Thread: Early Access

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by mordredz View Post
    Willing to bet alot of ppl will get in the first day, not just the OMFG i got it 1min after it was released ppl like you, swear you all seem to think your superior to everyone and im going to laugh my ass off when it happens...

---------- Post added 2011-12-13 at 04:02 AM ----------

We have and your not a server tech nor do i be leave you can even understand the complications that will arise, so keep your ignorant thoughts to yourself please, Thanks...
    Agree.. Technically I pre-ordered (or reserved my copy) on July 7th.. Just forgot about my code until Aug 1st.. Sooooo.. yah.. I guess it would be fair if we were going by that "superior" acting guy if I got in before him

I entered my pre-order code in early September. I expect to be getting in on either the 14th or 15th.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

Deleted
    11.11.2011 < watch me posting a in game screenshot here , around 1:30pmCET today

everybody who was in the open beta, and had a pre oder before the test will get in day 1, pre orders after the beta test will get in day 2 > and everybody that buys the game during early access after day 2 will get in instantly ..... its bioware(EA) guys .....

oh and i still need a name ...? help me out guys

People thinking that because they added 2 days, we all get in the first 2 days are delusional. There was a tweet from SR, and I'll go dig it up, it was about a week or so ago (the same day the revealed EGA started the 13th now) that mentioned EGA was based on when you applied the code to your account, and to get in on Day 1, you had to apply it real early (e.g july 21st). Realistcally, they more then likely added 2 more days to lower the amount in per day, and spread out that lower amount over the period of each day so the servers fill up equally, and the login servers don't die. They will spread it out over the full early Access period, I can guarantee that. And remember, SR might have said "a lot", but "a lot" is subjective when you don't know how many pre orders there are officially (and don't say vgcharts says X, vgcharts doesn't take into account a lot of pre order methods) and we don't know SRs context of a lot, or what it means to him. If TOR has 2 million Pre-Orders, to you, a lot might be 500k, to him it might mean 250k. It's all subjective, and there is no point in thinking everyone will be in the first few days, considering they just recently increased EGA from 5 to 7 days. If they were going to let everyone in fast, they never would have touched it.

Quote Originally Posted by pyropete View Post
    Agree.. Technically I pre-ordered (or reserved my copy) on July 7th.. Just forgot about my code until Aug 1st.. Sooooo.. yah.. I guess it would be fair if we were going by that "superior" acting guy if I got in before him
    Pre-Orders only opened up on the 21st July, interested to know how you managed to pre-order on the 7th July.

Well..if you think this logically. Not alot of people will have pre-ordered during July - August. Because just simply the fact that it wasn't "that" well known then. From my guess, everyone started taking interest in the game during late September and October, only the beta testers will have order the game when it was open to pre-orders. This is just me guessing but, the first day will probably get all those early pre-order out the way and second and third day will be slowly letting the huge amount of people that ordered during sept. and oct. in and the rest will just gradually fill out.

What they're probably planning to do is ramp up the load on the servers, particularly the login server. As things go well, they'll keep letting people in. I bet this is why they're doing it in waves throughout the day with no real promises.

So, if everything is stable and performing, I bet lots of people get in very soon. If things start to go sour and there are typical launch day problems, then we'll all be delayed.

It's a smart approach. Doing it this way, they control the launch and it will go a lot smoother. The beta was fine so hopefully everything is great and we all get in very early. Worst case some of us don't get in til later but the launch is smoother for everyone. I also bet this is why they were coy to start and are sounding more confident as they get closer to launch and things are shaping up ok.

I didn't play the beta until the last weekend beta tests were upon us. That doesn't mean I didn't pre-order. I pre ordered about an hour after it was available and put in the code about 40 minutes after that so I should be good.

Subject: Thank You For Pre-Ordering!
    Date: Jul 21, 2011 1:39 AM

Preorder Confirm

Thank you for registering your Pre-Order Code. You are now registered for the following items:

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Digital Deluxe Edition Pre-Order
    Early game access
    Color Stone (Virtual Item)

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    My take on the matter of easing people in is that they are doing it to ensure population balance across servers purely for a quality of play standpoint ie. trying to get the most peole playing together that they can. They aren't doing it to decrease load on their machines, they are doing it so we don't have population spread out as much. I think they are going to have a limited amount of servers actually open, and then open more as they go. Think of it this way, if you have an empty auditorium and try to fill it: letting people in with access to the entire thing will lead to sporadic clumps of friends, open areas with no one etc, If you gate off, lets say 2/3 of it and let the same amount of people in it will fill an area first, then move the barrier back and let that area fill, etc.
    From a developer's persepective, when you write anything that is supposed to support large numbers of concurrent users, unfortunately sometimes things go wrong. So in this case I'd say they are only letting in a limited (20k, 50k, whatever) number of users because they first want to evaluate how the production release of code responds. Honestly you can alpha test, beta test, and stress test all you like but that still doesn't account for some thing possibly going wrong the first day of production. My guess they'll let in X number of users and evaluate how the systems respond. If something major happens they can halt letting in more users and hopefully production can limp along until whatever issue can be addressed and production patched. Should nothing go wrong then they'll let in a larger batch of users and repeat the evaluation process. If say they let in 50%-60% of the possible users, then in would be time to let in the rest of the 40%-50%.

Basically what you're doing is mitigating risk. It's far better to upset 100k users and have a somewhat working production, and have a chance to fix it. Then upset 500k users and watch as production melts and you have no other recourse but to shut off production (boot people off the servers) and then say... "It's broke, well fix it, we don't know when, sorry."

I preordered late, so I'll be happy with 3 or 4 days of early access, but don't expect more than 2.

Below is a list of valid Star Wars: The Old Republic codes that have been redeemed under this account.
    11.02.2011 Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Early Game Access: Ready to patch
    07.21.2011 Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Digital Deluxe Edition Pre-Order

Here is hoping I get in 4 and a half hours!!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are we ready to start putting money on which methods they are going to employ for EA...you know, just to keep it interesting?

My bet is that they will have a cutoff of 500k accounts per day between the 13th and the 19th with the last day being any remaining pre-orders. So ya...I'd be in on the 19th for sure. If it is earlier than that, awesome, but I don't expect it to be.

I entered my key the 23rd, but I won't be able to play even if I am allowed in today. It's for a good cause though, a spinning marathon for the family of a colleague that died due to cancer recently. Makes you put things in perspective, it does.

I suspect most people, if not all, will get to play over the weekend. Bioware is just covering their ass with a "worst case scenario" which might lead to people only getting 1 day early access.

All I know is that I personally would be mad if I didn't get in Day 1 considering I registered my code in the first 5 minutes.

I pre-ordered on november. I expect to get in in 1:30h

Quote Originally Posted by Samuelvimes View Post
    I pre-ordered on november. I expect to get in in 1:30h

I like the cut of your jib sir.

Deleted
    i think the whole get in in order when you registered your code thing, is just so , that if things go wrong ,they can just stop letting more people in without making them upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarumaru View Post
    i think the whole get in in order when you registered your code thing, is just so , that if things go wrong ,they can just stop letting more people in without making them upset.
    The stress test went pretty well. And they are hinting at letting people in pretty fast and early. But theyve made it clear that they will not guarentee anything beyond 1 day early access. Incase of an earthquake or something similarly horrible.

But we know it cant be server capacity. Come next week everyone is playing, so capacity i doubt it. They might want to keep things a little controlled to avoid flooding starting zones.