Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning

Class Advice Requested, didn't play Beta.

So, I jumped on the SW:ToR boat rather late. I've always been a huge SW nerd, but up until a few weeks ago I was convinced that WoW was where I wanted to be playing. Without getting into significant details, thats no longer the case.

I've been perusing the forums here, and obsesively pouring over darthhater, but actual concrete play time is leaps and bounds better than me reading talents.

Basically I'd love some input from the community on the class for me.

Some background: I've always played Feral Kitty. Even when it was silly. I was never the best in the world, but parsed on nearly every fight (which is as much a testament to my other DPS's skil as my own). I always kind of avoided alts, until eventually I rolled a Combat Rogue. I'm a versatile player, and have used all 4 (Feral Tank, Feral DD, Resto, Moonkin) druid specs at endgame since T9. I'm adaptable, but my first love is definitely Feral Kitty.

With that being said, in your opinion, what class will I find that plays most like a Feral Cat/Combat Rogue? I'd love y'alls input and advise. Obviously I'm ok with the hybrid idea, but my first love is melee dps. I stipulate Kitty/Combat, because I'm really not a stealth lover, though do appreciate the versatility it bring. My focus is primarily PvE, but I do enjoy dabbling in PvP from time to time. What class do you suggest for the most similiar playstyle? If its none of them, thats fine, tell me that too. As I have no in-game experience, I'd really appreciate some input, so I don't make it to my AC, and find out I hate the playstyle.

Thanks in advance for all the help and comments.

PSTSCRPT: If you happen to need a dedicated melee/versatile guy for your team, feel free to let me know, either on here or via PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Test bump to see if mod approve worked.

Deleted
    inquisitor assassin/consular shadow

Depending on which faction you want to go, I'd say Jedi Sentinel/Sith Marauder or Scoundrel Smuggler/Operative Agent. Sentinel dual-wields lightsabers and is kind of similar to fury warrior or combat rogue, while Soundrel/Operative feel more like assassin/sub rogue in a lot of ways.

I played to lvl50 as a healer spec'd Operative, and it actually felt quite similar to playing my assassin rogue in combat, but with heals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the closest thing I can think of is Jedi Consular Shadow/Sith Inquisitor Assassin. You'll get the stealth/burst dps, and you'll have Force resource equivalent to Energy, but instead of watching Combo Points you'll be watching for talent procs from your main attacks. The difference is you'll see a few attacks that aren't quite "melee" (10 yard range, caster effects, like Project). Otherwise, I think you'll like it. Plus, if you get bored of DPS you can always tank, in fact I found it easier to level that way after I got my second companion.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Well, I don't know. The class that I've played that is somewhat similar would be a jedi shadow specializing in the balance tree. You get stealth, have a directional attack - though you should only use it on procs - and a lot of your damage comes from DoTs. However, you don't move anywhere near as fast as a feral druid does, you don't have a leaping attack for a closer (you do, however have a sprint) and your stealth is comparatively much weaker than anything you've experienced in WoW. If you go with shadow you choose between being a tank or a melee dps.

You're not going to encounter a class as flexible as druid or paladin in SWTOR. The way the game is designed is that by the time you hit 20 you have the capacity to occupy 2 of 3 major roles: Tank, DPS, or Healer. There isn't a class that can be a healer, DPS, or Tank simply by reinvesting talents.

Both Consular Shadows and Smuggler Scoundrels can stealth and are melee based. However, Smuggler Scoundrels also have the ability to heal within their AC, something the Shadow does not. Shadows are able to tank, however. Both playstyles appeared to be very similar, at least for the first 12-15 levels I got to with both classes.

Since you say you aren't a stealth fan, I'd suggest SW Marauder or the Jedi equivalent, your one stealth is quick and is really just used as an aggro dump, complex(at times)dps rotation, pure melee, situational based self or group buffs(Fury abilities).

They start off kind of slow but at about level 20 they really come into their own and excel at max level in both PvE and PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, if you want pure melee with stealth and "energy" sith inquisitor assassin and jedi consular shadow are your best bets. They also have a decent amount of procs to work off of. You will also be able to tank in this tree. The resource system is basically enery. You get 100, it regens at a constant rate.

Imperial agents(and smugglers) also have stealth, and they have trees that include stealth and a melee ranged tree as well as a 10m ranged tree. That tree also offers healing in one of its trees. (the other AC is all ranged combat, mostly at 30m). This class's energy resource is similair to energy, but it regens slower the less of it you have. So at 70 energy it regens at 5 energy/s, while at 50 it would do 3 energy/sec.

Lastly, if you want a melee class without stealth, you can go sith warrior/jedi knight. Each have a pure melee dps AC that dual weilds, as well as a dps/tank AC that uses 1 1h. Their resource is similar to rage, you build it with basic attacks, drain it with powerful ones.
    Einstien trolled Newton so hard with general relativity

There are two Melee stealthy classes with a class resource similar to WoW Energy.

Sith Assassin (Deception tree) / Jedi Shadow (Infiltration tree) Class resource is Force, max of 100 with a constant regen // This class also has a Tank spec and a second DPS spec that relies more on a mix of force/melee dps than straight melee

Imperial Agent Operative (Concealment) / Smuggler Scoundrel (Scrapper) Class resource is energy, max of 100 with variable regen (faster the more energy you have). Also, this class has a system that is similar to combo points. This is called Tactical Advantage/Upper Hand. Certain abilities generate it(stacks to a max of 2) and others use it(only 1 at a time) // This class also has a Healing spec and a second DPS spec that I don't know very well

10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
    I appreciate the feed back. To clarify, the playstyle I'm going after is more akin to fast hitting/combo point based, rather than stealth based. The Shadow/Assassin has definitely piqued my interest, along with the Knight/Marauder (who dual wield I take it? Kinda like a Combat Rogue/Fury Warrior mix?).

Regardless, feel free to keep it coming; As I said, I'll be starting off as a SWTOR virgin, and want to seem like I might have at least an inkling of what I'm doing.

Deleted
    Taugrim has made some pretty good pvp vids, where you can see some playstyles for both jedi shadow and a gunslinger smuggler (gunslinger is ranged though). Check the shadow one out and see if perhaps that is the gameplay you would like: still can't post links but you can see it at gamebreakertv or on youtube

Hope you find the right class!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am keeping an eye on this as i think i am going sentinel, and want to see if someone says something interesting about their playstyle. I don't think it will be easy for you to find something that is like feral druid. As a part of feral druid is being fast, and shapeshifting alot(from a pvp point of view). I am thinking sentinel, but i don't know too much about the class. Other than that they have some attacks i recognize from warrior, and they have a rage mechanic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate the feed back. To clarify, the playstyle I'm going after is more akin to fast hitting/combo point based, rather than stealth based. The Shadow/Assassin has definitely piqued my interest, along with the Knight/Marauder (who dual wield I take it? Kinda like a Combat Rogue/Fury Warrior mix?).

Regardless, feel free to keep it coming; As I said, I'll be starting off as a SWTOR virgin, and want to seem like I might have at least an inkling of what I'm doing.
    Yes, maruader do dual wield (they are also pure melee dps). I'd call them more fury warrior then rogue though. You arent going to get fast hitting and combo points though. Closest thing to combo points is the imperial agent, though they dont seem fast hitting to me (correct me if im wrong, only played them to 5 in beta). While the maurauder and even more so the assassin (at least in my opinion) are fast hitters, but dont have combo points to work off of.

Mind you, you could look at the maurauders resource system as entirely combo points based if you want. So you would be playing a energy free rogue kind of. Its tough to compare to wow because, well, it isnt wow. So none of these analogies will be great.
    Einstien trolled Newton so hard with general relativity

Quote Originally Posted by mypally View Post
    Yes, maruader do dual wield (they are also pure melee dps). I'd call them more fury warrior then rogue though. Y
    If you want to compare Maras to WoW classes you have to do it specwise to be fair. I'd say a Carnage Mara is more akin to a fury warrior, very bursty, while a Annihilation Mara feels more like a rogue/kitty druid to me with it's bleeds and slows and Rage Maras I liken to Enh shammies.

Im much like you and love melee dps, and don't really like any kind of stealth, but will always go with it when I feel so. But for you, being a former feral kitty, it could all be dependant on whether you like being behind your target and stabbing it violently, or being that dot/bleed effects being put on the target. For a more "behind target" class, I would suggest going sith assassin/jedi shadow.

Now if your kinda torn up on which to go with those two choices, sith assassin has much to do with lightning, and using lightning to surround their double-sided lightsaber, and putting a dot on them, or dealing a small amount of damage. For a jedi shadow, its much more abount kinetic damage, and more of a...lighter side of lightning. I have not seen as much of jedi shadow than sith assassin, but saying that, they are mirror classes and it all comes down whether you perfer. There is also the imperial agent operative, who likes to stab people in the back, using also a stealth effect and having to be behind the target. The mirror class of that would be the smuggler scoundrel.

If your more into the dots/bleed effects, then the sith warrior marauder, specifaclly the annihilation tree within the marauder AC would best suit you. Mind you they do have a stealth at higher levels, but it is not permanent and is only for sneaking up on targets, as well as they dual wield lightsabers. The mirror class is the jedi knight sentinel, and the tree with the more dot based dps would be the watchmen.

P.S. Sorry for my awful spelling, i'm just not to much of a good speller -_-

Quote Originally Posted by DestroDoc View Post

sith warrior: maurder. the rage system plays a bit like WoW warrior/rogue, also you duel wield

this is your best bet imo

Quote Originally Posted by Samfroman View Post
    Im much like you and love melee dps, and don't really like any kind of stealth, but will always go with it when I feel so. But for you, being a former feral kitty, it could all be dependant on whether you like being behind your target and stabbing it violently, or being that dot/bleed effects being put on the target. For a more "behind target" class, I would suggest going sith assassin/jedi shadow.

Now if your kinda torn up on which to go with those two choices, sith assassin has much to do with lightning, and using lightning to surround their double-sided lightsaber, and putting a dot on them, or dealing a small amount of damage. For a jedi shadow, its much more abount kinetic damage, and more of a...lighter side of lightning. I have not seen as much of jedi shadow than sith assassin, but saying that, they are mirror classes and it all comes down whether you perfer. There is also the imperial agent operative, who likes to stab people in the back, using also a stealth effect and having to be behind the target. The mirror class of that would be the smuggler scoundrel.

If your more into the dots/bleed effects, then the sith warrior marauder, specifaclly the annihilation tree within the marauder AC would best suit you. Mind you they do have a stealth at higher levels, but it is not permanent and is only for sneaking up on targets, as well as they dual wield lightsabers. The mirror class is the jedi knight sentinel, and the tree with the more dot based dps would be the watchmen.

P.S. Sorry for my awful spelling, i'm just not to much of a good speller -_-
    The Mara stealth is less effective for sneaking up on people because it doesn't last long, it's best use is that of an aggro dump, if you jack aggro from the tank in flashpoints/operations or want to dump it onto your companion in PvE, then you pop it.

Quote Originally Posted by DestroDoc View Post

There is no class in the game that uses combo points so that one is a bit of a no-match.

"Fast hits" is also something deceptive in TOR. There is no autoattack so its not like where a Rogue would be 1.blah speed weapons. That doesn't exist in TOR. Instead, when a class "attacks fast," it means that a single ability activation causes multiple small successive strikes rather than one big hammering blow. Shadows/Assassins and Sentinels/Marauders (using the sustained DPS trees) fit this description.

Right, I forget thats what it could used for as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
    The Mara stealth is less effective for sneaking up on people because it doesn't last long, it's best use is that of an aggro dump, if you jack aggro from the tank in flashpoints/operations or want to dump it onto your companion in PvE, then you pop it.