrael was the only one that was standing against a full out battle taking place between Heaven and Hell on Sanctuary, and that Imperious cast him down from the High Heavens to face destruction along with the very mortals he has been protecting against the Angris Councils will all along. With him out of the way, the High Heavens, under the leadership of Imperius, invade Sanctuary to cleanse it and keep the Burning Hells from using the Nephalem to their own ends.

Im pretty sure its the black soulstone falling from the sky. This would explain why Leah has it in her possession during the azmodan trailer

Deleted
    Regarding the black soulstone, I never quite got the hang of what it really implies... I mean, the other soulstones were to keep the brothers in check, but why is there a new one all of the sudden?

You mean they thought the soulstones were there to keep the brothers in check when they really being played by the brothers? While the prime evils had the angels working on soulstones for them, maybe the black one was something they or the actual rulers of hell were working on. Or maybe its a fragment of the worldstone itself left corrupted and dark.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Soulstone

Possible Parallels:

Parallel One: Worldstone = heart of Anu. Meteor = heart of Tephamet? My theory is that Diablo is the most dominant of Tephamet's separated personalities and is looking to re-unify itself...not as Tephamet, necessarily, but as a new super-powerful singular Prime Evil of Terror.

Parallel Two: I think Zoltun Kulle may be responsible for the creation of the Black Soulstone via corruption, which Diablo may have known about from the beginning. It has 3 shards to it and Diablo has "her" dominant head and a head on each shoulder, which could easily be the two other prime evils. Regardless, Zoltun Kulle found a way to cheat death, so I'm fairly certain that Diablo/the Prime Evils used that knowledge to learn how to cheat death as well while bound to mortals through the soulstones. The black soulstone may augment or even combine power rather than act as a binding agent.

Parallel Three: If you look at the colors in Leah's outfit, they so obviously match the color scheme for every incarnation of Diablo including La Femme Diablo as seen in leaked artwork. The writers/art directors did it on purpose. Whether it was done to draw a parallel to Diablo or as the biggest red herring on planet Sanctuary for that "Gotcha/Tricked YA!" moment is ytbd.
    Last edited by Raizuda; 2011-12-14 at 04:10 AM.