Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is the 'Too colorful' argument still valid?

I thought that back when there were only a few screenshots and the original gameplay was released back in 2008. But since then, we have seen many screenshots featuring very dark locations, still making use of multiple color schemes and such. Yes, they are using more colors then on D2, but that is because we can actually use more in the creation of games now than when D2 came out.

I guess my only suggestion for it would to add sharper lines to define terrain better, such as on cobblestones that make up roads etc. I can definitely see where more darkness would be appropriate in some of the screenshots, but overall, it seems pretty dark. Several screenshots I have seen also include torture rooms, blood splattered on stairs and walls, and corpses strung up, missing body parts. Diablo always needs a healthy amount of that.

What do you all think? Is the argument still valid? Why or why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvt Huson View Post
    I want to make an 80ft golden dong and get terrorised by fisher price shoggoths
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

if you dont like how bright the new diablo is there's always filter mods. Someone had already made one that was working and made the game a bit darker. There's a youtube vid of it somewhere.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiveron View Post
    if you dont like how bright the new diablo is there's always filter mods. Someone had already made one that was working and made the game a bit darker. There's a youtube vid of it somewhere.
    Yeah, I have seen the video, I think it is something I will check out. As I've mentioned, my only suggestion would be sharper lines to define stuff better, but overall, it is not bad.
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

The too colorful argument is a stupid argument. Simple.

Play the game and you'll see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    The too colorful argument is a stupid argument. Simple.

Play the game and you'll see it.
    Yeah, that's more or less what I was saying. From the screenshots, it seems pretty dark.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my time in the beta, the only thing that seems a bit too colourful is the spell effects in a party of 4. The environment is perfectly fine imo.

OMG I totally forgot about the whole "too much colour" uprising! That was years ago...good times
    I remember there was an online petition with like thousands of signatures sent to blizz to change the colour lol
    Honestly I didnt even think about it in the beta, the game is fine

Quote Originally Posted by trunkrollah View Post
    OMG I totally forgot about the whole "too much colour" uprising! That was years ago...good times
    I remember there was an online petition with like thousands of signatures sent to blizz to change the colour lol
    Honestly I didnt even think about it in the beta, the game is fine
    Yeah, from what I've seen, it is pretty dark, and the extra colors helps give many places more definition. The art petition was after it was announced, but before all the gameplay and screenshots came out that featured dark gritty dungeons with torture tables, bodies missing parts, strung from chains and impaled on spikes etc, and blood splattered on stairs and walls.

Deleted
    I stil laugh with sadness when I hear someone mention this. Because everytime now someone mentions it, they say ' darker colors' etc.

IT WAS NEVER ABOUT the COLOR.

It was about the lack of grit, the lack of horror themes, dread, realistic feel to everything. Not about color on your screen.
    Those 50 000 on petiton wanted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBNFmQYKzo4

Realistic graphics, metal armor that has glints, blood and gore and textures that actually make you feel a bit uneasy, they all add to the atmosphere.

They wanted it to feel 'raw', not stylized like it is, basically the video above, but with blizz quality and design.
    Last edited by mmocc8f1b2d8ff; 2011-12-15 at 09:47 AM.

Diablo II was not all dark and gloomy.

If it is too bright, turn down your gamma settings.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Deleted
    See, there, I write about it, and a guy comes along and does just that. /facepalm

If I could live in act 2 of D2, i so would...as long as it had internet connection to play D3. man i love Lut gholein.

Quote Originally Posted by Goranhir The Furious View Post
    I stil laugh with sadness when I hear someone mention this. Because everytime now someone mentions it, they say ' darker colors' etc.

It was about the lack of grit, the lack of horror themes, dread, realistic feel to everything. Not about color on your screen.

Realistic graphics, metal armor that has glints, blood and gore and textures that actually make you feel a bit uneasy, they all add to the atmosphere.

They wanted it to feel 'raw', not stylized like it is, basically the video above, but with blizz quality and design.
    and Diablo 3 doesn't have enough of that?

Spines flying around, demons being shredded to pieces, corspes exploding...

What the hell you want more?

I already see from the comments on the first page that PoE will have wonderfull community.

Yeah, dark gritty stuff like D2 had...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSlGQpvl_IA

I will always, ALWAYS prefer stylized, 'cartoon' graphics over the browns of modern day 'realism'. Sodding COD and Battlefield games. Hurry up and become unpopular again so we can get something else in that isn't just BROOOOOOOWWWWWWWNNNNN.

Deleted
    I will always, ALWAYS prefer stylized, 'cartoon' graphics over the browns of modern day 'realism'
    I share your opinion. Never understood why this brown on brown aesthetic got so popular.
    Realistic graphics actually break immersion for me because no matter how good the textures I know they aren't real. Also, for feelings of unease and atmosphere I believe audio provides more to this than visuals could possibly achieve. Just my opinion.

Realistic graphics actually break immersion for me because no matter how good the textures I know they aren't real. Also, for feelings of unease and atmosphere I believe audio provides more to this than visuals could possibly achieve. Just my opinion.
    Not to mention that supposed "realistic" graphics make everything look like their made of polished silver. Everything has exact, defined and super crisp lines and lighting. NOTHING in this world is like that all the time and that's why Blizzard does a great job with the look of their games; everything has a glow, not a refined reflection of light, textures are not as sharp, and similar colours blend great.

Deleted
    It was always about the color. I still remember you guys screaming. Hell, you're still doing it! Even then it was nonsense, D2 has brighter colors than I've seen of D3 so far. Maybe for you it was not about the colors, but all angry threads and the petition? Yep, colors. "Need more brown!" "Needs more grainy filters". According to the crying D3 needed a whole lot of things D2 never was. Noone said they lacked blood and textures.

I'm not sure what you think is gore and gritty? I saw corpses being hurled on a fire 1 minute into the beta. What videos have you been watching?

D3's graphic give much better atromosphere than D2 if you ask me.