Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not better than Rift but netter than WoW. It runs smoother than Rift. Rift has so much going on you have to trade graphics for performance. I like Toes animations more than Rifts.

WoW is meh 7 years old, but can run on a toaster
    TOR is a Monet' it looks great from afar, but when you run up to it looks bland and not even remotely detailed. They do have combat animation down.
    Rift - severely detailed and I dare anyone to try and argue this. Combat animations are mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

All 3 come down to taste. Personally WoW and TOR are aimed at children and teenagers and Rift is aimed at adults with more realistic taste.

I am surprised at the level of maturity in this thread. I was sure it would have turned into a big flamefest by page 2.

My opinion is clouded by the fact that when I played rift it was still on my crappy old laptop and not this new better one that I've been playing wow and tor on. I think rifts style makes it really hard to compare it with wow and tor which are of similar style. I don't personally like the rift style, it wears out fast in my eyes, but that's a matter of opinion. I do think however that swtor has better graphics than wow, obviously since it's a newer game and also it takes twice as much ram for my laptop to run as wow does. There's also a big difference in the way tor world is built, it looks massive and the houses etc are huge compared to wow. Some people enjoy this and some don't, I'm part of the first bunch as I just love it. I spent 15 minutes staring at the sky of Nar Shaddaa in beta wishing we had spaceships already on Earth.

So, my opinion is yes better than wow and yes better than rift, but the second one's more in the eye of the beholder than the first one.

MainTankasin - Consular/Inquisitor Tanking

Deleted
    No idea What engine WoW uses buts Its running flat out, theres nothing else they can squeeze from it, But I still think WoW looks nice and playes really tight and smooth

Rift I think used the CryBaby Engine or is it gamebyro, Buts Its a crap imo...

Tor Uses HeroEngine and its just ticking along at the moments in 1st gear...

Wouldnt be to clever to make a MMO that only overlocked i7 powerhouse could play...

Deleted
    if you compare the details of character armor of wow and swtor, swtor loses by a long shot. enviroments on the other hand look better in swtor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohai View Post
    if you compare the details of character armor of wow and swtor, swtor loses by a long shot. enviroments on the other hand look better in swtor.
    if by 'details' you mean 'has spikes that stick out 14 feet from my characters' body', then I agree, TOR does lose that race.

Just remember too that if you played the beta you didn't see the full release graphics for SWTOR. Personally I like WoW's graphics. My guess is SWTOR will be better with RIFT ahead of both of them by a bit, but since I preordered in July and DIDN"T REALIZE I HAD TO REDEEM MY CODE UNTIL NOV! (UGH, I'm so stupid!) I haven't gotten my invite yet, so I couldn't tell ya

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW graphics are not bad they are different as well as TOR are.
    Good graphics doesn't mean realistic graphics that's the point, of course Rift is far more detailed but you can't compare it to WoW or TOR since they have different philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    On a crap PC like mine Wow actually looks nicer than SWOTOR for character models - as the turned down detail textures are eye bleedingly ugly in my personal opinion. Trees and landscapes look nicer in SWOTOR. Although it is years ahead of wow so it should do!

Rift looks quite nice on my PC, so i would probably place rift top - but this is a highly subjective opinion clouded by my bad pc to be fair :<
    Without fanboying, The graphics in SWTOR are occasionally worse than those of world of warcraft. It lacks the polish that WoW has gotten over 6 years and WoWs textures are of better quality and have clearer and brighter colors. You especially find this in environmental textures such as rocks, cliffs, etc. WoW also has the advantage in terms of style, since in SW:TOR everything seems to be derived from squares.

It can't begin to hold a candle to Rift though. Not by a large margin.

Technically SWTORs graphics may be better but the overall art style and aesthetics of WoW is superior. If WoW had SWTOR's technical capabilities it would be night and day. Blizzard games just have more polish.

That said, SWTOR still looks great and I did a lot of sightseeing just a few minutes ago when I arrived at Coruscant. Enjoying the game a lot.

I do wish they would have taken the graphical quality a little furthe in SWTOR though. They were very conservative so it will run on ancient machines but everywhere I go I'm getting over 100fps on maxed settings - seems like wasted potential. I would gladly add more detail and slow it down to 50-60fps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I think realistic graphics kills some of the whole "video game" experience.

Mike Tyson's Punch-out is better than 90% of the games that come out today.
    I'm with you on that....to an extent. Most FPS's today are becoming too realistic and the whole 'game' aspect is diminished. Games like Goldeneye (on the N64), though serverly poor graphics by todays standard is, and I think so much better game because of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the latest MMOs graphics are far beyond WoWs graphics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bendak View Post
    Technically SWTORs graphics may be better but the overall art style and aesthetics of WoW is superior. If WoW had SWTOR's technical capabilities it would be night and day. Blizzard games just have more polish.

That said, SWTOR still looks great and I did a lot of sightseeing just a few minutes ago when I arrived at Coruscant. Enjoying the game a lot.

I do wish they would have taken the graphical quality a little furthe in SWTOR though. They were very conservative so it will run on ancient machines but everywhere I go I'm getting over 100fps on maxed settings - seems like wasted potential. I would gladly add more detail and slow it down to 50-60fps.
    If your refering to SWToR beta, then the launched game should allow for more tweaking of settings. When I had chance to test SWToR some settings were defaulted into specific settings. I hope things like anti-aliasing and the likes will be there on launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaran View Post
    If your refering to SWToR beta, then the launched game should allow for more tweaking of settings. When I had chance to test SWToR some settings were defaulted into specific settings. I hope things like anti-aliasing and the likes will be there on launch.
    *whisper* it's live* whisper*

There's an option to alter AA in the ini files, as far as I know, but beyond that, no additional options in the live version.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shewkoi View Post
    sorry, but SWTOR's graphics are far superior to those other 2 games.

just look at the way trees are created in the games. in TOR, they look like actual trees, real branches, individual leaves, etc.. in wow and rift, its just a 4-5 sided trunk with flat textures thrown all over it at different angles that makes it appear to have foliage.
    Yeah, and it is like in Rift. If your PC cant handle these graphics they are really BAD....really REALLY bad

and the graphics are better, the animations and motions are not. Its like you are steering a puppet.

15+ Year Old Account
    The graphics are indeed beter, cause it uses a beter and newer engine, but dont think to get blown away from the graphics

Atleast, i wasnt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zushakon View Post
    The graphics are indeed beter, cause it uses a beter and newer engine, but dont think to get blown away from the graphics

Atleast, i wasnt.
    To me it's more the general art style of the game, it just feels so bland and empty, stuff does look very nice and clean but there's so little else to it, like many armors just feel like skin texture changes with minimal model changes if any.

I do know that they are following the stylistic style of SW but still I think the movies felt more vibrant.

Deleted
    SWTOR has the base for better visuals, but sadly doesn't utilize it to it's full extent for the moment.

WoW has way better shadows, massively better water, better texture work overall, usable built in AA and utilizes DX11 at least for minor improvements.

SWTOR's shadows look like they were meant for Lego SW, the water was better done in Morrowind in 2002, textures outside of conversations are hillarious - there were NPCs and stuff so blurry it looked like the textures were meant for systems with a 128mb video card, the removement of the already unusable greyed out AA option made me wonder, and last but not least supporting only DX9 in a 2011/12 release borders on unbelievable. Sometimes I wondered if TOR was originally meant to be released on consoles aswell. Either that, or Bioware needs to learn again how a proper game for the premium platform the PC is is made.

Anyway, I have high hopes that this stuff will be sorted out in the coming months. This things aside, TOR looks gorgous. The scale of how massive everything is, the beautiful landscapes, the outstanding animations, it's just great.

I can't comment on Rift because I never played it.

after forcing AA SWtor looks alot better than WoW, as for being better than Rift i cant really tell you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    after forcing AA SWtor looks alot better than WoW, as for being better than Rift i cant really tell you
    Comparing WoW to SWOTOR is like comparing BF3 to CS1.6, it's such a huge gap in between them it should not even be a thing, rather compare it to other recent games like skyrim, witcher 2 and such.