Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

z68 overclocking problems/gigabyte board.

i have a question concerning voltages on my computer, which is a z68 chipset gigabyte Z68x-UD3H-B3 to be exact, with a intel i5-2500k.

when i initially started overclocking, i reached 4.4 ghz easily without touching the vcore, while disabling the required features. clocking higher produced unstability in prime95, which i started bumping up the vcore like what i read from guides, but still proved unstable. i noticed in HWMonitor that my CPU Vcore was still saying 1.06 even when it was under 100% load on all cores. after reading a bit last night, i set my Vcore to "normal" and adjusted the QPI/Vtt Voltage to 1.205 and HWMonitor and cpuid now says my vcore is 1.21.

after clocking at that 1.21 it still was unstable, but im not sure if i should bump it up because this isnt what was stated in the several guides i followed to overclock.

any ideas? or anyone familiar with the gigabyte bios that knows more about this problem? i was starting to wonder if its a faulty mobo maybe.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

I run the p8p67-m board with i5-2500k. I'm currently at 4.4 ghz by just letting the software that it came with do all the clocking for me. It also put my 1600 ram at 1653 or something like that. While I'm not sure about voltages specifically, I'd recommend just letting the software do it and also take into account that some i5's can overclock better or worse than others.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    I run the p8p67-m board with i5-2500k. I'm currently at 4.4 ghz by just letting the software that it came with do all the clocking for me. It also put my 1600 ram at 1653 or something like that. While I'm not sure about voltages specifically, I'd recommend just letting the software do it and also take into account that some i5's can overclock better or worse than others.
    im more interested in learning about overclocking then having software do it for me, but i was thinking getting to 4.4ghz at 1.06V is a pretty darn good sign for the potential of the chip..thanks for the input, everything is appreciated

after reading something, i am considering reverting to the award bios f9 that came on the CD, i loaded the most current f10 bios, but read of a couple OC issues with it, and it is worth a try i think.
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2011-12-11 at 01:43 PM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Naga

Yea definitely. And I don't know how old yours is, but I think there were some problems pre revision 3.0 with those boards

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    that has fixed it woot now to get to the real stuff
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Naga