1. #1
    Bloodsail Admiral Haggerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, Angel
    Posts
    1,234

    A thread about: Style of Play...

    I've gathered that the 8th class is the most complex...and the play-style is pretty different to anything we've seen before [in any similarly themed MMO?].

    What could that play-style be?

    I know that mesmer is the hot, hot, hot favourite for the 8th...

    Illusions? Lots and lots of very short duration but game mechanic bending tricks?

    They need all of the rest of the mechanics in place before you can start to mess with them...it's taking time, so we know that it's not just a run up and sword them...something tricksy, something smart...

    I'm not trying to justify that general feeling of mesmer will be 8...rather, I'm asking - if you could come up with a new style of play...something that isn't swording them in the head, rogueing them...erm...in the back of the head...and spelling them...arrowing them and...erm...petting (?) them...what would - what *could* it be?

    My thoughts are about the physics of the game, the engine, the reality...and messing with that somehow...(again, mesmer?) - but what would the style be? What would the skills and button presses be?

    Just thoughts...would love to hear yours.

    ps - am happy to read realistic (in terms of what is reasonable in a game) and also mad/imaginative/mad/imaginative...

    H.
    Last edited by Haggerty; 2011-12-12 at 08:37 PM.

  2. #2
    I hope they make them similar to the gw1 mesmer playstyle =)

  3. #3
    Seeing as how we are absent traditional roles for the professions the only remaining playstyle I can think of is one of control. So, gotta be Mesmer. Which probably has even more interesting potential in GW2 than in GW1... and that's saying something as Mesmer are/were a fantastically well designed class.

    While I can dimly see a potential reworking of the concept behind a Mesmer- say, Illusionist, Enchanter (EQ style) or Psion (D&D style)... I can't see an 8th playstyle that fits the Guild Wars milieu which abandons control as it's primary playstyle.

    So basically, Mesmer's mesmering.

  4. #4
    Bloodsail Admiral Haggerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, Angel
    Posts
    1,234
    Mesmer is the 8 - how exciting :-)

    So - if we were to make a 9...with different play-style, unlike has ever been seen...what would that play-style be?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    So - if we were to make a 9...with different play-style, unlike has ever been seen...what would that play-style be?
    Well, if I had my way I'd love a playstyle where the profession could convert their damage to healing or DPS in bursts. Kinda like Cholromancer or Justicar in Rift or Shaman in Warhammer.

    I love that play style as it forces players to make moment-to-moment choices when it is handled well.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I hope they make them similar to the gw1 mesmer play style =)
    That is unfortunately impossible because certain key mechanics have been changed/removed (ie. no interrupting, no hexes, no mana draining etc.). Of all the returning professions, the Mesmer has probably changed the most. That is not to say that the Mesmer will be unrecognizable from its GW1 counterpart. Will the Mesmer still heavily rely on "control"? Possibly, judging by the 3 or 4 skills we were shown in the reveal trailer. But will it be the same/similar? Probably not.

    This is all just my speculation. I know it is too soon to evaluate the profession since we only have that leaked video + a basic grasp on the fundamental game mechanics.

    I, for one, am really looking forward to trying the prof out. It is definitely contending with the Engineer to being my main.

  7. #7
    I wonder what unique mechanic they get. You know what I mean; warrior get adrenaline, rangers pets, guardians virtues, necromancers death shroud, etc. I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, if I had my way I'd love a playstyle where the profession could convert their damage to healing or DPS in bursts. Kinda like Cholromancer or Justicar in Rift or Shaman in Warhammer.

    I love that play style as it forces players to make moment-to-moment choices when it is handled well.
    I've enjoyed variations of this one... I find 'pure healing' to be pretty boring, so an offensive healer works for me... Thought the Chloro was neat, though didn't get it that high (30ish?)... And I really enjoyed the Disciple of Khaine (sp?) play style in WAR.

    It's a hard class to balance though; If the dps is good, and the healing is good, how do you beat them? : )

    -Alamar

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    I've enjoyed variations of this one... I find 'pure healing' to be pretty boring, so an offensive healer works for me... Thought the Chloro was neat, though didn't get it that high (30ish?)... And I really enjoyed the Disciple of Khaine (sp?) play style in WAR.

    It's a hard class to balance though; If the dps is good, and the healing is good, how do you beat them? : )

    -Alamar
    Remember the way the Shaman worked? Where they built up a resource which could be cashed in for burst DPS or burst heals? I like that a lot. Pretty effective balancing if you do it right too.

    In Rift Clerics choose how much AOE healing they will output at the sacrifice of damage via a few toggle-able buffs. Which I think also works- though slightly less eloquently.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •