Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Mental Illness like pdd-nos / asperger's syndrom (serious thread)

I was just wondering how many people on this forum got a mental illness like pdd-nos / asperger's syndrome or other ones
    i ame making the thread because i ame in a emotional hard time (it's so hard for me to understand emotions)

i got my self asperger's syndrome
    It's nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice
    PM me to be added to whitelist

MLP Fan Fics with my OC as main character: Re-earning Your Cutie Mark

It's not limited to this forum. The internet in general is a far better place to communicate for people with Asperger's or similar ailments.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    It's not limited to this forum. The internet in general is a far better place to communicate for people with Asperger's or similar ailments.
    Or just those that are "socially awkward" or whatever that term is.

Skelington has no diagnosed ailments. People tell him a lot of times he might have asperger's because of how he acts, but it's never been diagnosed and he doesn't really care whether he does. Not like it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Or just those that are "socially awkward" or whatever that term is.

Skelington has no diagnosed ailments. People tell him a lot of times he might have asperger's because of how he acts, but it's never been diagnosed and he doesn't really care whether he does. Not like it matters.
    Well if it were Asperger's then you'd probably know. Being socially uncomfortable doesn't even begin to explain how treacherous Asperger's can be for some people.

15+ Year Old Account
    i'm diagnosed with pdd-nos, but i'd certainly not call it an illness, more like a diffrence. the diagnose is just a lable, that my brain functions diffrenty to what we consider 'normal' people. in most cases, it means that some things come more natural for me that other people have to learn (in most cases math/physics) and other things i have to learn completly, like social interactions, which for many 'normal' people comes natural.

it also means that my memory works diffrently. Imagine you would forget the names of people you know for years at the moment you say hi to them, and can't remmeber it till they leave. but it also works like connecting dots, connecting things with others just by small similarities that most people completly oversee. like the many similarities of german/english/dutch/scandinavian languages.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

Deleted
    I've been labelled with borderline personality disorder and psychotic depression by the psychiatry. Been through a lot of different medicine, abused some of them to the point of addiction(Xanor & Valium), been involuntarily commited a few times.

Been on something called "aktivitetsersättning" since I finished school because I can't really work, it's something you get if you're deemed to sick to work.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any mental illness. I consider myself very lucky. I don't have any problem besides an under-bite.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been diagnosed with more things than I care to get into. Sometimes it feels like I take so much medication I could open a pharmacy.
    I guess the hardest part has been accepting who I am and work with what I am good at rather than feeling despair about the things I can't do. Another positive thing is some of the people I've gotten much closer to than I would have had I been normal.

Something that is very different from person to person is how they handle who they tell about their condition(s). The way I personally handle it is that I don't tell people (in real life. online I don't care) initially because I want/need them to form an unprejudiced opinion of me. There is so much prejudice revolving around any sort of psychological condition that it sometimes makes me physically sick.

I don't think I could be in a relationship with someone "normal", I need another level of understanding that I don't feel someone can have unless they've been through or currently go through it themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dislike crowds and people i don't know, and am generally a reclusive sort, work, then home alone rinse and repeat, not spoken to my best friend in over a month, nothing diagnosed, i just prefer my own company and talking online instead of to actual people

Deleted
    Aspergers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    Something that is very different from person to person is how they handle who they tell about their condition(s). The way I personally handle it is that I don't tell people (in real life. online I don't care) initially because I want/need them to form an unprejudiced opinion of me. There is so much prejudice revolving around any sort of psychological condition that it sometimes makes me physically sick.
    140% agreed, if people can't see your physically sick/diffrent they tend to either treat you like your 3y old or just start to avoid you completly, because they can't cope with it or just don't undestand. It's as if you would change the minute you tell then your autistic, and wasn't different before that, lol.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    140% agreed, if people can't see your physically sick/diffrent they tend to either treat you like your 3y old or just start to avoid you completly, because they can't cope with it or just don't undestand. It's as if you would change the minute you tell then your autistic, and wasn't different before that, lol.
    Well I think a lot of that is the unfortunate matter of a lot of people self-diagnosing because it's to their benefit. It's sickening, but I don't see that going away until we get better doctors rather than drug-pushers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Well I think a lot of that is the unfortunate matter of a lot of people self-diagnosing because it's to their benefit. It's sickening, but I don't see that going away until we get better doctors rather than drug-pushers.
    Just a shame that you can't treat some of it with medication. To get diagnosed you usually need both a doctor and a psychologist, after being tested, and that means asking parents as well, how you were when you were so young you couldn't remember.

Yes, self-diagnosing is BS, but the diagnoses (the proper ones) usually ain't made for any kind of fun. It's not even an illness in that sense, it's your brain that's wired differently, sometimes to a crippling degree.

People around here don't understand people like me that has one of these diagnoses, I'm just really weird, and needs to be patronized like a child.

It's degrading. Usually we don't have low intelligence, it's more often then not opposite. It's becoming more known, so you occasionally run into people that doesn't mind that you're a bit different in the way you think and process things, but usually it's just something you should treat, make it go away, because you're not normal, and if you're not normal, I don't like you.
    Last edited by mmoc19ad86984a; 2011-12-12 at 02:53 AM.

just enough asperger's to get me socially awkward and having a few personality quirks. Could be worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Those two sound pretty good compared to the one I had. I was diagnosed with psychosis two years ago, but it's hopefully over now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bipolar type 2, and (alleged) aspergers. I don't believe the asspie diagnosis, just a bit of antisocial behavior.

Classified as severely disturbed in my personality, paranoid & schizotypal personality disorder.

Have had my fair share of trouble with the law due to being too confrontational. I'm the type of guy who could come running after someone with a baseball bat to assault the person with if someone so much as just look on me in the wrong way.

Deleted
    i dont visit a fancy doctor just because i am not the most social person
    if i would do, maybe i would be diagnosed with asperger or sth bescause im socially awkward...

we will never know because i dont give too much credit to recently invented imaginary illnesses
    Last edited by mmocc933290767; 2011-12-13 at 12:34 AM.

"If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.