Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by gualdhar View Post
    Your gathering skill will provide you with the vast majority of your crafting mats for any recipe, and (as far as I saw during the beta) all of them for premium-quality items. If you don't go with Scavenging, you'll have to buy almost all the mats, regardless of level. You can certainly get money from Slicing, but whether its worth buying all your mats is going to depend on the server and how many people are willing and able to sell extra mats.

Personally, if you're going to go with one Slicing, I'd take that instead of your mission skill until you have some comfortable cash flow, then switch it for Underworld Trading when you want to make prototype- and artifact-level gear. You can level crafting skills from 1 to 400 without mission rewards, but the same can't be said for gathering rewards.
    Good point, I might go with that. Scavenge, Cybertech, Slicing until I'm comfortable with dropping Scavenging for UT.

I just liked the whole idea of being a very tech-geek BH, and Scavenging just seemed too much like mining for my tastes, but I guess it's really more like salvaging old parts to make new stuff, which is what most tech geeks would do.

It kind of looks like Slicing is essentially mutually exclusive with crafting skills. Picking it plus a crafting skill means you miss out on one of the crafting skill's mat providing skills. Guess Slicing is for those looking to just make money off double gathering or something and not worried about crafting anything.
    Last edited by Aldurok; 2011-12-13 at 12:09 AM.
    Nifsara - BASTARD i shot my hotpocket! Now what am i gonna have for lunch?

Deleted
    A small point, but vaguely related to crafting, make sure to click once on every crewskill NPC, they will all give you a codex entry and some EXP for your trouble. may as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for the hard work! This has been very useful in helping me decide the crafting professions for my characters.

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    A small point, but vaguely related to crafting, make sure to click once on every crewskill NPC, they will all give you a codex entry and some EXP for your trouble. may as well
    There's actually a mission you get on your fleet now to go around and talk to all of them
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Anyone know is Slicing is the only source for Augments?
    I wish to know the answer to this as well. Where will Augments come from since apparently not slicing anymore?

Slicing does provide augments.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Sooo... I only had a beta weekend but my understanding is epic guns can't have barrels replaced anymore....

Does that make the skill less valuable for an agent/sniper? I see no other "bonus" Listed for them? What's their advantage?

I am so torn right now.

Maybe i should go Scavanging/Underworld Trading/Cybertech. Or drop UT for now and go Slicing untill i get high level Cybertech. Or maybe i cant level without UT (meaning i need to buy most stuff).
    Maybe i'll go Biotech for the buffs and such.

Or maybe i'll just go 3 gathering (Slicing/Scavenging/Bio) and load my character on cash, and make the descision at lv50. When there is more information, and i have a better understand of my character to pick something that fits me. (and prices likely went down a bit)

All viable choices i suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewi View Post
    Sooo... I only had a beta weekend but my understanding is epic guns can't have barrels replaced anymore....

Does that make the skill less valuable for an agent/sniper? I see no other "bonus" Listed for them? What's their advantage?
    What Bioware did was prevent people from taking apart artifact items and use them for their orange ones, thereby circumventing Class restrictions (for example, in the old system, a Trooper could grab a Smuggler weapon, take the barrel out, and use it in his own weapon, getting the increased damage, even if the trooper can't use Cunning) or allowing people to strip lesser drops for better ones (like get a bunch of boots to drop, take out the armoring, and put it in a Chest, which gets more armor for the same armoring mod).

You'll still see artifact mods drop, and you can still swap out the other mods (if I remember correctly), just not the barrel, hilt, or armoring.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Will this be stickied?

Looks like a good start, just awaiting which skills complement which classes.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it probably should.

For which skills are what:

Armstech (weapons) and Armormech (armor) - Non-force Users
    Artifice (weapons) and Synthweave (armor) - Force Users
    Biochem - everyone (equivalent to Alchemy)
    Cybernetics - everyone (equivalent to Engineering)
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Deleted
    Can you sticky this thread, or create a "Useful threads" sticky as, knowing this thread existed, I wanted to find it again quickly, but it was on page 19. The BIG thread is good for one thing, but not for finding other MMO-Champ threads in a hurry.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no way to get this stickied? really?

10+ Year Old Account
    worth noting that Artifice is either bugged, or just really sucky for Assassin tanks at the moment, you can make Str and Aim shields, but no Will shields, so if you're playing Assassin Tank, you have to either pray for drops, or use a sub-par Str shield
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    I do have a question for the people who have probably power leveled (or at least attempting) their crew skills.

Is it worth reverse engineering the lower level items to get the higher ranked version of items?

eg Compact Medpack (lvl 10)-> Prototype Compact Medpack-> Reusable Compact Medpack.

Or shall I just keep crafting from trainable skills and only bother with reverse engineering things like the Ultimate Medpacks (lvl 380)?

10+ Year Old Account
    why is this not a sticky yet D:

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this could use a bump , its very helpful and with new people being recruited it could be very useful!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by godhand2nd View Post
    I do have a question for the people who have probably power leveled (or at least attempting) their crew skills.

Is it worth reverse engineering the lower level items to get the higher ranked version of items?

eg Compact Medpack (lvl 10)-> Prototype Compact Medpack-> Reusable Compact Medpack.

Or shall I just keep crafting from trainable skills and only bother with reverse engineering things like the Ultimate Medpacks (lvl 380)?
    I always reverse engineered everything that I crafted while powerleveling. If you have a decent income, just buy everything through the AH, but not in bulk. Reverse Engineer what you craft and leveling becomes extremely simple.

I powerleveled Armormech and Biochem the same weekend in order to get what they offered. Obviously not both at the same time ;P

As for getting the higher ranked versions, I wouldn't worry about it until you're maxed out. The lower end 'blues' or 'purples' are easily replaced once you move to the next bracket of craftables.

10+ Year Old Account
    Picture needs to be updated since slicing is now part of synthweaving, armormech, and armstech. An up to date picture is at http://www.oldrepublic.net/content/a...-chart-wt.jpg/
    MLP Friendship Is Magic - Republic - The Harbinger
    The Madhi Legacy
    Slugfest - 55 Watchman Sentinel | Slugtrooper - 55 Gunnery Commando | Slugconsular - 55 Seer Consular | Slackfest - 55 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Slugagent - 55 Marksmanship Sniper | Slugwarrior- 55 Annihilation Marauder | Slughunter- 55 Arsenal Mercenary | Slugsorcerer- 55 Lightning Sorcerer