Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post
    Btw, when was the last time you updated your BIOS?
    A BIOS update shouldn't be recommended for a non-tech savvy user for something as simple as blue screens. The odds of a BIOS update fixing a random blue screen issue is far too slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    A BIOS update shouldn't be recommended for a non-tech savvy user for something as simple as blue screens. The odds of a BIOS update fixing a random blue screen issue is far too slim.
    While that may be true (I don't think it is, most BIOS can update via usb flash drive), blue screens aren't as simple as you may think. Personally, I think I'd take the chance of updating the BIOS versus buying a new CPU (free vs. $100+).

Lightbulb

One advice I could give in addition to the excellent tips in the previous posts is scan your pc with an antivirus program and antispyware. There's free options available like Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.

The reason is because many malacious programs do make a Windows pc unstable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post
    While that may be true (I don't think it is, most BIOS can update via usb flash drive), blue screens aren't as simple as you may think. Personally, I think I'd take the chance of updating the BIOS versus buying a new CPU (free vs. $100+).
    Who said I think they're simple? They're most often complicated pains in the ass that are tough to track down. That doesn't mean you have to choose between BIOS update or new CPU. Again, a BIOS update has a VERY slim chance of fixing a blue screen, especially when they pop up out of nowhere with no recent hardware changes. If we knew what platform the OP was on, the 0x101 BSoD code would mean more. On the Sandy Bridge platform, for instance, it's typically a voltage problem.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Who said I think they're simple? They're most often complicated pains in the ass that are tough to track down. That doesn't mean you have to choose between BIOS update or new CPU. Again, a BIOS update has a VERY slim chance of fixing a blue screen, especially when they pop up out of nowhere with no recent hardware changes. If we knew what platform the OP was on, the 0x101 BSoD code would mean more. On the Sandy Bridge platform, for instance, it's typically a voltage problem.
    Plus, doing a BIOS update really isn't the best method of fixing a problem with your system unless someone knows for a fact that it's the reason why you're getting it.

Even doing a reformat and reinstall of the OS is a less invasive method of resolving a blue screen.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Just come across my mind, if water cooling, leak possibility? As OP stated, random during increased stress.
    Well, never done a water cooling mod my self. But isn't so that pump starts pumping faster during increased load and that creates more pressure inside cooling system?

Quote Originally Posted by Cawabunga View Post
    Just come across my mind, if water cooling, leak possibility? As OP stated, random during increased stress.
    Well, never done a water cooling mod my self. But isn't so that pump starts pumping faster during increased load and that creates more pressure inside cooling system?
    If the OP didn't know what the BsoD code was or their hardware specs I can infer that they arent watercooling their computer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsoangel View Post
    Stop Error/BugCheck: 0x101
    Parameter/Argument 1: 0x61 0000061, Clock interrupt time out interval in nominal clock ticks.
    Parameter/Argument 2: 0x0 0000000, 0.
    Parameter/Argument 3: 0xfffff880009e7180 09e7180, The PRCB address of the hung processor.
    Parameter/Argument 4: 0x1 0000001, 0.
    Probable Cause ntoskrnl.exe
    Statistics
    (In our database) 24 Record(s) matching Bug Check + 0 Parameters
    3 Record(s) matching Bug Check + Parameter 1
    3 Record(s) matching Bug Check + Parameters 1 and 2
    0 Record(s) matching Bug Check + Parameters 1, 2, and 3
    0 Record(s) matching Bug Check + All Parameters
    19 Record(s) matching Bug Check + Probable Cause
    0 Record(s) matching Bug Check + All Parameters + Probable Cause
    Details:
    No additional details available
    CPU fault. It's either (as other people have stated) overheating or the CPU is damaged. IF, as you say it's running at ~70°F (about 24°C) then it probably isn't a overheating issue as 65°C+ is around the upper bound for a CPU overheating.

To rule out overheating, if you can -
    (1) physically inspect the temperature inside the case around the CPU whilst running a resource strenous program (in your case WoW, as you lead us to believe) DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THE ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS IN THERE. (2) With the power supply off, dissemble the your tower, and with a anti-static/ grounding wrist strap remove the CPU cooler (i'm guessing it's a fan)> remove the latch on the motherboard to lift the CPU (be careful as it may be hot!) and inspect for scorching, or damage.
    (2) Apply some thermal paste/ grease (if needed) on the top of the seated CPU (where the writing is).

To rule out hardware (i.e. your RAM):-
    (1) Run 'Memtest' (unfortunately I can't post link, but search for 'ntoskrnl.exe', it may help explain this problem)

To rule out software related faults:-
    (1) Up date your program drivers (There are many Registry/ Driver tweaking related software on the internet e.g. RegPro Clean)
    (2) Because you mentioned the error occurs whilst running WoW, then like others I suggest reparing or completely re-installing it.
    (2) This isn't liekly related, but run an anti-virus, anti-malware/ spyware programs just to rid yourself of any extraneous variables.

IMO though, I think (if your CPU temperature reading is correct ) that it's driver related. If your on Windows (legal copy) then run 'Windows update'. Hope this helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
    Installed: 2/22/2010 5:53:01 PM

Processor:

3.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Drivers:
    150.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    34.23 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190A ATA Device [Optical drive]
    SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615 ATA Device [Optical drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
    WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR5 [Hard drive] (150.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAP42000080, rev 21.07QR5, SMART Status: Healthy

System model:

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA785G-UD3H
    Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit Board:
    Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA785G-UD3H
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F4 09/16/2009

Display:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX [Display adapter]
    Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (21.7"vis, s/n CM22H9LS410631, April 2009)

Other Devices:
    Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
    HID-compliant consumer control device
    HID-compliant device
    Razer Lycosa (2x)
    Razer Pro|Solutions
    HID Keyboard Device
    HID-compliant mouse
    USB Composite Device
    USB Root Hub (7x)
    Generic volume shadow copy

Is this what y'all were looking for? I hope it helps..

Also, Cilraaz, I'm positive that the temperature I gave you was in fact F not C.

---------- Post added 2011-12-14 at 10:16 PM ----------

http://www.mediafire.com/?0bcb4qqb72uil0d

This is the link to my minidump files.. didn't know where else to upload it to. If anyone has a better suggestion, it'd be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by mitsoangel; 2011-12-15 at 04:08 AM.

Signature done by: Rivellana

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you updated any of your drivers recently? If you have, the new driver may be acting up. If you haven't, an outdated driver may be acting up. I'm assuming you're not overclocking, so I'd toss out the possibility of it being a voltage issue (barring a PSU on its death bed).

I still think that 73.5°F (23°C) is way too low for a CPU under any form of load... unless you were giving us idle temps. What software are you using to read CPU temps?

Hi Mitsoangel,

Just so you know, 73.5°F is more or less "room temperature." Computers generate heat... except yours, apparently. That's why people are harping on the temperature issue.

Reality check: play WoW for a bit and then put your hand up to the fan at the back of your case (don't touch it of course). Can you feel even the tiniest bit of warmth? If so, it's way hotter than 73.5°F inside.

10+ Year Old Account
    I updated all of my drivers the first time this happened, because I thought it was an old driver that was causing this. Well, thats what a guild mate suggested.

I'm getting the temp from the front of my computer. On it there is a little screen that tells me fan speed, temp, and time. It also shows a little thermometer. I've put my hand by the fans and on the inside of the case after playing wow and haven't felt any real heat so I doubt its over heating...

My computer was built by my brother and he gave it to me a few years back as a birthday present. I would ask him all these questions but since hes no longer available to talk to my next step is y'all. MMO has always been really helpful... sorry to get mushy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsoangel View Post
    I'm getting the temp from the front of my computer. On it there is a little screen that tells me fan speed, temp, and time. It also shows a little thermometer. I've put my hand by the fans and on the inside of the case after playing wow and haven't felt any real heat so I doubt its over heating...
    None of those methods are valid for checking CPU temperature (it won't heat up the case temp enough for a person to notice unless it catches fire, and the front display is likely showing case temp or ambient temp). Download Core Temp and see what reading it gives you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I downloaded what you suggested Cilraaz and it says:
    Without running WoW.
    Core 0: 46 degrees C
    Core 1: 34 degrees C

While running WoW:
    Core 0:80 degrees C
    Core 1:76 degrees C
    Last edited by mitsoangel; 2011-12-15 at 11:03 PM.

Deleted
    CPU is too hot. Idle 40C should be OK and load max 60-70 perhaps. I would never let my CPU run on 80C.
    When you got your comp at the beginning, was it OK, no BSOD? If so then check thermal paste, it tends dry out buy the time. Especially silver paste, it turns in to silver dust.
    Last edited by mmoca9bc5b1f6b; 2011-12-15 at 11:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah when I first got it I had no problems. I haven't had any real problems until recently...

15+ Year Old Account
    That CPU is rated for a max temperature of 63°C. 80°C is WAY too hot. When is the last time you cleaned out your computer? It could just be dust build-up.

Deleted
    Good point Cilraaz. Mitsoangel start with CPU cooler, dust off and check thermal paste.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cleaned it out with some air duster and everything. Thats good. I checked the thermal paste and it looks like I need to replace that. Is there a better than this or that brand out there or does it matter?

Deleted
    You probably need electrically non conductive, to play safe.
    This looks like right thing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186038
    Just one more thing, don't make a sandwich, very thin layer just on CPU or cooler and then join them together.

Edit: Also don't forget remove old thermal paste before applying new one.
    Last edited by mmoca9bc5b1f6b; 2011-12-16 at 01:44 AM.