Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Hmm... I'll have to play with that some, I don't recall ever see'ing more than 4 ticks on on my Gnosis bar and I know I sometimes fail at clipping at the "right" part of the cast; but that could just be due to too much going on while I am raiding (I raid lead too so I am often not even looking at my stuff).

  2. #22
    I've never seen more than 4 ticks on my Gnosis bar either but it's possible that I missed it. But I clip right after the 2nd or 3rd tick depending on how many are listed on the cast bar. I always clip to reapply DoT's and MB.

  3. #23
    Spamming MF as much as humanly possible is a dps increase btw, if used correctly.
    Now to see if anyone realises how.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykie View Post
    Spamming MF as much as humanly possible is a dps increase btw, if used correctly.
    Now to see if anyone realises how.
    Thanks for the cryptic and not very helpful post... you probably should refrain from posting if all you are going to do is hint at your secret knowledge...

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    It will get worse from a mana point of view, but say you clip your MF after the first tic, you now have a "cast" with 4 ticks. Now, clip that bar again and you'll have a bar with 5 and blablabla. You will not, however, remove any tick from your mind flay that would have caused any damage.

    It's a aweful waste of mana, yes. But it's doable and never a dps loss.
    Wait, what? How can you have 5 ticks, I thought dots only carried over the very last tick?

  6. #26
    Banned This name sucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A basement in Canada
    Posts
    2,726
    What are you guys doing that you don't have mana problems.

    On long fights like heroic rag/heroic warmaster I have mana problems because of all the dotting.

    This might just because I don't have my 2pc yet though.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by methanar View Post
    What are you guys doing that you don't have mana problems.

    On long fights like heroic rag/heroic warmaster I have mana problems because of all the dotting.

    This might just because I don't have my 2pc yet though.
    I imagine fights like warmaster are more unforgiving on mana because of the dotting.... but thats not because of flay thats because of dotting.

  8. #28
    Herald of the Titans Keosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by methanar View Post
    What are you guys doing that you don't have mana problems.

    On long fights like heroic rag/heroic warmaster I have mana problems because of all the dotting.

    This might just because I don't have my 2pc yet though.
    Throw a couple of SW D and you should be ok, i don't have mana problems in any fight in DS so far, 2/8HC

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-14 at 07:19 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    but say you clip your MF after the first tic, you now have a "cast" with 4 ticks. Now, clip that bar again and you'll have a bar with 5 and blablabla.
    What are you talking about where did you get that?
    i'm not bashing you since i haven't check it by ill check it today and bash you later if you are wrong
    As long as i know the MF it's getting carried only at the last tick to avoid the clipping MF with another MF (the reason the nochanneling macro existed), if you clip MF after the first tick with another MF then you are getting a fresh MF with 3 ticks.
    Last edited by Keosen; 2011-12-14 at 07:21 AM.

  9. #29
    5 ticks won't happen. but consider it from this point of view

    as long as you are casting mind flay, and clipping it with another mind flay, you will continue to have ticks in the same frequency. So look at it from the "time spent casting mind flay"

    if you are going to cast 16 seconds of mind flay, not interrupted by any other spell (never happens, but to prove a point) regardless of when and where and how you clip it, you will have the exact same amount of ticks.

    the dps issues come at clipping mind flay with other spells, timing the clip right after a tick yields best results. yet going for that tick in expense of a dot falling off is a dps loss. casting mind blast right after a tick finishes is the best as well, however don't let your mind blast off cooldown for 3 seconds to achieve that.

    clipping mindflay with mind flay might cause mana issues since every cast will cost mana.

    so again to the 16 second example I totally came up with, you can either have 13-14 casts or 6-7 casts resulting with equal ticks, but less mana spent on the latter.

  10. #30
    Don't worry about clipping Mind Flay, they changed the way DoTs worked in cata and technically the game considers MF a dot.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Wait, what? How can you have 5 ticks, I thought dots only carried over the very last tick?
    You never get one tick in one bac, I frased that realy bad, you get 5 ticks in the sequence

  12. #32
    Stood in the Fire Koilie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    <vodka> on Stormrage US
    Posts
    469
    Seems like the question was answered pretty well already.
    Quartz = Win
    Don't use macro
    Manually clip after second tick

    As for casting MB as soon as it's up. That's pretty good, but to squeeze out the most dps you should judge it on a case by case basis.
    For instance if you are a fraction of a second until your next MF tick then you should just let that tick play out then cast MB.
    THe best and easiest place to stop your MF is after the second tick since the first tick usually happens while you are still on GCD from the initial cast and by the time your off GCD your partway through the second tick anyway.

  13. #33
    @eErike - One thing I am curious about is what do you gain by clipping MF with another MF before the second tick? The only thing I can think of is that it's easier then making sure you always do it right before the last tick, but I might be overlooking something.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Actually I had heard that Quartz has since updated and will adjust when the ticks happen now. However, I haven't tried it since I have had no issues with gnosis so I haven't felt compelled to switch back.
    Yep, Quartz works just fine. I am personally using it just for the player casting bar.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    @eErike - One thing I am curious about is what do you gain by clipping MF with another MF before the second tick? The only thing I can think of is that it's easier then making sure you always do it right before the last tick, but I might be overlooking something.
    As far as I know you won't gain anything at all and I'm very curious about it to since someone mentioned that you could gain something from it.
    I'va always just said clip it whenever, it doesn't matter, the laster you clip the better in most of the situations. I can however imagine that clipping it later might queue up a global at a point that you realise you want to cast MB instead but that's a minimal loss.

    The only thing "gained" but casting a new MF asap is a higher manausage and francly I've found myself oom on some fights in DS when I dot a lot.

  16. #36
    Recommend getting quartz, will show your latency and show a little red bar at the end of the cast to queue up your next mind flay.

  17. #37

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnism View Post
    Clipping MF makes you lose more mana depending on which tick you clip it at and wastes more GCDs, so always clip after 2nd tick.
    Actually through the conversation in this thread we have sort of determined that unless you have some other spell you need to cast (in which case why would you even be thinking about casting MF again anyways) and you are running out of mana; it actually doesn't really matter when you clip MF.

  19. #39
    Also, there is a clear benefit to recasting Mind Flay earlier than at the last possible second if you know you need to cast something that would otherwise be delayed by GCD if you delay Mind Flay the extra tick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •