Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Maximus, all your ideas on this are totally backward and derpy. Have you not considered that the only reason so many hours are needed to drop these bosses is because they're being done from scratch and undergeared?

If the top guilds were happy waiting a few weeks then killing the boss, with the extra gear and strategies, it wouldn't take them anywhere near as long.

This first week of progression, our 10 man raided around 39 hours, with us rounding off a 4 hour night tonight since most of our progression is done for this week, this is Gag Reflex at World 17 atm.

I think Карфаген said in 'the race to world first' that they raided 19h per day, but they felt it was too slacky so they changed it to 20h per day.

World first implies one thing, the first guild in the world to kill that boss. Not the guild that spent the least amount of time on the boss, the guild with the least amount of wipes, or the guild with the most fabulously pink sweater vest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gondlem View Post
    The guild that kills it first is the best guild, that's the only thing that matters.
    That really depends on context. If you're talking about the very top guilds in the world, such as Paragon and Method, then yes, they likely have the "best" collection of talent and bring the best organization to the table. They'd likely beat any other guild in a fair race given equal parameters.

My guild raids heroic 25 man content for 10.5 hours each week. This week, we defeated Morchok, Zon'ozz and then Hagara on heroic and finished up the rest of the instance in a little under 10 hours (Hagara took less time than we budgeted; the fight was... disappointing). Does this make us better or worse than a guild that will put in 5 nights of work or raid 5+ hours per night but kills an extra boss or two? I don't know, and frankly, I don't really care. At the end of the day, it depends on the goals and charter of your guild.

Our favourite metric is number of pulls to kill a progression boss, but even that is subject to obfuscation when you factor in things like timing of encounter changes (read: disappointing nerfs) and such. For instance, the first 150 or so pulls of our Heroic Ragnaros progression was quite a bit different than the next 100.
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

The fact remains that every reset of gear, every piece of strat information and every nerf makes future kills easier to obtain.

The only way "hours raided" or "number of attempts" is a relevant measurement of skill is when all other factors are equal. When it comes to the top guilds, this is rarely if ever the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    6 days a week, from 19:00 to 01:00 = 42 hours a week is what an average top guild raid per week during progress, I guess, if I were to make an estimate

Bosses become easier every day after the first kill so unless the guild who raids significantly less gets the first kill before a guild that raids a lot you'll find it difficult to make any decent approximations of the difference in skill between those guilds or whatever you think it is that matters.

I've raided in WoW since EU retail (save from my two major breaks because of army and other stuff totaling some about 2½ years off) in guilds ranging from very casual to very hardcore and I don't think I've ever put less hours to the game in average since joining Paragon.

Deleted
    I'm not in a top guild, but we raid 10-12 hours a week. 7-12 on Thursdays and Sundays and the occational raid on monday-tuesday to clear whats rest of the raid if we didn't already. We're currently 2/8 in DS HC and 7/7 in Firelands HC

---------- Post added 2011-12-13 at 06:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Menkey View Post
    Haha, didn't even know members of top guilds even browsed MMO Champ forums
    Why wouldn't they? They are normal WoW players afterall

Will find the top guilds put over 12 hours a day easily on progression, particularly at release.

Probably ~80+ hours in the first week. On release day I raided for 14 hours, next day for another 15 hours. Pretty sure other guilds doing the same, if not more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Menkey View Post
    Haha, didn't even know members of top guilds even browsed MMO Champ forums
    What else can they do to satisfy their addiction while accounts frozen? =)