Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I suppose it's a bit like with WoW.. how many people played WoW who had never played a Warcraft game before.. I bet a lot of people were in that position. I know I was. I never felt like it hindered my experience. A story line is a story line.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a SW fan myself either. I only saw one of the movies when i tried the beta, and i still very much liked it. The storylines in the game are awesome, but some parts i didn't fully understand because i never saw the movies :<
    That's why i spend the time during the last beta and the release watching all 6 SW movies :P (i still don't consider myself a SW fan tho!)

I am guy who like MMORPGs and don't like Star Wars ..and still think SWTOR is pretty decent game.. not the best..not the worst...it's okey. You may like it... But if you have similar problems with Star Wars ..like that lore wise everything is just a bit outdated (it really doesn't feel like proper modern sci-fi), you will probably quit sooner than later.

For me the lore and story of a game is very important, and since I do not care for Star Wars at all, I was turned off quite early by this game.

It's so much easier for me to relate to and love Fantasy than sci-fi, and as such WoW/GW2 appeals something fierce to me, despite them being very different from LOTR, which of course is my favourite story of all time.

Alright. Where to start? First, this game isn't a pure MMO in the traditional sense, as it is extremely story driven. It really feels like a single-player game. You have cut-scenes for EVERY quest you do. And you have a unique storyline for every single class in the game. There are only 4 starting zones, 2 for each side, with 2 classes sharing a starting zone. Which means you'll have to wade through the same non-class quests' cutscenes, even with a skip button, if you decide o check out the other starting zone class.

A lot of the UI and early group questing seem dated in some ways (group questing should be great fun for those starting off now - but how hard will it be to find someone to do it with in 6 months or a year...that's when these might be a problem). No addons yet, no damage meters, etc.

You get access to PVP "warzones" at level 10. Huttball has gotten a lot of praise for being fun.

However, you're stuck on your starting planet until you finish your class quest storyline. And then you can't go exploring off your side's main planet until you finish there, at which point you get a starship. There aren't that many "operations" (raids) in the game at this point.

If you've played and loved BioWare games, you should love this. If you love single player games which are heavily story-driven, and wanted to MMO in such a game, this is definitely for you. If you don't care about stories and just want to get to the action, this might not be the game for you.

Myself, I'm here for the 8 storylines. But the MMO aspects....I'd say that PVP is pretty good, but raiding is a bit behind the curve for opening at this point, even for a new game (2 for starters? Not enough, IMHO). It all depends on how quickly new raids are added.

As to Star Wars; this ain't George Lucas's Star Wars, thank goodness. There's a lot of good stuff in this game to start off with; as with all MMOs, it remains to be seen as to how it adapts and grows as time passes, how good is support, how good communications with the subscribers, to determine whether it will last.