Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Should I get this game or not?

I have seen quite a bit of Star Wars the Old Republic gameplay, and I must say it looks quite nice. There's one problem though, I'm looking forward to MoP, and I even got the Annual Pass. I was convinced that I'd not be bored with WoW and that D3 and MoP beta will keep me busy. But, with SW TOR coming out, and 4.3 only being cool for a week ( In my opinion), I just feel like quitting. I'm usually bored of WoW now, feels like a slap in the face. I don't want to hate on WoW, I've had lots of fun playing it. And I'd rather see both of the games be strong. But, WoW feels overplayed now. Should I say goodbye to the Annual Pass ( I mean, it's not like Blizzard will come knocking on your door or anything) and play SW TOR? Or continue playing WoW and maybe try it later when I payed the 12 months. ( Not gonna pay for 2 MMO's at the same time.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terralon View Post
    I have seen quite a bit of Star Wars the Old Republic gameplay, and I must say it looks quite nice. There's one problem though, I'm looking forward to MoP, and I even got the Annual Pass. I was convinced that I'd not be bored with WoW and that D3 and MoP beta will keep me busy. But, with SW TOR coming out, and 4.3 only being cool for a week ( In my opinion), I just feel like quitting. I'm usually bored of WoW now, feels like a slap in the face. I don't want to hate on WoW, I've had lots of fun playing it. And I'd rather see both of the games be strong. But, WoW feels overplayed now. Should I say goodbye to the Annual Pass ( I mean, it's not like Blizzard will come knocking on your door or anything) and play SW TOR? Or continue playing WoW and maybe try it later when I payed the 12 months. ( Not gonna pay for 2 MMO's at the same time.)
    I think you answered your own question right there.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

If you think SW:TOR looks good then try it, don't let your fun and spare time be ruled by a clever marketing plot like the annual pass. I haven't tested the annual pass or anything, but do you lose it by playing another game? I thought the annual pass was just to sign up for 12 months subscription? It's not like your annual pass gets withdrawn if you play TOR? Also, don't you have to pay more for Diablo 3 with the annual pass than you do if you had bought it individually? Or is my understanding wrong?

You basically are forced with the annual pass to pay for a game over 12 months (€12.99 EUR * 12 = 155.88 EUR) to get a free mount in game, keep playing until MOP at a slightly cheaper rate (a few %) and a new game that would ost you maybe 20-40 EUR depending on where you live. The funny thing is that they bring out this marketing plan after having had an expansion where the content has gone from a fairly awesome launch to getting more and more shit for each patch. That's normally a bad time to go for a annual pass when there is 6 months to the next content at least.

The annual pass, unfortunately, is a contract to make people stay. It's clever, but you shouldn't let your experience in gaming be ruled by such plots. Especially if you are bored of it. I don't know if you can get your money back though.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2011-12-11 at 08:09 PM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Deleted
    Yeah, but that means I'd have to pay monthly for 2 games at the same time. And if you miss out on paying WoW for a month, or even a few minutes after your payment expires, you'd get your Annual Pass remove, so no chance on MoP Beta or D3.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you feel you are not having fun playing wow, test something else out that might be fun.

So if you think SWTOR might be fun, buy it and test it to se if it is fun for you. That is all I can say.

Yeah, but that means I'd have to pay monthly for 2 games at the same time. And if you miss out on paying WoW for a month, or even a few minutes after your payment expires, you'd get your Annual Pass remove, so no chance on MoP Beta or D3.
    if your not realy poor or have money problems, is 30$ a huge deal realy?
    Last edited by Daniboy; 2011-12-11 at 08:03 PM.

If you have annual pass, you are paying for 12 months, so if you play TOR, you are paying for 2 games.

They will not remove your annual pass. It would be very bad for you if you don't pay, that's a breach of contract, wouldn't go there.

Your credit card you used to sign up will be billed anyway. Unless you manage to get billing department to remove it from your account, but D3 the mount and MoP beta acces will be removed aswell. Not to mention your account will never be able to participate in any events like these in teh future

Quote Originally Posted by TehZmann44 View Post
    They will not remove your annual pass. It would be very bad for you if you don't pay, that's a breach of contract, wouldn't go there.
    They've removed passes before.
    Yub Yub

Deleted
    If you want to cancel your 12 months sub why not just report you CC lost to your bank, get a new one with a different number etc, Blizzard can't take any more money from your account.

Quote Originally Posted by ash1ey View Post
    If you want to cancel your 12 months sub why not just report you CC lost to your bank, get a new one with a different number etc, Blizzard can't take any more money from your account.
    That would be a very bad idea. Blizzard will get their money, whether you pay them or its a debt collector at your door. Guess you didn't know what you were signing when you signed up for annual pass, a CONTRACT with blizzard.

A contract that try to force people into addiction by luring them into it with an additional game and a pixel mount. It does not hold water if it can not be cancelled. It's clever, but it is a fraud to keep players to the game, no more than that. In my eyes it is despicable if it can not be terminated.

---------- Post added 2011-12-11 at 09:13 PM ----------

That would be a very bad idea. Blizzard will get their money, whether you pay them or its a debt collector at your door. Guess you didn't know what you were signing when you signed up for annual pass, a CONTRACT with blizzard.
    Seeing as they can easily remove the pixelated mount and have not given him a copy of Diablo 3 yet they have no right to demand his money by law? The contract does in fact count for both ends and if Blizzard have designed a contract with no escape that is very questionable when their motives for doing so is to keep players during a time of little to no content in their mmo.

@OP My final advice is to always think these offers through twice. The annual pass never looked appealing to me personally, but that is because I would never sign up for a game over extended periods of time if I was not certain I would reek a profit from it in terms of gameplay. Or as I should have said to any of my friends thinking about it: "IT'S A TRAP!"

Ranting aside: If it is possible and to your benefit, contact costumer support and see if you can cancel the annual pass after you have tested TOR out somehow. You don't have to buy it at launch, maybe a friend of yours has the game and ask him if you can try it out for a day? Bring some cookies or beer if you are an adult and have a gaming day? It was pretty common to play like that when I was a kid. It was also how we found out if a game was worth buying when we didn't have youtube.

Edit x 2: If you get into the beta of MoP you will most likely be burned out by the content at that expansion's launch easier than otherwise too, just for the record. We humans tend to go: want now!! But then we forget how to profit from things in the long term. So signing up for a contract for WoW well into MoP and also going through the beta is a little unfortunate actually.

But it is a choice that has been made. So you might miss out on TOR I guess. If you want to save money and don't want to cancel it in order to get a beta.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2011-12-11 at 08:28 PM.

Deleted
    I use Gamecards to pay for WoW, and there's currently nothing on my bankaccount so they cannot bill anything.

( So, I'll just put my money back on it when the Annual Pass is canceled perhaps. )

Seeing as they can easily remove the pixelated mount and have not given him a copy of Diablo 3 yet they have no right to demand his money by law?[/QUOTE]

They can unfortunately, all because he agreed to pay blizzard in a contract.

---------- Post added 2011-12-11 at 10:18 PM ----------

I use Gamecards to pay for WoW, and there's currently nothing on my bankaccount so they cannot bill anything.

( So, I'll just put my money back on it when the Annual Pass is canceled perhaps. )
    I thought you needed to put your credit card information in to accept the Annual Pass? Do you not have it then?

Uhm... no.

99% sure that if you cancel the pass all they do is take away the pony and extra benefits.

They aren't going to turn into "I WANT MY FUCKING MONEY"-Stewie from family guy...

To OP: I'd say try it. After playing Sw:TOR beta I thought, "Well.. guess I might as well resub to WOW to entertain myself till TOR's out."

Bad idea. I can't even run a whole HoT 5 Man or LFR without quitting halfway through the queue/instance.
    Just not as fun to me. (Again, TO ME. Not everyone. TO ME.)
    Last edited by Bellomourn; 2011-12-11 at 08:21 PM.

Legally binding agreement is binding. If you buy a cell phone contract for 24 months see what happens when you try to give them back the phone. The Annual Pass is no different and Blizzard would have every right in passing your account to a debt collector should you stop honoring the contract. That said only a complete lemon would buy a 12 month mmo contract.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    To all ppl who aren't sure to play this game or not. The tip I give them is rather simple. Just wait at least one month after the lauch when the free month is gone and the players will need to pay their first subscription. At that moment you will be able to see if the game is successful or not. You will have more info like vids, screenshot, guides and other stuff too. Be patient, it's not a race.

Edit: I don't understand why blizzard didn't give the one year subscription option instead of this contract. I mean you pay around 145$ for a one year subscription and you get diablo 3 plus a flying pony. Once someone pay this they can't go back since it's already paid. Maybe it's because not everyone can pay 145$ one shot.
    Last edited by Apany; 2011-12-11 at 08:35 PM.

If you are not stoked about SWTOR you will probably not enjoy it. And since you got an annual pass you should probably chill a bit with SWTOR. Every game is always quite rough in the beginning. Just see how many people whined on the BF3 beta and early live before updates, hell many things are still not fixed. And MMO's are even worse in that regard. Some may just generally suck, some may be complete WoW ripoffs, some may be really great until end game then suck.
    SWTOR will most likely be very good compared to the other previous competitors. However I think every MMO is similar. I've grown tired of them. I've played WoW for 5 years now and it's just dull. I've tried 4 different MMOs that was promising and they just suck even more. They bring nothing new to the table, and if they do WoW has patched in something better before people even realize it.

I probably am really biased. But I am not stoked about the game and doesn't see it bringing anything new to the table. It's just another MMO done by another great company. I don't see why BioWare would do a MMO better than Blizzard both of them are great companies. One of them are famous for the worlds most successful game, the other is not.

But my honest opinion is that you should enjoy WoW for a little while longer. try out the new expansion and the first raid in it. After that you should research, or well up until then and especially after, SWTOR and how popular it has become and if it seems like a really good game or just another MMO that falls into darkness.
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ealar/advanced

Raid Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pappahealar

Guild Website: http://www.excesse-guild.net/ (Dismissed and seized raiding early 2011, March.)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonia View Post
    Legally binding agreement is binding. If you buy a cell phone contract for 24 months see what happens when you try to give them back the phone. The Annual Pass is no different and Blizzard would have every right in passing your account to a debt collector should you stop honoring the contract. That said only a complete lemon would buy a 12 month mmo contract.
    Making things legally binding without a cancel option is seen as a fraud when it comes to offers that are based on additional perks (some of which has not been given yet, read: Diablo 3). Hence they probably have the option to cancel it, and they can easily remove pixel rewards and a beta sign up for something that has yet to start.

Any other claim would make them look bad, so I doubt this is the case.

Note: It seems as the OP will be capable of cancelling the sign-up by what he is saying at least. It only comes down to how much he values WoW up against the freedom to try another gamem in this case TOR. You will have to value the content you would get in WoW until MoP beta and the content of MoP itself, which is hard to actually do since you never know until MoP launch. A lot of things that was meant to be in Cata got cancelled out quick. Basically, I am trying to say here that if he is already bored of the current new content in WoW and the game then he should cancel it out and try TOR if he thinks it looks nice. Why? Because the annual pass is a contract based on empty air for now, imo. I love the times I had in WoW too, but I think the OP needs to think how much content he can get out of WoW vs. TOR and about how much a beta pass means to him. Naturally he would save a small portion of money on Diablo 3, but still.