Thread: Syria

Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
52
... LastLast
  1. #21
    What are people talking about?
    Getting your countries involved and what not?

    He's personally asking YOU to spread what HE is saying. To let people know what is going on. If people are aware then that might help. If you don't feel like it, fine move along and be happy its not your country.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I'm just wondering how many more countries we are gonna have to help with their problems. When did nations stop solving their own stuff?
    This isn't really about nations helping themselves, its not like its an economic or civil dispute. This is the nation itself oppressing its people. However, I tend to ask the same question you do... what am I supposed to do about it?

    The OP is asking for us to spread knowledge, but how is that going to help? There has been knowledge for years of tragedies such as the genocide in Sudan yet nothing is being done. All over the world people suffer and are oppressed everyday, but knowledge doesn't help. What would you like? Sending $5 to the Red Cross so that doctors can tend to wounded civilians? I don't know if that is effective either.

    To be honest the situation is incredibly political to say the least as Syria's allies would make military action near impossible, and I'm against violence to stop violence anyhow. I'd be more than happy to fly to your country and join you in protest in an attempt to secure your human rights (but I don't know if my government would allow that or your country would let me in).

    It is terrible that this is occurring and I wish I could comfort you, but I'm afraid all I can offer is emotional support. I hope that leaders such as this eventually come to their senses and are ashamed of these acts of violence (I'm thinking of Gandhi shaming his oppressor into allowing freedom... sorry Brittians), but all I can do is hope that they're capable of such emotions. I'm also afraid that a diplomatic solution might not come for a long time.

    Also, to the OP, please don't endanger yourself by posting on a site that could cause you severe punishment. If this is the case I'd rather not see you be put in danger, especially if its on a site filled with angry teenagers and overgrown kids who bicker constantly (including me).

  3. #23
    The Hedgehog Elementium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MA, USA.
    Posts
    12,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatcave View Post
    What are people talking about?
    Getting your countries involved and what not?

    He's personally asking YOU to spread what HE is saying. To let people know what is going on. If people are aware then that might help. If you don't feel like it, fine move along and be happy its not your country.
    Exactly. People need to get this political BS out of their minds.. he's not saying "come fight our dictators america and europe!" He's asking that we as individuals simply spread the word that a country is oppressing it's people and doing it's best to make sure the world doesn't know.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    Exactly. People need to get this political BS out of their minds.. he's not saying "come fight our dictators america and europe!" He's asking that we as individuals simply spread the word that a country is oppressing it's people and doing it's best to make sure the world doesn't know.
    Okay, I'm not sure who you're responding to-probably everyone in general who's saying "so what?"-and not to sound too cynical, but what is knowledge? You think a dictator like this is going to say, "Oh some kids who play WoW in Sweden, UK, etc. and their families know about how bad I treat my people. I better stop"?

    Moreover, "fight" is the wrong action. We shouldn't go to war for freedom, we should rally for peace and secure freedom.

    However, I'm not saying we ignore it either. To sit by an allow violence to happen creates is an equally immoral transgression against humanity as causing it yourself. So I ask, what would you have us do besides tell other people? Even if the entire world knows about it doesn't mean it will stop.

  5. #25
    Elemental Lord Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    8,591
    Wow, really sorry to see this and hear what's happening. I will try to spread the word a bit.

    It's unfortunate that I belive other countries won't help you. NATO for example already went to Lybia and it's taking far longer then they thought so they won't risk another plus they know that if they do intervene your president will say Israel is the main culprit and as such rally more people against the revolutionaries. I can only with you good luck there, we had our own bloody revolution here in 1989-1990 so I know how things probably are there.

    And here Syria is nowhere on the news for example.

  6. #26
    Elementium and Meatcave, thanks a lot mates. It's just as they said, i don't want anyone to do anything that can even cost him a cent, all I want is to let people know. Yeah it might be in news everyday, but believe me there are lot of people who don't even know where Syria is or don't even know that there is a county with this name even exists. IT"s not about politics, it's about our own regime is killing us so the can stay in power for 1 more day.

    To Traduce, thanks for your concerns mate, but I'll tell you this, I'm ready to give up my life if it will help the Revolution going forward 1 step.

  7. #27
    The Hedgehog Elementium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MA, USA.
    Posts
    12,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Traduce View Post
    Okay, I'm not sure who you're responding to-probably everyone in general who's saying "so what?"-and not to sound too cynical, but what is knowledge? You think a dictator like this is going to say, "Oh some kids who play WoW in Sweden, UK, etc. and their families know about how bad I treat my people. I better stop"?

    Moreover, "fight" is the wrong action. We shouldn't go to war for freedom, we should rally for peace and secure freedom.

    However, I'm not saying we ignore it either. To sit by an allow violence to happen creates is an equally immoral transgression against humanity as causing it yourself. So I ask, what would you have us do besides tell other people? Even if the entire world knows about it doesn't mean it will stop.
    I think the goal to reach by spreading the word that a dictator is committing violent crimes against his people is that, once everyone knows, we will then be able to put on the political pressure without the use of violence and the Syrian people won't feel like their cause only serves as a way to get themselves killed.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    /facedesk. Crimes against humanity are being carried out and all you care about is the correct forum being used?

    OT: I've been keeping up with the crisis in Syria (through the BBC) for a while now, I truly hope that President Al-Asad steps down (or at least delivers on these promised reforms).
    Not to be frank with you, but crimes against humanity have been happening every second for the past 10,000 years, while people go on about their day like nothing is happening. Syria is one of 100 places on this planet (at least) that are experiencing these crimes at this very moment and yet most people do nothing to stop it.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Wow, really sorry to see this and hear what's happening. I will try to spread the word a bit.

    And here Syria is nowhere on the news for example.
    That's really all I'm asking for, thanks mate.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I truly hope that President Al-Asad steps down (or at least delivers on these promised reforms).
    Dictators need to step down, no amount of reforms will ever justify their rule.

    I will continue to support our brothers fighting for freedom in the mid-east. There's been a great amount of reform in the last year, I truly believe you guys can do it.

  11. #31
    The Lightbringer Yirrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Where the Zebras roam!
    Posts
    3,453
    Syria is regularily on the news here, and I've been trying to keep up with the situation. We have to believe that all the tyrants will fall in time, but when they do...that is the most critical moment of all. Here's my sympathy, and my hopes that when the people succeed, there won't be something worse yet raising it's head.
    All true wealth is biological. -Lois McMaster Bujold

    Attention: This is weather. This is climate. Learn the difference between the two before you use weather to "disprove climate change".

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendi Abyad View Post
    To Traduce, thanks for your concerns mate, but I'll tell you this, I'm ready to give up my life if it will help the Revolution going forward 1 step.
    I'm willing to give my life as well if it would mean that 2 or even 1 person could live free from what you're experiencing. Take it as you will, but even if I sound like an ass I really do care that you have a chance at the same freedoms and joys that many others have... unfortunately the opportunity that allows me to die to protect (at least in my country) is joining the military and I'm very much against this.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    I think the goal to reach by spreading the word that a dictator is committing violent crimes against his people is that, once everyone knows, we will then be able to put on the political pressure without the use of violence and the Syrian people won't feel like their cause only serves as a way to get themselves killed.
    Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Sudan, Somalia, Korea

    These are the countries I can think of that have oppressive dictators. How they compare to Syria I don't know. As to what freedoms they allow and don't allow I'm not quite sure either. However, I do know that the world has been exposed to the tragedies happening in these countries for a long time and still nothing has changed.

    I'm not saying we watch this on the news then go back to eating our breakfast. I'd genuinely like to know what I can do besides telling my family and friends or driving to a government and standing outside with a sign or writing one of my elected officials.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I'm just wondering how many more countries we are gonna have to help with their problems. When did nations stop solving their own stuff?

    It's horrible what's happening in your country, but I think a lot of people are getting a bit of a "meh"-feeling about it. There are so many countries suffering in the same or similar ways and are continously asking for everyone else to step in and solve their own crisis.

    All the while, western nations are being called crusaders, imperialists and greedy oppressors. It's hard to understand what really needs doing from us, when all we get for helping is sh*t.

    I'm not sure I want my own country involved in more conflicts, we're a small country (Sweden) and we're already involved in Afghanistan and Libya.
    If everyone pleading for help actually got it, the wealthy European nations would be spread thin and all over North Africa and the Middle-East.


    At some point, this is not just our responsability. Even if we want to, we can't fix the world for you. And even if we fixed your country, we'd be in even more trouble for it in the end.

    So just how can you help yourself if tanks come into your town while unarmed civilians demonstrate? and Snipers 1,5km away shoot down the man to your right?Or cut off the food,electricity and water supply.

    But hey go ahead, help yourself, youl manage somehow.

    With a Military as advanced as theirs and a fortune of(if its true, 40 billion dollars) they cant help themselves anymore.

  14. #34
    Traduce, I don't think you are an ass at all, everyone has an opinion and I admire all opinions, and I admire your frankness.

    About what you can do: if you go to church, pray for us. If you can make a peaceful set-in, do it. If you can spread this to anyone who don't know about it, do it.

    When we started the Revolution we knew that lot would die, and we know that a lot will die, it's now our responsibility for those who died and for the next generations to continue.

  15. #35
    the suffer of the syrian is nothing new . it's been like this for decades .

    the Alawee minority rules with an iron fist . this regime is responssible to over 1500 civilian casuallties over 3 monthes , raping women in front of their husbands/fathers as an intimidation , hunting refugees at the turkish border etc...

    there is no democarcy in syria and no civil rights .

    however , there's alot of hatred in syria ...

    as an Israeli I can tell you that most of us concern to your well being . as a democracy we wish you to have the same rights we take for granted . we also know what it's like to have no rights and being hunted for our beliefes from our short and long term history .

    we find the fact the Asaad is butchering you undisturbed for the last 3 monthes outrages while the american response toward more moderate countries (lybia and egypt) was swift and strong . I'm pretty sure if you had large oil deposits the western world would make haste helping you out...

    Currently you need to understand that no one is taking action to help you because of your "allies" china and Russia that use their veto on the security council against you . you should also thank Iran and Hizbulaahh for helping Assad with intelegence , weapon and soldiers to help killing you guys .

    however , you guys still find the time to try and invade our borders , throw rocks and molotov bottles at our soldiers (yet still call this non-violant protest) and portrait Israel as "the little devil" (USA is the "big devil ofc) .

    don't get me wrong ,
    most of us dream of the day we'll have peace and we wish we could have helped you somehow but the minute we will try to give you some kind of aid Israel will be in war with syria,Lebano,Iran,Egypt and probably turkey as well for "meddeling internal arabic affairs" .

    I also hope you realize the ironi that Syria,Lybia and Iran are or we're members of the human rights board of the UN and passed over 90% condemming decisions over Isreal while no one on the arab league condems Assad for murdering , raping and stealing your people .

    I do have to ask...
    how can we help you ?
    what kind of help you need ?

    I'm not sure how possible it is for us to help but at least it would give some kind of direction to those who can .

  16. #36
    However inane this may seem to your cause, I've been playing World of Warcraft for many many years now and have kept this hunter as my main character, his name: Damasscus. I'm always asked if I am Syrian. I will do anything within my power and even above my power to help you and your country. Even if it seems insignificant to some.

  17. #37
    leorana, as I said before, all you need to do is to spread the word, let people know what is going on and how cruel is our regime.

    And about invading your boarders, it was the regime which forced these people to go to their death to distract the world from what it's doing, and to threaten Israel. It wasn't the Syrian people.

    ---------- Post added 2011-06-21 at 06:34 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Damasscus View Post
    However inane this may seem to your cause, I've been playing World of Warcraft for many many years now and have kept this hunter as my main character, his name: Damasscus. I'm always asked if I am Syrian. I will do anything within my power and even above my power to help you and your country. Even if it seems insignificant to some.
    Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it.

  18. #38
    Immortal Noomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In my head, where crazy happens.
    Posts
    7,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    Exactly. People need to get this political BS out of their minds.. he's not saying "come fight our dictators america and europe!" He's asking that we as individuals simply spread the word that a country is oppressing it's people and doing it's best to make sure the world doesn't know.
    Ofcourse it's political! He wants people to take action in their own countries to show or express support, to whatever end that simply doing that could ever help. How is that not political?

    If that's the case then he should know that few people sincerely care. We feel bad about the things happening, but that's as far as our concerns and cares go.
    A dedicated few might be trying to make a difference, but all everyone else does is see the news and go "That shit's terrible." then we forget about it. I'm sorry but that is the extent of the normal persons care for the worlds troubles, especially when those troubles are so far away in a country so foreign to us.

    Spreading a word isn't simply going to work when it's not our conflict. Politicians will be the ones to do something, because they are the one that can.
    All you'll see is how they'll all condemn it and call it terrible, then propose sanctions. Our military actions are tied down to Libya. Our reputation is hurting, even though we're actually helping nations out.
    As I said, it's a dangerous political game.

    ---------- Post added 2011-06-21 at 06:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Gendi Abyad View Post
    leorana, as I said before, all you need to do is to spread the word, let people know what is going on and how cruel is our regime.

    And about invading your boarders, it was the regime which forced these people to go to their death to distract the world from what it's doing, and to threaten Israel. It wasn't the Syrian people.

    ---------- Post added 2011-06-21 at 06:34 PM ----------



    Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it.
    We know plenty of cruel regimes. Such regimes that excist now with the one in Syria, and such regimes that have excisted before them. Yours is another amongst a dozens, and people are just thinking "another bloody country in the world doing this" and then we barely want to think about it because it doesn't help brooding over it.
    I feel like a real wanker for being so cynical with you, I can't begin to imagine how Syrians are suffering, but what I write is still what I definetly consider the truth on this.

    I hope something constructive will happen for you, and that the area in which your country excists starts to develop and grows out of the middle-age brutality it lives in.

    ---------- Post added 2011-06-21 at 06:51 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by leorana View Post
    the suffer of the syrian is nothing new . it's been like this for decades .

    the Alawee minority rules with an iron fist . this regime is responssible to over 1500 civilian casuallties over 3 monthes , raping women in front of their husbands/fathers as an intimidation , hunting refugees at the turkish border etc...

    there is no democarcy in syria and no civil rights .

    however , there's alot of hatred in syria ...

    as an Israeli I can tell you that most of us concern to your well being . as a democracy we wish you to have the same rights we take for granted . we also know what it's like to have no rights and being hunted for our beliefes from our short and long term history .

    we find the fact the Asaad is butchering you undisturbed for the last 3 monthes outrages while the american response toward more moderate countries (lybia and egypt) was swift and strong . I'm pretty sure if you had large oil deposits the western world would make haste helping you out...

    Currently you need to understand that no one is taking action to help you because of your "allies" china and Russia that use their veto on the security council against you . you should also thank Iran and Hizbulaahh for helping Assad with intelegence , weapon and soldiers to help killing you guys .

    however , you guys still find the time to try and invade our borders , throw rocks and molotov bottles at our soldiers (yet still call this non-violant protest) and portrait Israel as "the little devil" (USA is the "big devil ofc) .

    don't get me wrong ,
    most of us dream of the day we'll have peace and we wish we could have helped you somehow but the minute we will try to give you some kind of aid Israel will be in war with syria,Lebano,Iran,Egypt and probably turkey as well for "meddeling internal arabic affairs" .

    I also hope you realize the ironi that Syria,Lybia and Iran are or we're members of the human rights board of the UN and passed over 90% condemming decisions over Isreal while no one on the arab league condems Assad for murdering , raping and stealing your people .

    I do have to ask...
    how can we help you ?
    what kind of help you need ?

    I'm not sure how possible it is for us to help but at least it would give some kind of direction to those who can .

    Israeli caring about peoples rights? I won't even start on that. But maybe you're different.

    You say that the west won't help because of no oil, which just makes me furious once more. Why do you think China and Russia are prepared to veto action against Syria? Because they have something to lose from it.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendi Abyad View Post
    leorana, as I said before, all you need to do is to spread the word, let people know what is going on and how cruel is our regime.

    And about invading your boarders, it was the regime which forced these people to go to their death to distract the world from what it's doing, and to threaten Israel. It wasn't the Syrian people.

    ---------- Post added 2011-06-21 at 06:34 PM ----------



    Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it.
    Genadi ,
    I only wish more syrian would have been like you . the cruelty of your regime is well known to us in Israel and we raly do Ache for you .

    I realy wish we could help you in your time of need and that you will survive and win your fair and just fight .

    me and others like me will spread the word but sadly - the world knows and choose not to act . they see the vidoes on youtube that shows only the tip of the iceberg of Assad and his allies cruelty . the UN knows what's going on but still won't come to your help because of china and russia political games...

    I truely wish you and all your loved ones to see the day the assad dynasty will fall and you regain freedom and the rights of your own land .

    also , we know the border invasion was a move made by Assad in an attempt to put Israel in the spotlight instead of his crimes against humanity instead . but sadly , there are many syrians that consider us an enemy and wish us all dead .

    I can tell from your post you only wish to live free (as you deserve) and in peace (as we should) . I pray we live to see those days shortly .

    I know there isn't much comfort I can give you but I will say this :

    the syrian people have the power now . they are the vast majority and they are no longer afraid from the Assad family who murdered over 60,000 people so far .

    YOU WILL WIN THIS! ASSAD WILL FALL!

    just be strong and live to see it , and hopefully soon the world will remember to fight for justice rather than for interests.

    ---------- Post added 2011-06-21 at 07:07 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Israeli caring about peoples rights? I won't even start on that. But maybe you're different.

    You say that the west won't help because of no oil, which just makes me furious once more. Why do you think China and Russia are prepared to veto action against Syria? Because they have something to lose from it.
    China and Russia sell weapons to Syria . they're also not a big supporters of human rights . china has none and Russia only pretends to have them . ofc they have much to lose by standing up against Assad but sometimes doing what's right (which is what we should all aim for) comes with a great cost .

    as for Israel and human rights , I realy don't want to grab the attention from this very important thread but I can tell you 2 things :

    1) I'm as Israeli as most of us here .
    2) feel free to contact me if you want to continue this . if you have questions I'll do my best to answer them . I don't know how many Israelis you know but I'm offering you an oppertunity to know at least one .

  20. #40
    You can sign this petition:
    gopetition . c o m /petitions/bashar-al-assad-ought-to-be-condemned-by-international . h t m l

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •